Community discussions

MikroTik App

yacsap
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB5009UPr+S+ Eth2 Lit up by itself

Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:47 pm

I wanted to share my video about Eth2 Lit up even without a network cable plugged in. Is this normal?

Have a look at this 24 seconds video I made:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/029H6ip ... HMUnO2lO9g

RouterOS version when I got is v7.4, and I upgraded both RouterOS and RouterBOARD firmware to v7.8, then reset to factory default without keeping anything, but the problem persists.

I’d appreciate it if there’s anyone who has the RB5009 series willing to try to reproduce my issue and see if Eth2 of yours is also lit up.

It would be great if someone from MikroTik official can comment on this.

Cheers

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB5009UPr+S+ Eth2 Lit up by itself

Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:52 pm

There is only one possible conclusion,
if you really installed everything with NetInstall and also updated the RouterBOOT:

Is broken.

Contact the distributor to have it replaced under warranty.

liviu2004
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:53 pm

Broken because it lights up a few seconds after power on?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:29 pm

Does it work apart from the led ?

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:35 pm

I had a similar experience on a CCR1009 where ether1 stopped working but kept lighting up with no cable plugged in. What is strange is that I could assign an ip address to it and ping that address which would respond properly but connect a cable to that port with device but no response. I could disable the port but it would still light up.

yacsap
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:41 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my discussion regarding the issues I've been experiencing with my router.

I appreciate your input and suggestions for troubleshooting the problem, including performing a NetInstall using RouterOS 7.8. Unfortunately, the issue persists even after trying these steps.

The port itself is normal and working as expected.

Update: This morning I also tried powering the unit using PoE on Eth8, but the Eth2 is also lit up even without a cable plugged in.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:44 pm

Two options then

Return it
Or
Don't look at the led anymore since it does work for the rest.

I would go for second option. Usually those devices are in a cabinet stored away.
Who cares what the leds do then ?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:17 am

Seem a few things to try, this is the PoE-enabled... One possibility the PoE detection is has awry – software or hardware, harder to know.
- Spray canned air into the port?
- Turn off the "auto" PoE on port, does that have any effect?

If those fail... I'd open a case with distributor/Mikrotik, and/or exchange.

The last option would be to ignore it — unresolved small problems, often becomes bigger problems later.

yacsap
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:02 am

I've just submitted a ticket to MikroTik support and I'm waiting for confirmation from MikroTik official that this router behaviour is normal before I put it into live use on Sunday. Could someone please confirm if the behavior I described is normal and not a sign of any potential issues? I'm sure there are other users of the RB5009Pr+S+ here who could offer some insight. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:47 am

I have one in my lab I use to test containers. I haven't seen weird things with the lights. e.g. No ethernet, no light.

But the power/PoE options are nice, but complex. I disabled PoE on all ports since I don't need it RN & just using the power supply it came with.

Did you upgrade the firmware after you updated to 7.8? /system/routerboard/upgrade

yacsap
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:46 am

Yes, after I updated the RouterOS, I also upgraded the RouterBOARD firmware to v7.8.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:09 am

I have the non-PoE version.
Can't say anything about the lights since it's stored away out of sight.
Other then that, it works fabulously.

I do have seen some managed switches (1 D-Link and 1 Cisco) with a customer where I noticed similar behavior on some ports (in total on maybe 60 switches or so).
Those devices still run fine since the first time I noticed it (several years ago already).
A bit more of a challenge to find out issues but a big sticker on the device makes me aware each time I am there.
Those 2 ports where never a cause of problem (besides for not pulling their share for giving enough light in the cabinet :lol: )

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:23 am

Main question, when it boots ir RouterOS , does it work as expected???

I have seen several boards, usually early revisions that have different LEDs misbehaving during the RouterBOOT, some of them can be fixed by RouterBOOT upgrade, some of them are hardcoded in factory when installed. usually it is first Ehtnernet LED that is attached directly to CPU (in this case it is Ether2). So i would say it is common, nothing to worry about.

In any case when RouterOS loads, it should take over all funcionality of any LED and everything should work corretly.
Personally i do not see the reason for RMAs if it works corretly when loaded to RouterOS.

Ca6ko

Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:22 am

Devices with POEs have two LEDs per port. One indicates the presence of the link and the second one indicates that the POE voltage is on. Often they are in the same case with two colors.
So the glow of the first LED without a cable connected usually means that the port is out of order. The glow of the second LED has no effect on the functionality of the port. I have a hap ac lite which constantly glows red LED, while the device works normally. It just has a broken POE indication. Always on regardless of settings.