Community discussions

MikroTik App

macmtik
just joined
Topic Author

MLAG Support On CHR?

Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:21 am

Hello, first time poster. I'm redoing my old homelab and have purchased two CRS328-24G-2S+RM switches and a hEX S for firewall. I've been trying to MLAG the hEX S across both switched and am missing something so I decided to create a virtual environment in VMWare workstation to play and debug what I'm doing wrong -- doing this by creating three CHR VMs. For MLAG I'm following the tutorial at:

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... tion+Group

When I get to the point to go into
/interface/bridge/mlag
in the CHR console (via Winbox) it tells me "bad command name mlag". Is MLAG not supported in CHR? Note I haven't purchased a CHR license yet because I'm just learning... Do I need to buy a license for CHR to get MLAG support so I can test and learn?

Thanks!

slogin
just joined

Re: MLAG Support On CHR?

Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:42 pm

Hello,

Hello, I had the same problem, did you solve it?

Or someone can help us on this ?

I am using the version 7.8

Best regards :) !!
Last edited by slogin on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macmtik
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:58 am

Hi, sorry for the looong delay. I didn't see a notice that anyone had replied.

I have not solved the problem either.

Does anyone know an answer? Is there some way to enable MLAG in CHR?

netravnen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:54 am

Hello, first time poster. I'm redoing my old homelab and have purchased two CRS328-24G-2S+RM switches and a hEX S for firewall. I've been trying to MLAG the hEX S across both switched and am missing something so I decided to create a virtual environment in VMWare workstation to play and debug what I'm doing wrong -- doing this by creating three CHR VMs. For MLAG I'm following the tutorial at:

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... tion+Group

When I get to the point to go into
/interface/bridge/mlag
in the CHR console (via Winbox) it tells me "bad command name mlag". Is MLAG not supported in CHR? Note I haven't purchased a CHR license yet because I'm just learning... Do I need to buy a license for CHR to get MLAG support so I can test and learn?

Thanks!
When I read the intro on the linked page.

"All (1) CRS3xx, (2) CRS5xx series switches, and (3) Ccr2116, (4) CCR2216 devices can be configured with MLAG using RouterOS version 7."

≈ Meaning neither the hEX devices, not the Virtual CHR platform will support MLAG under RouterOS.

The CRS328-24G-2S+RM's can be the upstream MLAG devices. Where MLAG is configured. The hEX's can be be 'clients' with a bond interface with one link to each CRS328-24G-2S+RM.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:42 pm

"All (1) CRS3xx, (2) CRS5xx series switches, and (3) Ccr2116, (4) CCR2216 devices can be configured with MLAG using RouterOS version 7."
As far as I understand, MLAG in ROS7 is only available on devices featuring a Marvell Prestera family switch ASIC.

There is no protocol standardization for the required coordination btw. upstream devices ("Multi-chassis") participating in MLAG groups. There are several vendor specific implementations and MLAG in general only works btw. devices of the same vendor/switch ASIC family.
Mikrotik MLAG seems to be based on a Marvell implementation requiring Prestera ASICs.

macmtik
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:57 pm

Thanks for the additional info. Makes sense. The HEX S got taken out by lightning so I'm waiting for a replacement RB5009 to arrive 😃