Community discussions

MikroTik App

tspascoal
Topic Author

Replacing a CRS106-1C-5S

Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:19 pm

Hi,

I'm outgrowing my CSS106-1G-4P-1S (I used it mostly for POE Out)

I love it. It is a workhorse, it can handle all my load like a champ and powers all my CAPs and Haps without having to power them locally and reduce cable clutter. But unfortunately 4 POE Out ports are no longer enough.

What would device would you advise me to replace it (or add another one to complement it)?

Requirements:
  • POE OUT ports
  • 1 GB
  • switchos prefered but routeros would do fine as well.
  • SFP is not really needed (no plans of using it in the medium term)
Unfortunately the website doesn't has a way to filter switches with POE ports, but from my understanding there are the choices I have without breaking the bank (8 ports is more than enough)

CSS610-8G-2S+IN would be perfect for me. More ports, not much more expensive BUT no POE OUT so not a choice.

Switches with POE
  • CRS112-8P-4S-IN would be great but almost 4x the price tag of a CSS106-1G-4P-1S
  • CSS610-8P-2S+IN seems also a good choice, but even pricier (I don't really need nor use the SFP ports)
If I have to choose between those 2, the difference is not that big, so would buy the most appropriate one.

The alternative would be to buy a second CSS106-1G-4P-1S which would be ~1/2 the price of the other solutions (and would add 3 more ports)

Did I miss any other solution?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Replacing a CRS106-1C-5S

Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:19 am

You can buy another CSS106-1G-4P-1S and connect between them using back sfp ports with dac sfp cable S+DA0001 or equivalent, then you will have 8 poe ports plus 2 regular rj45 without poe total 10 gigabit ports

tspascoal
Topic Author

Re: Replacing a CRS106-1C-5S

Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:58 am

You can buy another CSS106-1G-4P-1S and connect between them using back sfp ports with dac sfp cable S+DA0001 or equivalent, then you will have 8 poe ports plus 2 regular rj45 without poe total 10 gigabit ports

Thank you that makes it a little cheaper (at the cost of cabling being a little messier (a extra power unit + SFP))

From a bandwidth/performance perspective would that be equivalent?

Since all traffic would pass through one of the CSS106-1G-4P-1S unit anyway (since it will have to go through the backbone/WAN) (the same with a single device that would replace it, so not much difference there).

I forgot to mention, all my traffic is mostly WAN. There is very little data flowing between my devices, the CSS106-1G-4P-1S is one of my chokepoints (to be clear I had zero issues with it so far. It works like a champ)