Community discussions

MikroTik App

delucis
just joined
Topic Author

Communication between Specific Hosts with Overlapping Subnets

Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:41 pm

I have a unique issue that I cannot figure out if it is even possible.
At a basic level, I need Person A at 192.168.1.1 to communicate with Person B at 192.168.1.1 on a different network.
I need to be able to do this without Re-IPing anything.
Routing-Magic.png
I don't know what the "Magic" can be. I thought this could be handled with NAT, but I am not familiar enough with it yet. It sort of sounds like "Double NAT" with two routers will do what I want, but ideally I can do this with just one. VRFs seem like a path I can go down too, but that is a whole new can of worms. I just think there might be a simpler way to do this. I am certainly not a router genius.

I want Person A to send a message to 192.168.1.4 on their network, and have that translated to 192.168.1.1 on the other network.

More specifically, this is more or less the "real" scenario: We have a PLC, "Main PLC", statically set to 192.168.1.1 on its own private 192.168.1.0/24 network. There's a bunch of other devices this PLC talks to on this network already, and we're adding a robot and a box making machine. Changing the IP address space would be a bit of work and we're trying to avoid it.

The box making machine came with its own PLC and internal 192.168.1.0/24 network. The box making PLC IP Address is 192.168.1.1. The vendor won't change the IPs, it will confuse their techs or something. We don't want to do it for them because we want them to be able to work on it if it needs maintenance.

I have a MikroTik hEX S on hand to play with.

What I need to figure out is how to to make the box making machine PLC look like 192.168.1.4 from the perspective of the Main PLC. What I haven't wrapped my head around is what the Main PLC should look like from the perspective of the box making machine PLC. These devices communicate to each other over TCP port 44818 and UDP port 2222.
Robot-Blissformer.png
Just like...any scrap of help would be greatly appreciated. I've read so much disjointed information at this point that I've confused myself.

I'm also happy to tell the guys that it's impossible....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.