Community discussions

MikroTik App

MichaelHallager
Topic Author

ROS7 and OSPF-v3

Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:38 pm

Since upgrading to ROS 7, I have never been able to get OSPFv3 stable. OSPFv2 works as expected and I have deployed a near identical setup for OSPFv3 with the only change specifying interfaces instead of IP ranges. The last time v3 worked as expected was ROS 6. I have waited a while in case its an ROS problem but am now running 7.7 and it still doesn't work right.

The network is fairly simple with a bunch of routers with PTP links (type ptp), loopback (type broadcast) and external PTP (type ptp) links injected into OSPF. Most of the network is connected together via dual redundant links with cost 1 for primary and cost 2 for secondary.

OSPFv2 works but OSPFv3 keeps dropping routes at random.

Are there known areas to investigate as to why?

connectlife
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: ROS7 and OSPF-v3

Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:52 pm

viewtopic.php?t=192253

Do you happen to have the same problem in the above post??

did you open a report to Mikrotik?

sirbryan

Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:53 pm

On all my routers running 7.7, I switched all my OSPFv3 types to broadcast from PTP. Most are dedicated VLANs used for PTP links between routers. After that was done, they all came up have been stable for a week or so. I also had IGMP snooping enabled on one switch, which was causing problems. Had to disable it (fortunately didn't need it).

I use OSPF to distribute static routes (loopbacks) and connected interfaces, then BGP between the loopbacks to announce customer-facing subnets and PD blocks, keeping the OSPF list small.

connectlife
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:59 pm

I also have the same configuration and I noticed instability regarding filtering. Let me explain better, 3 routers in our network (EDGE routers) must send the default route ::/0 to the BNG routers via OSPFv3. BNGs sometimes receive 3 def routes in ECMP, other times they receive it only from R1 or R2 or R3, other times they receive the def route redistributed from another BNG and so on. Filters do not work for forwarded OSPF traffic, only input/output. But I believe it's a BUG, OSPF2 over IPv4 (same configuration on same vlans) works fine and the BNGs get 3 def route 0.0.0.0/0 in ECMP.

BrimadrJoyarx
just joined

Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:41 am

It sounds like you are experiencing some issues with OSPFv3 stability since upgrading to ROS 7. Have you checked to make sure that all of your OSPFv3 configurations are correct and that there are no conflicts with OSPFv2 configurations? Also, have you checked to make sure that all routers are running the same version of OSPFv3? Another thing to consider is whether there are any compatibility issues between ROS 7 and OSPFv3. It may be worth reaching out to the vendor or community for further assistance in troubleshooting this issue.

MichaelHallager
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:05 am

On all my routers running 7.7, I switched all my OSPFv3 types to broadcast from PTP.
Thanks for the info. This was one suggestion offered in a private conversation with an industry associate.

I have also enabled redistribute=connected for OSPF-v3 hence my delay in responding because I wanted to see how it goes. This issue can take a couple of days or more to show up.

cholcomb
just joined

Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:26 pm

Any update on this? I am curious as I have similar issues with ospfv3 and have a similar setup with the vlan interfaces.