Community discussions

MikroTik App

gelcom
just joined
Topic Author

IPTV Switching

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi, I have IPTV and Internet from the same ISP provider.
Both services are supplied from the same router.
This router from my ISP provider has 4 LAN ports.
If I connect my computer in any port it recognizes as an internet port and I get internet. No VLANs needed.
If I connect my TV Box in any port it recognizes as a TV port and I get TV signal.

So far so good.

What I want to accomplish with my CRS 317 with SwOS 2.12 is to switch the TV signal (In from ISP router) to other 3 TV Boxes I have.
If I use an ordinary unmanaged switch it goes ok: I connect port 1 to ISP router and ports 2-4 to my TV Boxes and they all get TV signal.
If I use my CRS317 and connect port1 to ISP router and ports 2-4 to my TV Boxes I get no IPTV signal there. Port 1 says connected but other ports don't.
I presume that ISP router fails to "link" to TV Boxes and recognizes the link as Internet and not TV.
It seams that CRS317 is blocking something from IPTV network so it doesn't get detected as IPTV switching.

Port isolation is set ok: All ports are allowed to communicate to all other ports.

Any ideas on how to solve that?

sorry for my NOOB question

kind regards
gelcom

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPTV Switching

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:02 pm

If I were to hazard a guess, the IPTV is likely using a VLAN for connectivity. Using Torch on the ports that the TV boxes are on may shed some light.

gelcom
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Even if IPTV is using VLANs they should be "forwarded" without any filter to destination ports as all traffic is supposed to pass, right?

BTW: I understand that SwOS does not support Torch

kind regards

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 am

Most dumb switches will handle VLAN tagged traffic because they will simply ignore the VLAN tagging, and pass them along. Most smart switches understand what a VLAN tag is and process them, and then handle them as such. Sorry for the torch reference - I had RouterOS in mind when you said you were running a CRS switch.
You may be able to dumb down the CRS so that it blindly passes the VLAN traffic, but I'm not sure how. The better solution would be to figure out what VLAN is being used for your IPTV (assuming that is the case). A little Google searching might shed some light on it.

gelcom
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:23 pm

Internet uses VLAN10 and IPTV VLAN20 but all 4 ports from ISP router provides untagged access ports so as far as I understand there is no VLAN tagging involved beyond ISP router. I can't understand yet why CRS SWoS can't switch correctly those packages and how to fix that.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:28 pm

Knowing virtually nothing about IPTV (other than what I have read on this forum), are all four ports on the ISP router usable for either internet or TV, or are there specific ports for each?

gelcom
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:51 am

The ports are usable for any service in any combination. If I plug a TV setup box in there it recognizes as an IPTV port. If I plug a computer in there I get internet.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:10 am

My strong suspicion is that the IPTV is using a VLAN and the "normal" computer internet is untagged. That way, if you plug a computer into it, it understands the untagged traffic. The TV box is set up to look for a VLAN so it is happy too. Assuming that is the case, you will need to set up the MT switch to properly pass the VLAN tagged traffic. Should be fairly straight forward.

gelcom
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:20 pm

SwOS has an option in "VLAN MODE" that I can set to "OPTIONAL" so all packages are supposed to go through, with or without VLAN tag.
Even if I set this option I have no luck with IPTV packages to correctly pass.

No luck yet....

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:54 pm

I don't believe that is correct. Optional will allow either untagged or tagged packets, but you still need to tell the switch what VLANs are on which port. At least that is my understanding (and my observation for ports that I have set to optional).

I just did a test. I have WiFi access points that use an untagged LAN for management, and up to four tagged VLANs for different SSIDs. One of those is on port 3 of my data cabinet switch (a CSS326-24G-2S+RM with 2.12 firmware). Therefore, on the VLAN page, the VLAN mode is set to "Optional", the VLAN Receive is set to "Any", and the Default VLAN ID is set to the VLAN that is used for AP management. I started a continuous ping to the AP's IP for one of the SSID (on VLAN 103) from my desktop computer. The pings were working perfectly. I then on the VLANs page, removed the Members checkbox for VLAN 103 for port 3 of the switch. The pings started failing. I then replaced the checkbox for VLAN 103 on port 3 and almost immediately the pings started working again.
This matches my expectation. You have to specify what VLANs are in use.

gelcom
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks for the reply but I think this is not a VLAN related problem.

In a way to troubleshoot I migrated SwOS to RouterOS so I can use Torch to see what's going on as you suggested.

There is no VLAN traffic at all!

Port15 comes from ISP Router:

Port2 is plugged to TV Box:

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:43 pm

Back to basics:
If I use my CRS317 and connect port1 to ISP router and ports 2-4 to my TV Boxes I get no IPTV signal there. Port 1 says connected but other ports don't.

Port state connected means that port established basic ethernet connectivity with connected device, mostly this means both ends successfully negotiated speed and duplex settings. No actual traffic needs to pass the connection at this step.

If TV boxes are powered on and port on CRS317 stays in not connected, then you should troubleshoot this step. Many IP TV boxes have ethernet connections supporting only 100Mbps speed so make sure RJ45 SFPs you use in CRS317 do actually support 100Mbps autonegotiated speed while running SwOS. And that 100Mbps is enabled as negotiable speed ...

gelcom
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:05 am

If TV boxes are powered on and port on CRS317 stays in not connected, then you should troubleshoot this step. Many IP TV boxes have ethernet connections supporting only 100Mbps speed so make sure RJ45 SFPs you use in CRS317 do actually support 100Mbps autonegotiated speed while running SwOS. And that 100Mbps is enabled as negotiable speed ...

If I connect TV Box with "autonegotiate" active the port stays offline and I get a "no link" message even if advertise is set to all options on CRS. To connect to that port I need to manually set the speed so I get a "link ok" message. Is there any other way to confirm that I have no connectivity even if RouterOS/SwOS says it does?

kind regards

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:54 am

If I connect TV Box with "autonegotiate" active the port stays offline and I get a "no link" message even if advertise is set to all options on CRS. To connect to that port I need to manually set the speed so I get a "link ok" message.

This problem is quite hard to troubleshoot. There are actually two properties which have to be right for a link to actually work: speed setting (e.g. 100Mbps) and duplex setting (e.g. half-duplex). My experience is that interfaces show "established" (green light illuminates) as soon as speed is right. However, to reliably pass traffic, also duplex setting has to be right. And in my experience if things have to be set manually, then most probably duplex has to be set to half-duplex. You may want to experiment with different settings .... but, as I said, you'd have to use some troubleshooting tools on the TV boxes, but they seldom come with anything remotely usable in this regard, so you're in the "try&fail" mode ...

RoccoFigueroa
just joined

Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:38 pm

It sounds like your ISP's router is using a specific VLAN for the IPTV traffic, and your unmanaged switch is passing that traffic through to your TV boxes without any issues. However, when you connect your CRS317, it is not properly passing the IPTV traffic to the TV boxes.

haywoof
just joined

Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:13 pm

It's totally normal to have noob questions, so no worries. It sounds like you've got a bit of a tricky situation going on. Have you tried checking the VLAN settings on your CRS 317?

RoccoFigueroa
just joined

Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:52 pm

It's totally normal to have noob questions, so no worries. It sounds like you've got a bit of a tricky situation going on. Have you tried checking the VLAN settings on your CRS 317? That might be the issue if the TV signal is not recognized as IPTV. The ordinary unmanaged switch may allow the TV signal through without VLAN configuration. As for watching fuboTV in Mexico in 2023, you can check out https://onlinetvcast.com/guides/how-to- ... -in-mexico for some options. They might have some options for streaming sports and other content. Just make sure to use a VPN to protect your identity online. Good luck with your setup!