MikroTik App

qatar2022
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Connect fiber optic to Mikrotik router

Tue May 02, 2023 9:23 pm

Dear all
yesterday I subscript with new fiber optic server from my ISP 500MBP and today they come to my home and install EchoLife HG8240T5 GPON Terminal single and this type of device get configuration and setup from IPS through fiber even if I do factory rest and after booting up the device get configuration directly and I can't change DNS or Doing port forwarding or even change device IP

NOW I'm thinking if I can use mikrotik SFP transceiver 1.5G single-mode with MikroTik RB5009UPr+S+ can I get internet connection, port forwarding and change DNS?
If yes witch type of SFP transceiver I can use?

Best Regards

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Connect fiber optic to Mikrotik router

Tue May 02, 2023 10:07 pm

You can not use a standard ethernet or GPON SFP - these are normally just media converters which change an electrical bitstream into an optical one and vice-versa.

There are some third-party SFPs which include the functionality of a GPON ONT implementing all of the protocol conversion and processing required. As a ONT registers itself with the ISP equipment you have to duplicate the identity it provides in the third-party SFP, it almost certainly will not implement the same management interface which the ISP may detect and block your service if they do not permit the use of third-party devices. There are many threads on the foruk, for example viewtopic.php?t=116364.

If your ISP supports bridge mode in their ONT that is a safer option - it handles the GPON interface and provides an IPoE or PPPoE WAN connection to you router allowing you to control the LAN side addressing and any port forwarding desired.

liviu2004
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 02, 2023 10:25 pm

Why just another device in house? I agree this bad behaviour should stop. In NL this is not permitted anymore and anyone can use whatever equipment they like and fits the provider technical.
So lets stop with this bridge mode bull…t publicity.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 03, 2023 5:26 pm

If your ISP supports bridge mode in their ONT that is a safer option - it handles the GPON interface and provides an IPoE or PPPoE WAN connection to you router allowing you to control the LAN side addressing and any port forwarding desired.
Fully agree. Both my Spectrum cable modem and Frontier fiber ONT are set up in bridge mode. Neither provider had any issue with me requesting that their devices be in bridge mode. The providers can still see their device and do any needed troubleshooting. I can access the Spectrum cable modem via a 192.168 address and my RB4011 gets a public address via DHCP. That way I can log into the cable modem to see if it is having issues. So far, I have not attempted to access the fiber ONT.