Community discussions

MikroTik App

kolokotronis
just joined
Topic Author

Unstable Network Performance in Multiplayer Lan with 16 Desktop Computers

Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:24 pm

I am experiencing unstable behavior in a multiplayer gaming environment when connecting 16 desktop computers to a managed 2.5 Gbps switch via wired Ethernet.
The game instability occurs when the desktop Ethernet adapters are configured to operate at speeds of 1000 Mbps or 100 Mbps.
However, when I reduce the ethernet speed to 10 Mbps, the game stability improves and initial connection to the server is done.

The server is in the same intranet but has a 1000mbps connection.
The traffic load when all the clients are connected is about 10-100kb/sec per client.

The switch is MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+RM and is simple configured as a bridge between ports with a DHCP server.

Firewall is disabled

NAT I assume is enabled.

I would appreciate your assistance in identifying possible causes for this issue and any suggestions for resolving it.
Potential factors that might be contributing to the unstable performance include:

Network congestion due to increased traffic of packets?
Inadequate switch capacity to handle the combined throughput of all 16 computers running at 1000 Mbps or 100 Mbps simultaneously?
Signal degradation or interference caused by the quality or length of the Ethernet cables used in the network?