Community discussions

MikroTik App

tihovsky
Topic Author

Prioritization without queue limits

Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:24 pm

Hi there,

Using using satellite connection with guaranteed CIR, but often achieving MIR which is double speed to CIR.
So I am looking into any way that I can prioritize certain traffic type (mangle marking) over other traffic when achieving MIR since connection is quite expensive.

However, any queuing setup requires DL/UL bandwidth to be set for the link, which I obviously cannot do since MIR is always changing and too fast to handle changes manually.
Earlier on some older VSAT modems these MIR changes were not so dynamic, thus regular queuing with 3/day queue speed adjustments were fine to do,
but now MIR changes on 20 min basis after VSAT modems are replaced with new ones, so it is not possible anymore to adjust these queue speed thresholds manually.

The only thing that pops to my mind is fast forwarding, but not sure if it expedites certain traffic over all other or just bypasses some chains to reduce hardware use.

Queue types used earlier are simple with PCQ and mangling to mark packages with certain priorities.

Is there anything else that I could set like fq_codel queue with guaranteed response time for certain traffic, but without specifying bandwidth DL/UL limits for it?
Trouble is minimal response time is 600 ms, typical response time is 800-850 ms and goes up to 1000 ms when link fully congested.

Or somehow else expedite certain marked traffic over other marked traffic prior to sending it out through the WAN interface?
Or get high priority traffic (low speed UDP = VOIP mostly) to be transmitted out-of-the-order somehow?

Any ideas would be highly appreciated and I hope I can take it from there.

Thanks!