Community discussions

MikroTik App

VolleyTom
just joined
Topic Author

CSS610-8G-S2+: Trunk not working via SFP+

Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:47 pm

Hello,
I have two CSS610-8G-S2+ which I want to connect via SFP+ Fiber link.
My Router is connected to Switch1 via Trunk on port 7. This is working fine, I can get IPs from DHCP from several VLANs on Switch1.
If I try the same on Switch2, I do not get DHCP-IPs, if I use the SFP+ Ports, if I use an 1G Ethernet-Port it's also working.

I have the following VLAN-Konfiguration on both switches:
* VLAN-Modes:
VLAN_Modes.JPG
* VLAN-Ports:
VLAN_Ports.JPG

The SFP+ Ports are Up and the Switch says that they are running with 10G.
Link_SFPs.JPG
Here the SPF-Infos:
SFP_Infos.JPG

This is my Port Isolation Configuraiton:
Port_Iso.JPG
And there are no ACLs.

At the Stats I see traffic over the SFP+ Link:
Stats.JPG
And I have NO errors on all ports.

Finally here the system Infos
SystemInfos.JPG

Has someone an idea, what could be the reason, why the trunk is not working via SFP+, only via Ethernet Cable?
Thanks for your help
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CSS610-8G-S2+: Trunk not working via SFP+

Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:11 pm

Let me make sure I am following what you are saying.
Router connects to SW-1 port 7, and confirming both the switch is getting a DHCP address or devices on ports 1 - 6, or both? Traffic passes fine on devices on SW-1 on the various VLANs.
SW-1 and SW-2 are connected via SFP-1 (both ends). Again, confirming that lack of DHCP is for the SW-2, or devices connected to ports 1 - 6, or both. If devices connected to SW-2 are given static addresses, does traffic pass correctly?
Last part is that if you use a Gig-E connection (presumably on port 8 on both switches) instead of the SFP connections between the two switches, everything on SW-2 does work.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with the config, and off hand, I don't know of any reason that the SFP connections should not be fully working.

VolleyTom
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:24 pm

Hello,
Router connects to SW-1 port 7 => Correct
SW-1 provides DHCP-Addresses and access on Port 1-6.
SW-2 provides DHCP-Addresses and access on Port 1-6, when SW-1 and SW-2 are connected via Gig-E-Trunk (E.g. Eth8).

SW-2 DOES NOT provides DHCP-Addresses and access on Port 1-6 to Router, when SW-1 and SW-2 are connected via SFP+.
VLAN-Config is ident for Eth7,Eth8,SFP1 and SFP2 on both Switches.

And I also do not understand this issue.

br
Tom

gabacho4

Mon May 01, 2023 8:17 pm

I've just had a similar issue with my CSS610-8G-2S+ except I maybe discovered the cause ?? When setting up the switch, I had the device powered on and upon inserting the 10G SFP+ transceiver, the switch restarted. Seemed almost like a short or something. Switch rebooted and everything appeared to be well. However, I had no connectivity via the trunk SFP+ port (SFP+ 1 in my case) and the switch was inaccessible unless I connected it to my router via a trunk ether port. After doing all sorts of things to troubleshoot, I decided to just blow away my configuration and try again. To my surprise, this time the SFP+ worked as expected. I then decided to put another SPF+ module in the switch (SFP+ 2) and this yet again caused the switch to reboot. Yet again, access to the switch was lost via trunk SFP+1.

I am still trying to work out the actual solution to the problem, but I so far suspect that one of the two works:

1. Make a backup of a known working configuration and restore it to the switch should this issue occur.
2. Remove the SPF+ transceiver, power cycle the switch, and insert the transceiver only once the switch is back up and running.

I unfortunately need to wait for some down time in order to test these ideas out, unless someone else wants to try first. Should this issue occur again, I will also make a backup of the config (post reboot) so that I can compare the working config (.bin file) to the one that is not working. For now, I'm happy to at least have the switch working as I need it to.

Has anyone else experienced the spontaneous rebooting when inserting an SFP module? What odd is that this doesn't always happen. I'm able to insert/remove, etc the SFP+ module in most every instance. Only sometimes does the reboot occur. Can't figure out for the life of me what would cause this.

VolleyTom
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:48 am

I played around a little bit and the following solution worked for me (but I do not really understand it, because the VLANs Tab is empty).

SW1:
This is the definition in VLAN-Tab:
* Trunk-Ports are Port 7+8 and SPF 1+2, they are in VLAN 1.
* Access-Ports are Ports 1-6, where I define the VLAN.
VLANs.JPG
The VLANs-Tab is empty.
VLAN.JPG
System-Tab
In the General Section I added the Allow-VLAN.

SW2:
VLAN-Tab:
* Trunk-Ports SPF 1+2, they are in VLAN 1.
* Access-Ports are Ports 1-8, where I define the VLAN.

The VLANs-Tab is empty.

System-Tab
In the General Section I added the Allow-VLAN.

Router:
* Trunk-Port is a ethernet-Port, which is part of the BRIDGE-TRUNK.

Perhaps this helps others too.

Have a nice day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.