Community discussions

MikroTik App

youbecha
just joined
Topic Author

802.11b for iTach wifi device.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:38 pm

I already have a long term answer...but in the short term...

...I have a Global Cache iTach WF2IR device. It puts an IR transmitter (or receiver) on the wireless network. (no ethernet any where near the location).

According to the minimal support I could find, it will only work on original 802.11b 2ghz WIFI.

It refuses to connect to my 2ghz g/n network...doesn't even show up in the logs as attempting to connect.

I attempted to add a 'guest' ssid just for the purpose of having a b-only network on its own SSID...but no that just trashes the rest of the 2ghz network.

Other than the four common answers that will be posted (use ethernet, get a different AP/router just for this one device, read the docs, throw it in the trash)

Are there any ideas?

Mic

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 802.11b for iTach wifi device.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:21 am

I attempted to add a 'guest' ssid just for the purpose of having a b-only network on its own SSID
How would you do that ? You did not specify the MT AP model ... .
With most MT AP, you have 1 radio in the 2GHz band, and one (sometimes 2) in the 5 GHz band.
Master wifi interface WLAN1 and WLAN2 set the operation mode of the radio. The extra virtual WLAN interfaces have no separate setting. (For newer AP on wifi 6 : wifi1 and wifi2)
But as we are talking 802.11b , let's limit this to the classic driver with WLAN1 and WLAN2.

802.11b is only for the 2 GHz band (typical WLAN1)

Klembord-2.jpg
Backward compatibility can force the AP to use the b-protocol beacons with DSSS encoding, even if it is set to -only-G,G/N or -only-N.
b-protocol beacons are normally only at 1 Mbps, and each AP/SSID then consumes 3% of the airtime in a 20MHz channel.
Receiving some device's 802.11b signal will enforce the b-protocol for compatibility, spreading the b-mode onto others.
The AP may not accept 802.11b only clients. But it will reduce its beacon rate for compatibility.

Some reading: https://www.excentis.com/blog/disabling ... ap-or-not/

There is no need for a b-only network. You would need a separate radio to have this as extra. And just being in the same channel is enough to trigger the protection mode (eg. neighborgs could trigger it). 802.11b travels far, and goes through walls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

youbecha
just joined
Topic Author

Re: 802.11b for iTach wifi device.

Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:30 am

Thanks, yea that is what I saw, and that is what I was afraid of.

Oh well...time for plan b.

Mic