Community discussions

MikroTik App

aspen63
Topic Author

Please help me choose between hap ax2 and ax3 as access points

Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:17 pm

Hello!

I've got RB5009 and need 3 AP to cover my apartment. Thinking about going Mikrotik way for the ease of management through CAPSMAN. At first I will connect them to RB5009 wired for one AP and want to mesh the other two. Later I will connect all three by ethernet cables through Netgear M4300 switch. At my location I can get ax2 and ax3 for approximately 179 and 212 euros respectively. Which way should I go in term of stability and performance? Price is not a big issue here.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Please help me choose between hap ax2 and ax3 as access points

Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:29 pm

Managing expectations....
First of all I am not sure if the ax2 or ax3 contain MESH mesh capable radios. I believe most are looking for seamless roaming??
Hopefully someone will chime in and verify either way but do not assume that they are at this point.

Second, do not base wifi on ease of capsman, why because its an EGOCENTRIC approach, who gives a flying DUCK, if the wifi service/quality is crap.
In other words in order of priority, the USER should come first and that means decent wifi.

Thirdly, Three Access Points isn't that much and since the setup is basically the same for one as it is for three, capsman is not a strict requirement. I say this because using capsman is not trivial, its complex adding a layer of configuration on you , wifi settings and additional processing loads.

Not saying you shouldn't just managing expectations!!

Fourth, depending upon size of apartment, 3 APs may be overkill but since we have no info on space/coverage/obstacles etc........... hard to say.

Fifth, the experience level of users with AX2 and AX3 is very limited, probably more people that have used audience wifi.

Sixth, the questionable level of maturity of wifiwave2 drivers needed and the confusion they bring to the table is not funny......................... It will bring pain........

Seventh: Are your APs going to be wired to the router or are you relying upon the wifi devices to talk to each other to extend the signal ???

Eight, if wired, where are the connections coming from WALL plates?
Last edited by anav on Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aspen63
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:55 am

I want to connect one AP by wire and other two wirelessly so to create mesh network.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:53 am

I want to connect one AP by wire and other two wirelessly so to create mesh network.
For meshing audience was created.

aspen63
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:02 pm

I want wi-fi 6 functionality.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:35 pm

I don't have AX2 but do have AX3 (for now only acting as AP while I am testing it).
I still have 2 AC3's in place in diagonal corners in my house (vertical and horizontal diagonal from each other).

Where I can not get a signal from AC3 on the opposite corner, AX3 still gives me pretty decent signal traversing 2 thick brick walls (about 20 cm / 8 ") and a full concrete floor in between with steel bar reinforcements in it.
Diagonally, that is. Let that sink in. That's about the worst you can have for a radio signal in a house, diagonal traversing concrete and brick (the real showstopper would be full steel plates in the walls, grounded :lol: ).

So if I would have the choice between AX2 and AX3, I'd go for AX3. 2 might be enough already.

Try to avoid at all cost to have one of the APs connected on the backhaul via wireless. Wired is the only way to go.
Besides, AX3 only has 2 radios. If you use 5GHz as backhaul, you're limiting your devices to 2GHz speeds.
If you do the reverse, your backhaul will be limited (but longer reach).
There is never a suitable solution there. Except ... wired.

And yes, for 2 (or 3) devices, skip capsman. It complicates things needlessly.

aspen63
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:57 pm

But doesn’t ax2 have better antenna? I’m a bit confused with the specs.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:05 pm

Where did you get that ?
You really think a device without external antenna provides better capability then a device with the big ears ax3 has ?
Ok, they could have been smaller but they do have a purpose.

I can compare ac2 and ac3 since i used to have them both.
Ac3 won each time.

aspen63
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:16 pm

I look at the official specs of the antennas. Ax2 looks better in this domain. I’m in no way engineer but think the circuitry matters, not only physical size. Do you have any reason not to trust manufacturer’s specs?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:23 pm

It's because of the external anntenas ax3 has to use LESS power.
Look at it from another angle, when sending a signal, which device do you think has the best receiving sensitivity ?

I will let you answer that.

aspen63
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:41 pm

Have no idea where things could go wrong with their design.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:28 am

ax3 no brainer...............

Really getting tired of you making assumptions baseless at that, telling hoelve who has experience with both that he must be wrong.
You have issues!!!

If you want to only believe what you interpret out of the vendor speak, then read this from the product page.

Ultimate power for your whole home
hAP ax³ is our most powerful AX device with the best wireless network coverage so far.

ConradPino

Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:38 am

@anav :lol: ... just don't chew off his foot, we need him walking.

aspen63
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:07 am

So you are telling me to forget about what device maker says (actually, lies) and believe that in such devices only size matters based on someone’s personal experience that one completely different device is better than another completely different device? Ok. I like this scientific approach. Better just go buy longer antennaes for my old router so I could double the coverage while saving my money. Who needs these gain numbers, yeah…

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:21 am

So you are telling me to forget about what device maker says (actually, lies) ...
The way I see it is you're asking a question, you get valid answers but your argumenting on each answer you get.
Then why ask the question if you think you know it better ?

Where is the lie ?
You are not interpreting the numbers correctly.

AX2 needs higher transmission power because it does not have those external antennas.
Again, look at the reception side. Which device do you think has the best sensitivity ?
You still did not answer that question.

If I follow your logic, there would be no need for antennas on base stations for cell phones either. Just stick a couple of square cm's of whatever on a building and it should work.
Then why are cell providers installing all those antennas all over the world ? They must be stupid then ?

External antennas have a purpose. They increase transmission and reception range.
Internal antennas provide a more equal distribution of range (ball shaped). Perfect for a room.
External antennas can provide more doughnut shaped distribution, better for longer range.

Broadly speaking AX2 and AX3 are the same internally. Range wise AX3 is the best of both.

Since you mention this setup will be for an apartment (therefor I assume 1 floor):
If you only need reception within a room, go for AX2. Signal may pass one wall maybe two (depends on material the wall is build with) but I wouldn't expect too much from it.
If you need to go beyond a room, use AX3. Or put an AX2 in each and every single space.
My guess: 2 AX3's placed diagonally and you can cover the whole apartment.

Again:
I have two AC3's (same antenna concept as AX3) and they cover a HOUSE (1 floor is 110 sq meters, there is a full basement, 2 floors and an attic. All walls are brick and floors are concrete)
The AX3 I am toying with now goes from my office on the second floor within the range of the AC3 diagonally placed on the other side in the living room on the first floor.

Your choice.

And forget about meshing using wireless. Use wires for connecting all your APs and when the client hops from one AP to the other, there will be a slight delay.
But AX3 will help your client staying connected for as long as possible to the same AP.

And now I stop responding here.

aspen63
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:36 am

Thank you for your extensive explanation, now you made it clearer. I will connect all AP by wire when I move but at the place where I now live I cannot do this so extreme parts of it are not covered even by 2.4 signal. So I have an idea even before I move to buy a couple of hAPs to make mesh network. I understand the drawbacks but the alternative is to not have coverage at some places at all. I still believe that in my particular case AX2 would be more appropriate. If that won’t work well I have a lot of RJ45s in all rooms to add more AP later

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:25 pm

I still believe that in my particular case AX2 would be more appropriate. If that won’t work well I have a lot of RJ45s in all rooms to add more AP later
Its what I call religious arrogance, combined with "dumb as an ox", a unique combination........
(apologies CP, its what wheelchairs are for ;-P)

aspen63
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:37 pm

I believe that in real life you are not so brave and prone to rushing to conclusions. I see you more as a geek who doesn't give a s**t to things like design, price and many others normal people usually take into consideration. It's a pity I had to see you behaving not the way good people do.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:34 pm

No I just call it as I see it. Anything else would be a lie or pandering.
AX2 is a waste of money, the AX3 for a few pennies more gives you much better performance and more forward growth potential and is not a half baked step towards wifi6.
Its your dime, as you state!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Regardless, its dawned on me that we have been discussing the wrong products or the title is not quite correct.
The ax2 and ax3 are not access points they are WIFI Routers! There are no capax3 access points for example
So the question could be construed as a discussion/comparison between the the radios in each device.

However, you seem to be indicating that there are more important factors in the equation hitherto not communicated previously, namely budget and
aesthetics
Then, that gives us more wriggle room! Lets look at the facts..........

A. You have a fantastic router - the RB5009 and thus you dont need any more wifi routers .
B. You should consider smart Access Points.
C. You have multiple wired outlets and thus a wall mount solution is possible and less obtrusive. ( it would appear rabbit ears are deemed ugly? )
D. You want to spend minimally.

I have similar in my house, MT routers with TPLINK eap245 and eap660HD.
However the EAP660HD is a huge ugly round monster luckily sits up high out of sight so not really an issue and the EAP245 is wifi5 tech (stale).
I trunk port into them and they handle vlans nicely and great performance.

They have come out with better form factor devices for wifi6 and budget friendly.
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Business- ... 362&sr=8-1

They can be (as I do) configured as standalone APs, so dont need any TP omada software crap. The only key would be to turn down 2.4ghz power as you would need very little power and separate channels from each other and ensure sufficient 5ghz power and channel separation to roam around the apartment.

Recommendation: Purchase two of these items and only take one out of the box. Place one temporarily centred in the apartment. If performance is adequate throughout, return the second. If not then move the first one to one end of the apartment and the take the second one out of the box and place it at the other end of the apartment..

( I am going to purchase one myself to play with to replace the eap245 in the basement ( should be here by wednesday )

ps. separate model but this one same width.height but almost 2 inches thick and the ethernet port protrudes signficantly into the wall.
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Business- ... 181&sr=8-1

pps. what should be clear is that by using access points, you can more cheaply convert to newer technology down the line and keep your excellent 5009 for the next 10 years.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:42 pm

The difference in specced antenna gains between ax2 and ax3 is not really significant (around 1dB; ax2 is better on 2.4GHz, ax3 is better on 5GHz). What is significant is 5dB lower Tx power available on ax2 (17dBm-24dBm on 2.4GHz, 15dBm-23dBm on 5GHz) compared to ax3 (22dBm-29dBm on 2.4GHz, 20dBm-28dBm on 5GHz). The lower HW power is at higher rates meaning that in mediocre conditions ax2 will perform worse because available Tx power on ax2 is lower than most country regulations and higher HW Tx power does make a difference.
Rx sensitivity is the same, so performance in direction from station to AP should not be different too much.

Flexibility to orient antennae on ax3 may also improve range/throughput.

aspen63
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:14 am

Thank you for all your inputs. There’s definitely something to consider here.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:32 pm

I want wi-fi 6 functionality.
In that case wait for audience ax, or pair two hap ax3 units together if you want 5ghz meshing. It means one ax unit will mesh, other will be AP for stations.

aspen63
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:41 pm

Can't wait for Audience unfortunately. Won't AX2 allow for 5 GHz meshing?

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:42 pm

Can't wait for Audience unfortunately. Won't AX2 allow for 5 GHz meshing?
You can use ax2, but regular AP/router have only one radio, so 5ghz band can mesh, or be AP - not both at the same time.

aspen63
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:03 pm

You mean it'll use 5GHz as a backhaul so only 2.4GHz will be available for client devices? How AX2 is different from AX3 here?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Please help me choose between hap ax2 and ax3 as access points  [SOLVED]

Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:21 pm

As already indicated: besides external antennas and other form factor, not much difference between AX2/AX3.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:28 pm

Wrong Hoelve........
- the ax2 as MKX indicated has lower wifi output power.
- the axe2 does not have a USB port
- the axe2 does not have a 2.5 Gib port
- the axe3 CPU will perform better due to better cooling, bigger box!

Conclusion: Only after a severe concussion and in a cocaine haze would I ever consider purchasing the ax2.

Dearest Hoelve, How can I make you "see the light" ?? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwgOUzodS6E

In any case the OP should not waste money on a wifi router.
Reasons
A. he has a perfectly good router the RB5009
B. he is looking for wifi not routing.
C. neither the ax2 or ax3 provide mesh........... although in a small apartment I dont think its really needed.

The other vendor business access points provide MESH if using their omada software, although stand alone works great.
The OP seemed offput by the form factor of especially the ax3, so 'looks' is important, and the other vendor has some new flat plate APs that are not ugly.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:39 pm

Details, details, ... :lol:

But I do agree with your assesment he should look at true APs, not routers.

aspen63
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:52 pm

I really want to have a dive into Kinetik ecosystem so I am ready to buy Kinetik routers and use them as mere APs as there are no AX APs from MikroTik now.
But on another forum I’ve been advised that:
- I can surely make my clients roam between MikroTik routers configured as APs when connected to RB5009 by Ethernet cable. This topology I intend to use in my new apartment.
- I can create mesh network with the same equipment and wireless backhaul. This configuration I want to use until I move.
So the latter is in fact not possible even with wireless speeds dropped due to traffic interchange between APs due to hardware limitations? The person who gave me the advice seems to be very competent in MikroTik products.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:03 am

You mean it'll use 5GHz as a backhaul so only 2.4GHz will be available for client devices? How AX2 is different from AX3 here?
No, I mean you buy 4 units.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:12 am

For an apartment ?? Overkill...

Or it must be HUUUGE.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:34 am

Not if you have to deal with thick concrete/stone walls. A friend of mine had to install a whole bunch of APs to get reasonably decent coverage throughout the apartment because of this. The only positive is that he barely notices the neighbors' wifi.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:33 pm

Not if you have to deal with thick concrete/stone walls. A friend of mine had to install a whole bunch of APs to get reasonably decent coverage throughout the apartment because of this. The only positive is that he barely notices the neighbors' wifi.
In overall yes. I have 2 bedroom flat and I have 2 APs. Our buildings have tick walls, so one AP is not enough. You can buy hi gain APs, that can somewhat get thru walls, but issue is stations. I tested ax3 in middle of flat, multiple times noticed laptop and phone drop from AP (extensive data loss - AP didn't hear station for a while). Besides, to get a good WiFi speed you need good signal coverage to achieve good modulation.

But that is not what i mean whit a APs. You need 2 APs per mesh point:

ax2 (receive mesh signal)->RJ45->ax2-> wifi to stations.

The only way how to get 5ghz ax mesh at this moment.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:43 pm

I got a house with really thick brick walls and concrete floors.
Currently covered with 2 AC3's.
2 AX3 will do as well (I got one for test in my office, it reaches all the way to the other corners and other floors of my house)

aspen63
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:06 pm

So is it possible to make mesh network with one Mikrotik router (in my case, RB5009) and several AX routers configured as access points, one of witch connected to the router by wire and others wirelessly to the first one?

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:17 pm

I got a house with really thick brick walls and concrete floors. Currently covered with 2 AC3's. 2 AX3 will do as well (I got one for test in my office, it reaches all the way to the other corners and other floors of my house)

Much the same here but since our house is pretty long we need 2 APs for each floor and 3 in the basement.

However, my friend has his apartment in an old stone house from the early 1800s where the walls are about 40-50 cm thick which was a pretty tough challenge to make it work (not exactly easy to drill through either I can tell you).

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:26 pm

So is it possible to make mesh network with one Mikrotik router (in my case, RB5009) and several AX routers configured as access points, one of witch connected to the router by wire and others wirelessly to the first one?
Theoretically yes.
In post #6 I already explained what are the consequences of doing so.
You will have to give up one of the radios.

aspen63
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:47 pm

So Mikrotik cannot share backhaul with with clients traffic in the same frequency range?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:04 pm

Yes, Audience can.
And then we are back at where we started in the beginning ...

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:11 pm

How did I miss out on this gem!!!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:03 pm

I was already wondering why it took you so long :lol:

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:10 pm

I was already wondering why it took you so long :lol:
I have been really pounding away on these 3 radio WAPs. Need to get them up to par so I can move off Ruckus.

6GHZ is pretty f--king awesome when you are in the wifi soup.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:50 am

My AP replacement arrived and will be testing via my iphone vs AX3 later on.
Nice small form factor for an apartment (POE in).
Only 2.5cm longer then a hex and half as deep..........
Compar2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rox169

Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:36 pm

My AP replacement arrived and will be testing via my iphone vs AX3 later on.
Nice small form factor for an apartment (POE in).
Only 2.5cm longer then a hex and half as deep..........
Compar2.jpg
Hi,

any compare test done? Tnx

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:07 pm

Yeah the small TPLInk wifi6 is no better than the TPEAP245 wifi5 already in place. It has less power and smaller and less antennas and thus not an improvement...... :-(
Speaks to the power of better or more antennas!!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:28 pm

AX3 ?

:lol:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:19 pm

Stick with the subject matter holveo,,,,,,,, we be talking APs, not wifi routers............ must be that brain worm you have. ;-)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:03 pm

I am using AX2 and AX3 as AP here at home.
(ok to be fair and complete: AX3 as AP and VLAN-aware switch)

No problems whatsoever.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:08 am

Will send you cookies!!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:57 am

I actively try to reject those, only necessary ones get accepted :lol:

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:34 pm

My XE3-4 has been pretty solid.

Cheaper than Ruckus... but I still stumble over issues here and there. XV2-21 is pretty close to where I need to be to get clients to stop asking me about Mikrotik wireless

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:51 pm

Sweet device, nice can move to 6E when needed!!
However I dont drive a Ferrari either!

dark77
just joined

Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:49 pm

I am using hap AX3 and AX2 without any issue (with ROS 7.9rc).

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:53 pm

Unfortunately... Some of the places that I have to keep devices connected... Make or loose Ferrari Money Every Day.

Ergo why I had to give up my beloved caps-man.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:45 am

some aproximate data about performance advantage of ax3 over ax2
ax2-vs-ax3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sirbryan

Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:45 am

Saw the topic and just had to come to say this:

Get the AX3.

kravemir
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:04 pm

Why wireless backhaul instead of ethernet?

Proper wireless backhaul requires more channels. You're planning to build this in apartment. And, channels are scarce resource in apartment buildings, because you're sharing wireless air space with neighbors.

And, when neighbors get wireless meshing too, you will produce lots interference to each other, once you start to have overlapping signals from different (yours and neighbors) access points on same channels, because you ran out of free channels. Eventually, you will ruin your wireless performance for each other.

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:19 pm

/interface/wifiwave2/monitor 0                                                           
               state: running
             channel: 5560/ax/eeeC
    registered-peers: 2
    authorized-peers: 2
            tx-power: 25
  available-channels: 5560/ax/eeeC

sys/reso/print
                   uptime: 3d3h54m20s
                  version: 7.12beta9 
                           (development)
               build-time: Sep/25/2023 
                           12:19:18