Community discussions

MikroTik App

mgarofano
just joined
Topic Author

Two PPoE connections, same VLAN ID

Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:26 pm

Hi everyone! I have been tying to solve the issue for several days now and will be grateful to anyone who'd be able to help. Here is my current scenario: 1 CCR2116-12G-4S+ that needs to get its 2 WAN connections from 2 different ISPs that provide me a FTTH connection through 2 ONT interfaces. Both these connections are identical, they require the setup of a PPoE client on a tagged VLAN (835), only the username and password parameters will differ. The main issue here, as you can imagine, is that I cannot create two VLANs with the same ID in RouterOS (understandably, of course). I then turned to VLAN translation but realised then that CCR2116 does not seem to be capable, switching-wise, of performing egress-vlan-translation/ingress-vlan-translation (getting an error while trying to set it up). I eventually tried to use bridge-based VLANs with also no luck and also to set up a switch rule that would take a given VLAN ID (I created one with a different ID: 101) and changed it to 835, then again with no effect. I apologise if this may sounds obvious to most of you but I've literally tried searching the whole web without success.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Two PPoE connections, same VLAN ID

Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:32 pm

Shure you can, but you have to name it different

Just Name it VLAN_ISP 1 with ID 835
And VLAN_ISP2 with same id on different interface

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:00 am

To make what @mistry7 wrote a bit more clear: use both physical interfaces, used to connect both ONTs, in stand-alone manner, i.e. remove them from any bridge. Then create two vlan interfaces, one per physical interface, with different names but same vlan-id.

To clarify: none of Mikrotik devices currently support HW offload of PPPoE. Meaning that in case of your WANs it'll be CPU doing all the work and none of switch chip VLAN functions would make it easier in any way. So having your WAN interfaces in bridge would gain you nothing.

mgarofano
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:28 am

Much appreciated I am going to configure this today and report back. I was so certain it was impossibile to have two VLANs with the same ID in RB that I just overcomplicated the whole setup.

mgarofano
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:23 pm

I am able to confirm it works as expected. Thanks again, everyone.

mgarofano
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:50 am

Hi! Although the suggested setup does work, I am faced with another issue. This ISP’s PPoE server seemingly assigns an arbitrary Dst. Address , 192.168.1.100 to the route for this connection. The third connection I need to setup from another ISP that does the same, it is also a PPoE that will use 192.168.1.100 as Dst Address according to the PPoE client. How could I overcome this limitation? I don’t believe I can have two routes to 192.168.1.100 , maybe I am simply confused (and wrong :)

Right now I have:

Local Address redacted.my.static.ip%TIM225-PPoE .Dst. Addr 192.168.100.1/32 (set by the PpoE client with the add default route option).

Perhaps I should not tell the second PPoE client to create a default route and create a second static route myself through that specific PPoE interface, without ever specifying 192.168.1.100 at all? Or do I need VRF?

Thanks again for your help!