Community discussions

MikroTik App

datacenterdude
just joined
Topic Author

CSS326 VLANs with pfSense and VMware Distributed Switch

Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:55 pm

I am trying to virtualize pfSense 23.01 in my homelab environment using vSphere 7U3 and the Distributed Switch, and having some trouble getting the correct VLAN configuration in SwOS (v2.13) to support this. Currently it is virtualized already, but the ISP and ESXi hosts are physically separated onto an unmanaged 5-port switch. This has worked great as a fallback plan while I figure out the proper VLAN configuration necessary to enable use in the Distributed Switch.

The architecture is:
ISP (Arris Surfboard SB8200) > CSS326 (VLAN69) > vmnic9 on ESXi Hosts 1/2/3 > pfWAN Portgroup in dvSwitch (VLAN69) > pfSense (vmx0.69 WAN)

I've tried almost every combination of any/untagged/tagged, and enabled/strict/optional and none of them seem to allow the interface to come up in pfSense.

The end goal is to pull my publicIP through to the pfSense VM, but completely walled off from anything else on the network. Only these 4 interfaces will be in VLAN 69.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Once this is solved, I'll be contributing the HOWTO documentation to NetGate for pfSense and making video content for the future on my youtube channel.

/DCD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.