Community discussions

MikroTik App

tororosso
just joined
Topic Author

cap-ac: cannot provide internet

Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:23 am

hello,

I knew going the mikrotik way would be a steep learning curve, but today, I am humbled.

Just bought the HEX-S and cAP-ac. plugged everything, like this:

hex-s mode: router (port eth1)
hex-s port1: to router
hex-s port5: to cAP-ac

connected my pc to the port 2 (ether2), and internet is provided correctly.

powered everything, ran winbox, can access router, upgraded to latest RouterOS version and setup a password for the admin user.
AP has power because I see the LEDS. I see some TX for ether5. wireless package is downloaded and enabled (default)

This is where it gets tricky : I do not know how to make the AP work! Reading reddit and checking youtube, I feel like something is not working properly.
I do not see any wlan in Interface or Wireless category. I see wifi SSID coming from the AP (mikrotik-?????A and B). they provide no internet if connected to.

The 'quick guide' from https://mikrotik.com/product/cap_ac#fndtn-downloads brings me to https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... Guide+G9-b

there is mention of selecting my country, but I do not see this option anywhere on winbox or the 192.168.88.1 webpage.

Do I need to specify my country in order to enable the AP ?

I realize I'm a noob, but where can I find a comprehensible guide on how to setup all of this?

thanks

liviu2004
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: cap-ac: cannot provide internet

Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:58 pm

You cannot setup capac from hexs like that, unless capsman, but that is really not needed.

If in hexs ports 2,5 are in a bridge, set manually IP at your pc in the range of capac; is that 192.168.88.1? Then make yours 192.168.88.2. And open winbox and connect to 192.168.88.1.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: cap-ac: cannot provide internet

Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:21 am

Read Para C......... viewtopic.php?t=182373

Also Para D.