Community discussions

MikroTik App

spyghost
Topic Author

Internet speed cut in half after Hex, direct to modem gets full

Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:13 am

What could be the reason why Hex would chop my Internet speed by half? speedtest and fast.com shows the same results.

I've reset my Hex to factory defaults, with default config just to isolate things, but it still cuts my connection in half. My negotiated connection is 1G so cable between modem and Hex is fine. When I connect directly to the modem I'm getting my full speed.

wispmikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Internet speed cut in half after Hex, direct to modem gets full

Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:24 am

Hi,

What is the contracted speed with your ISP?

Export settings and share:

/export hide-sensitive

Regards,

spyghost
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:07 am

Direct to modem speed is 800mbps.

After connecting to mikortik, it becomes 400mbps.

All cables used are cat6 and nego to 1g.

I've reset to factory default config.

wispmikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:15 am

Hi,

Did you try fasttrack?

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... -Fasttrack

Regards,

spyghost
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:20 am

Factory default already has fastrrack enabled

wispmikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:34 am

And see what really applies?

With your ISP's modem do you really get the speed?

spyghost
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:25 am

yep, direct connection to modem shows correct bandwidth

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:28 am

What RouterOS and firmware version is the hEX running?

spyghost
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:15 pm

hex gr3 ros 7.8

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:30 pm

Check test results on product page. Many of us find number listed under "Routing -> 25 ip filter rules ->512 bytes" to reflect real-life performance pretty well (yes, there are particular use cases where cevices perform much better and there are use cases where devices perform even worse). Mind that for older devices (which were introduced in v6 era) test results are correct when running ROS v6 ... ROS v7, due to architectural changes in used linux kernel, has quite a bit worse routing speed.

It is always possible to downgrade ROS version, factory installed version is the lowest possible. So if your hEX came with v6 from factory, you can try to downgrade to 6.49.7 and see how it performs. Unless you absolutely need some of new features in v7, in which case you'll have to live with lower performance.

spyghost
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:16 pm

Check test results on product page. Many of us find number listed under "Routing -> 25 ip filter rules ->512 bytes" to reflect real-life performance pretty well (yes, there are particular use cases where cevices perform much better and there are use cases where devices perform even worse). Mind that for older devices (which were introduced in v6 era) test results are correct when running ROS v6 ... ROS v7, due to architectural changes in used linux kernel, has quite a bit worse routing speed.

It is always possible to downgrade ROS version, factory installed version is the lowest possible. So if your hEX came with v6 from factory, you can try to downgrade to 6.49.7 and see how it performs. Unless you absolutely need some of new features in v7, in which case you'll have to live with lower performance.
My gr3 came with a more recent ROS v6. I upgraded it to ROS v7 because I was under the impression that it's faster given the hw offloading support which isn't present in ROS v6 for this particular chip

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:25 pm

I was under the impression that it's faster given the hw offloading support which isn't present in ROS v6 for this particular chip

This particular chip has quite a few features which unfortunately are not used in ROS. Feature which got supported in v7 but isn't in any of v6 is HW accelerated switching with VLANs used. Which has nothing to do with routing (even if VLANs are used this way or another). And depending on your particular use case it might not be used even for intra-LAN traffic (if you use device as router/switch combo).

spyghost
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:08 pm

I was under the impression that it's faster given the hw offloading support which isn't present in ROS v6 for this particular chip

This particular chip has quite a few features which unfortunately are not used in ROS. Feature which got supported in v7 but isn't in any of v6 is HW accelerated switching with VLANs used. Which has nothing to do with routing (even if VLANs are used this way or another). And depending on your particular use case it might not be used even for intra-LAN traffic (if you use device as router/switch combo).
My original (and intended config) uses VLANs for separation and control, which may potentially include queue as well (PCQ at the top of my head).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:12 pm

Queuing is currently incompatible with fasttrack (which in turn is prerequisite for L3HW offliading if I'm not much mistaken).

If you use vlan-filtering=yes on your bridge, then indeed v7 should make this part better on hEX. But the part about routing performance I mentioned is still true.

spyghost
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:07 pm

Queuing is currently incompatible with fasttrack (which in turn is prerequisite for L3HW offliading if I'm not much mistaken).

If you use vlan-filtering=yes on your bridge, then indeed v7 should make this part better on hEX. But the part about routing performance I mentioned is still true.
So, if I were to weigh what I need, I'd say preserving bandwidth would be first, VLAN second and queueing last (since I can't do queueing with fasttrack enabled). Is fasttrack a mandarory setting to 'preserve bandwidth'?

With that in mind, I may need to downgrade to the latest ROS v6 then.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:48 pm

If you're saying that having best routing performance is the most important thing your hEX, then yes, downgrading to v6 would be the best way to go.

Fasttrack is instrumental in getting decent performance on devices with slow CPUs (which is almost all Mikrotiks apart from top CCR models).

spyghost
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:10 am

If you're saying that having best routing performance is the most important thing your hEX, then yes, downgrading to v6 would be the best way to go.

Fasttrack is instrumental in getting decent performance on devices with slow CPUs (which is almost all Mikrotiks apart from top CCR models).
I'll be downgrading later and get back on results. Hopefully that fixes the missing badwidth...

Looks like given the fasttrack requirement, queue is a no go for me then.

As far as VLAN is concerned, my only use of it is separation and blocking of 3 untrusted ones from LAN access.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:34 pm

As far as VLAN is concerned, my only use of it is separation and blocking of 3 untrusted ones from LAN access.
If you can isolate those untrusted devices to single router port, then it would be beneficial to use that port as stand-alone port for separate subnet ... that way you wouldn't need VLANs and hence there would be no performance hit when using ROS v6.
If you have to keep using VLANs, then ... as soon as you enable vlan-filtering=yes on bridge, L2 (switching) HW offload is lost and then it's up to CPU-bound bridging. Mind that bridging is much easier on CPU than routing, but it's still a hog. While it is possible to get at wire-speed throughput between a pair of bridge ports, that's not possible to reach simultaneously on all ports (due to switch-CPU interconnect bottleneck) and CPU will be heavily loaded (thus eating into routing throughput).

spyghost
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:42 pm

If you can isolate those untrusted devices to single router port, then it would be beneficial to use that port as stand-alone port for separate subnet ... that way you wouldn't need VLANs and hence there would be no performance hit when using ROS v6.
If you have to keep using VLANs, then ... as soon as you enable vlan-filtering=yes on bridge, L2 (switching) HW offload is lost and then it's up to CPU-bound bridging. Mind that bridging is much easier on CPU than routing, but it's still a hog. While it is possible to get at wire-speed throughput between a pair of bridge ports, that's not possible to reach simultaneously on all ports (due to switch-CPU interconnect bottleneck) and CPU will be heavily loaded (thus eating into routing throughput).
Unfortunately, no :(

- My APs (port going to a POE switch) uses VLAN for separation of 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and guest.
- My proxmox lab uses VLAN for separation of environments as well.

Though it's technically possible to lose the VLANs, I might as well just plug in directly to the modem :|

What could be intresting to know is which is more of a hog vlan in v6 vs routing in v7.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:57 pm

What could be intresting to know is which is more of a hog vlan in v6 vs routing in v7.

You can try :wink:

Think of some use scenarios which apply to your particular use. Then perform tests and save test results, make sure you follow resource utilization on hEX (tool -> profiler -> all CPU). Also take configuration backup and exported config. Then downgrade your hEX to v6 (netinstall would be the best) and re-create configuration. Re-do the same tests and take note of results. Compare them, also compare CPU usage. Then you'll be able to decide which ROS version is better (or: less bad) for you.

spyghost
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:05 pm

You can try :wink:

Think of some use scenarios which apply to your particular use. Then perform tests and save test results, make sure you follow resource utilization on hEX (tool -> profiler -> all CPU). Also take configuration backup and exported config. Then downgrade your hEX to v6 (netinstall would be the best) and re-create configuration. Re-do the same tests and take note of results. Compare them, also compare CPU usage. Then you'll be able to decide which ROS version is better (or: less bad) for you.
Should fasttrack include 'untracked'? Since I implemented hex gr3 with fasttrack, I've only set established and related. After ticking the untracked, I seem to get the full bandwidth. I'm still on ROS7 btw and observing things....

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:21 pm

Default setup doesn't fasttrack untracked traffic.

If you enable fasttracking untracked packets, does firewall still work? I.e. does it block traffic it's supposed to block? What you observe seems suspicious to me ...

nFin1ty
just joined

Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:19 pm

Try enabling flow control on the MikroTik's Ethernet ports where you have connected the modem and your PC.

Tmspeedtests
just joined

Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:30 pm

Hi,

What is the contracted speed with your ISP?

Export settings and share:

/export hide-sensitive
Last edited by Tmspeedtests on Wed May 03, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kokkikaks
just joined

Tue May 02, 2023 12:05 am

Any snooping enabled?.. That severely cut my 1gig line.

Scoox

Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:07 pm

Did OP fix this or return the router and get something else? I'm having the exact same problem. I have even tried disabling all firewall rules just to be sure (I'm running factory defaults anyway). FastTrack rule is present and enabled.

I'm getting 257.17 Mbps download through my TP-Link wireless AP connected directly to ISP router. If I connect ISP router → hEX S → wireless AP I get only 90 Mpbs.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:07 pm

Not the same situation at all, you are using the hex mainly as a switch it appears so would need to know whats coming into the trunk port on the hex ( which vlans etc ) and see the config of the hex as well.

CGGXANNX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:18 pm

Did OP fix this or return the router and get something else? I'm having the exact same problem. I have even tried disabling all firewall rules just to be sure (I'm running factory defaults anyway). FastTrack rule is present and enabled.

I'm getting 257.17 Mbps download through my TP-Link wireless AP connected directly to ISP router. If I connect ISP router → hEX S → wireless AP I get only 90 Mpbs.

If you only get 90 Mbps with the default configuration / no firewall rules, check the network cable maybe? I could be that the ports were only able to negotiate 100 Mbps. You can see the negotiated rate on the Status tab of the Ethernet interface's details window.