Community discussions

MikroTik App

sl0wallace
just joined
Topic Author

Using console to fully configure Wi-Fi access point

Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:17 am

I work with a company making modular houses, which include a small number of Wi-Fi connected devices which communicate with an embedded PC. So far we've been manually setting up a Wi-Fi access point for these devices to connect to, but we'd like to instead be able to provision and configure this access point via some sort of script or API from the embedded PC. The embedded PC provides things like a DHCP server and takes care of routing, we only need the Wi-Fi access point and not a full router.

From what I have been able to find out about the MikroTik devices there seems to be a good level of configuration provided through the console interface. However, I haven't actually purchased a MikroTik device yet (I was considering something like a cAP ax unit) and so haven't tried using the interface – maybe it is simple to do, but I haven't been able to find documentation specifically on using the console interface to configure the Wi-Fi network. Is this possible? I'd need to be able to connect a MikroTik access point fresh out of the box, and have this embedded PC connect to it and then configure the Wi-Fi SSID and key, as well as set channels and transmit power etc.

I've seen that CAPsMAN is available and sounds like it would do most of the above, but in this case I wasn't planning on having a MikroTik router – only the Wi-Fi access point as a standalone device, and so I don't think I'd have access to CAPsMAN.

jonah1810
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Using console to fully configure Wi-Fi access point

Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:31 pm

CLI can program everything. In fact it typically has more than the Gui. But if you have a computer connected directly on the network you can still just use winbox to program it. The whole wiki is a guide on how to use it.

In the cli you can press tab twice to pull up a list of available commands/subdirectories to see what is available.

sl0wallace
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:23 am

Thanks for that. Sound like I should just get a MikroTik access point and start playing around with it!

sl0wallace
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:46 am

Seems like this page in particular describes what I'm trying to do: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WifiWave2