Community discussions

MikroTik App

pipedoi
just joined
Topic Author

Slow bandwith with Mikrotik 951G-2HnD

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:39 pm

Hello,
i have a problem with the Mikrotik RB 951G-2HnD, I have a internet connection of 1 Gbps. We use pppoe. Without the mikrotik router, connected direct to a PC, the speed test indicates about 900Mbps. With the Mikrotik router it gets only to 350Mbps (only 1 pc connected, on ethernet not wireless). I tried the cheapest Tenda gigabit router and i get speeds up to 800 Mbps. What can be wrong with the mikrotik (default settings, only PPPoE user configured)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Slow bandwith with Mikrotik 951G-2HnD

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am

The cpu is just not powerful enough.
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB951G-2Hn ... estresults
See the profiler to get an area to improve in your settings. What ros version do you use?

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Enable fasttrack, should give you ~800mb

sebadamus

Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:45 am

Hi, sorry if this post is kind of old, but the same happend to me with same router and latest 7.8 firmware. What I found is, first if enable fasttrack speed goes up some, mainly download speed but upload speed remains about 90 Mbps aprox. (download about 130Mbps max)

My installation is simple, one streaming tv box wifi device where I get tv and netflix (not 4k, just 2k or less).

What I found is that my problem is the virtual wireless, I have a virtual wireless interface for a "guest network", so if I disable this interface speed goes up to almost limits of my provider (300Mbps)

So, in my case unless there is some other thing... will left disabled the virtual wiereless interface for guest network (that I dont use) maybe as its a software interface the router CPU get too much load even if nothing is connected to that interface.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:47 am

Would you think after 5 years that CPU got more powerful ?
Also keep in mind that specific device was released in 2013. Ten years ago.

If you don't use that virtual interface, leave it disabled so whatever processing power the CPU has to offer, can be directed towards the used interfaces.
Also, if you do not use any of the specific ROS7 features, it might be possible you get better performance when staying on ROS6 for that device.
ROS7 is quite a bit heavier then ROS6. Again additional load on CPU.
I would try that first.

sebadamus

Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:24 am

Would you think after 5 years that CPU got more powerful ?
Also keep in mind that specific device was released in 2013. Ten years ago.

If you don't use that virtual interface, leave it disabled so whatever processing power the CPU has to offer, can be directed towards the used interfaces.
Also, if you do not use any of the specific ROS7 features, it might be possible you get better performance when staying on ROS6 for that device.
ROS7 is quite a bit heavier then ROS6. Again additional load on CPU.
I would try that first.
Jaja, like a good wine you say? no... I know it will not get powerful my good friend. What I have just realized now, that before not, happens because I used to have 100mbits bandwith (here in Argentina bandwith is very little compared with maybe yours).

So now that I have 300Mbits, is the time I realized that this router behave like I post before your kind answer.

Just disabled the virtual guest wifi interface and as I post before for the sake of helping another lost soul... that makes the router crawl.