Community discussions

MikroTik App

PaJaBuzz
just joined
Topic Author

CRS310 Fan

Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:51 pm

Hi All,

I have a couple of Mikrotik products as I gradually migrate my home network and lab over and so far really enjoying getting into it.

One thing I have found quite frustrating about my CRS310 is the noise of the daft little fan.
With a bit of 3D printing and some adapters I have reigned in the noise of the 30mm fan by replacing it with an externally mounted Noctua 40mm, and mounting a 50mm Gelid fan over the SFP cages.
The frustrating part is that it appears to have a PWM header given the 4 pins, but it is only delivering 12v full speed or off.

I have read that we have no access to fan control in the ARM based Routerboards, but is there any possibility of the board actually winding up and down a bit more granularly, or is it hardware limited in the circuitry?

Kind of annoying that the RJ45 SFP go up to 70c, the fan goes on, down to 65c, fan switches off, up to 70c... etc.
Be much nicer if it hit 60c and it went up to 10-20% PWM, 65c then it went up to 40%... you get the picture.

I'm tempted to wire the Gelid fan directly to an external 12v supply that blows over the SFP slots just to keep it under control but it seems a bit redneck.

I know this isnt a product designed for home/homelab, but it's a bit of a shame something as daft as a whinny 30mm fan taints an otherwise fantastic value product.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

thuety
just joined

Re: CRS310 Fan

Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:21 am

Good to know the limit !
My fan stays off (SFP optical/dac)

thuety
just joined

Re: CRS310 Fan

Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:17 am

look what I just found... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.