Community discussions

MikroTik App

SteveROntario
just joined
Topic Author

Quick and dirty AP setup process without wifiwave2 controller?

Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:29 am

Hi all,
I have a CRS312-4C+8XG as my main switch and have the following devices hanging off of it:
  • 1 x hAP ac lite
    1 x mANTBox
    2 x hAP ax3
I was able to use the CRS312 to set up the first two APs using CAPSMAN but sadly learned about wifiwave2 and device limitations when the ax3's both got half configured during the boot-up procedure to program them (No SSIDs).

Can I just program my wifi settings (SSID, security, password) into the hAP ax3's manually instead of fooling around with additional equipment and/or command line programming? I just want it to work, I don't want to become employable on the subject.

Cheers, Steve

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Quick and dirty AP setup process without wifiwave2 controller?

Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:44 am

Ofcourse you can.
That's the way those devices will be used by most users ( without capsman).

Just make sure to use the exact same ssid and security settings as the other devices and you may not even notice.

SteveROntario
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:17 am

Thank you, I got it to work with my ax3s after a bit of fiddling around

The ax3s do not like getting plugged into existing networks at all! What I did was plug in to them directly with an Ethernet cable/laptop to program them. From there I used this script to set up the ax3 as a bridge as the quickset was not being nice at all:
viewtopic.php?t=182246

After that you enable the two wifi interfaces and put in the SSID/security config for each of them. My other devices do not have WPA3 so I only turned on WPA2 on the ax3s. I'm not sure if that's correct but it all works. I have all 4 APs running together without them fighting to take down the wired network like they were originally. Everything is transparent, all of the devices can see each other regardless of AP.

I also confirmed that the RBGPOE is capable of 2.5 gig which is nice. My IP router is a Sagemcom 4000 (Bell Home Hub variant) with 2 gig Internet and links to my wired 10 gig CRS312-4C+8XG. It has been a bit of a chore to distribute the 2 gig Internet wirelessly without using the Sagemcom.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:11 am

The ax3s do not like getting plugged into existing networks at all!
Did you connect your existing network on ether 2-5 of ax3 while running default configuration ?

SteveROntario
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:53 am

The ax3s do not like getting plugged into existing networks at all!
Did you connect your existing network on ether 2-5 of ax3 while running default configuration ?
I don't think so. The intent was to use the 2.5 gig POE port as the uplink so that is how I initially hooked them up. The dealer was nice enough to give me a handful of the POE injectors for free so I have everything POE at my LAN cabinet and deployed remotely without power needed.
There won't be any further tinkering with settings until I start investigating VLANs. :D