Community discussions

MikroTik App

webor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Changeip update not working any more

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:59 pm

I am using MikroTik as a core router for my home network in great combination with changeip for long time but since around 28/11/2015 the changeip does not updates any more.

I am using this script: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dynamic_D ... angeIP.com

It was successful for a long time, but last 10 days log is showing errors: "DDNS: sendig update; connect error; script error: connect error"

I can see that MT is trying to connect to changeip server with ip 204.16.170.40 but not working any more.

Is there any other user who successfully uses changeip nowdays??

I also asked changeip support and from what they say it seems that ip 204.16.170.40 is not going to work any more and I think this ip address is hard-coded into Mikrotik. Am I right??

It seems that there is a new ip address for changeip: 170.178.190.165

dig results:
----
nic.changeip.com. 299 IN A 170.178.190.165

www.changeip.com. 299 IN A 170.178.190.165
----

Can someone help me? Do not know how to resolve this, and I want to overcome this issue because changeip was functioning great with Mikrotik for years. Thank you in advance!!

cicserver

Re: Changeip update not working any more

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:49 am

i also faced this issue for about 2 weeks, but now its working.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:47 am

Cmon , a little script digging is not that hard. Try changing your script to use a specific server:

Original script:
:log info [ :put [/tool dns-update name=$ddnshost address=[:pick $ddnsip 0 [:find $ddnsip "/"] ] key-name=$ddnsuser key=$ddnspass ] ]
Change to use 170.178.190.165:
:log info [ :put [/tool dns-update dns-server="170.178.190.165" name=$ddnshost address=[:pick $ddnsip 0 [:find $ddnsip "/"] ] key-name=$ddnsuser key=$ddnspass ] ]

ajgriesel
just joined

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:25 pm

Good day docmarius

Can you maybe assist with complete script. I have changed the line you said and now I am only getting a "script error: parameter missing"

Any help will be much appreciated.

ajgriesel
just joined

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Good day docmarius
Cmon , a little script digging is not that hard. Try changing your script to use a specific server:

Original script:
:log info [ :put [/tool dns-update name=$ddnshost address=[:pick $ddnsip 0 [:find $ddnsip "/"] ] key-name=$ddnsuser key=$ddnspass ] ]
:log info [ :put [/tool dns-update dns-server="170.178.190.165" name=$ddnshost address=[:pick $ddnsip 0 [:find $ddnsip "/"] ] key-name=$ddnsuser key=$ddnspass ] ]
I have replaced the line in the script as per your suggestion. However I receive an "script error : parameter missing".

Can you please assist or maybe provide me with n complete script? I will greatly appreciate your help!

Kind regards,
ajgriesel

webor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:19 pm

i also faced this issue for about 2 weeks, but now its working.
Dear Cicserver,
Can you please say if you changed something in the script or the problem resolved without your intervention or some 3rd solution...?? Thank you very much in advacnce!

Original script:
Dear docmarius, thank you very much for your offered solution, but it looks that it does not work. In the log I also get same error as already stated: script error : parameter missing

Do you maybe know where is the problem within the script??

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:18 pm

It seems that is a new error...
In your first post it was: "DDNS: sendig update; connect error; script error: connect error"

Maybe try the command line i mentioned in the CLI and see where it fails.
Or comment out portions of the script to find the culprit.

Unfortunately I can not test since I don't use dynamic dns on the router (my provider does this automatically on PPPoE login/IP change).

webor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:22 pm

yes, it is a new error!

It is a result of: If you specify dns-server parameter dns-server=XXX.XXX.XX.XX then Mikrotik requires that you also specify zone=somezone.com parameter. If you omit the zone parameter while specifying the dns-server then the error is "parameter missing".
I have tested this in CLI, and that is the reason why this script also returns error "script error: parameter missing" in the above mentioned situation.

I tried to update changeip through CLI but with NO success. If I specify dns-server=170.178.190.165 and for example zone=changeip.com or zone=other TLD the error is connection timeout. If I put empty zone parameter zone="" than the error is bad zone .

On the other hand, if I specify without dns-server and without zone parameter then it tries to communicate with the changeip server 204.16.170.40 with the error connect error

If anyone with more experience can help, I would really appreciate it! THNKS in advance.
Last edited by webor on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:42 pm

If anyone with more experience can help, I would really appreciate it! THNKS in advance.
If you're not using their server for anything else at the moment of your update, you could add a dst-nat rule to nat the old IP to the new one.... then disable or remove that rule as soon as the update is completed....

It's a silly workaround, but it might work.

webor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:11 pm

If you're not using their server for anything else at the moment of your update, you could add a dst-nat rule to nat the old IP to the new one.... then disable or remove that rule as soon as the update is completed....

It's a silly workaround, but it might work.
Dear ZeroByte, THANK YOU for involving.
I have to be honest and say that I am not sure (I do not precisely understand) what exactly should I do and how this will be a workaround?. This is probably because I am not so experienced.

To describe my situation and needs: I have my ISP with DSL connection (PPPoE) that changes IP every 24h, so I need to have ddns to be able to use for example Pingdom service to test if the router is up and running smoothly. I also connect to my home network using Mikrotik as a VPN server when I am out of home.

Can you please provide some more detailed guidance? THANKS!

aacable

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:19 am

Here is the changeip DDNS script i am using. so far its working fine as of 8th-dec-2015.
(I am using it on few 5.20 x86 versions, and mostly at 6.33.x versions)
:local ddnsuser "DDNS_USER_ID@hotmail.com"
:local ddnspass "DDNS_PASS"
:local ddnshost "MYDDNSHOSTNAME.dns1.us"
:local ddnsinterface "pppoe-out1"
:global ddnslastip
:global ddnsip [ /ip address get [find interface=$ddnsinterface disabled=no] address ]
:if ([ :typeof $ddnslastip ] = nil ) do={ :global ddnslastip 0.0.0.0/0 }
:if ([ :typeof $ddnsip ] = nil ) do={
:log info ("DDNS: No ip address present on " . $ddnsinterface . ", please check.") } else={
:if ($ddnsip != $ddnslastip) do={
:log info "DDNS: Sending UPDATE!"
:log info [ /tool dns-update name=$ddnshost address=[:pick $ddnsip 0 [:find $ddnsip "/"] ] key-name=$ddnsuser key=$ddnspass ]
:global ddnslastip $ddnsip } else={
:log info "DDNS: No change" }
}
ddns.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

webor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:30 pm

Here is the changeip DDNS script i am using. so far its working fine as of 8th-dec-2015.
(I am using it on few 5.20 x86 versions, and mostly at 6.33.x versions)
:local ddnsuser "DDNS_USER_ID@hotmail.com"
:local ddnspass "DDNS_PASS"
:local ddnshost "MYDDNSHOSTNAME.dns1.us"
:local ddnsinterface "pppoe-out1"
:global ddnsip [ /ip address get [find interface=$ddnsinterface disabled=no] address ]
:log info ("DDNS: No ip address present on " . $ddnsinterface . ", please check.") } else={
:log info [ /tool dns-update name=$ddnshost address=[:pick $ddnsip 0 [:find $ddnsip "/"] ] key-name=$ddnsuser key=$ddnspass ]
}
ddns.PNG
Thank you very much for your help! But sadly that does not work for me.
The same error is displayed "DDNS: sendig update; connect error; script error: connect error"
SS:

This script also is trying to connect to 204.16.170.40 and this does not work any more for me for last 2 weeks.

Where are you situated? USA, EU...? I am in EU, Croatia. Maybe this is important factor!? Maybe last changes from the changeip.com side have influenced the network topology, traffic... I really can not figure it out. I am 100% sure that this is not an issus of the specific Mikrotik router / version because I have two different routers (both in the same country, different location) and both have problems for last 2 weeks, and both are different configurations as well as MT versions.

Can you please check to what IP your router is communicating? 204.16.170.40 or ...??
THANK YOU

aacable

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:45 am

Thank you very much for your help! But sadly that does not work for me.
The same error is displayed "DDNS: sendig update; connect error; script error: connect error"
SS:
This script also is trying to connect to 204.16.170.40 and this does not work any more for me for last 2 weeks.
Where are you situated? USA, EU...? I am in EU, Croatia. Maybe this is important factor!? Maybe last changes from the changeip.com side have influenced the network topology, traffic... I really can not figure it out. I am 100% sure that this is not an issus of the specific Mikrotik router / version because I have two different routers (both in the same country, different location) and both have problems for last 2 weeks, and both are different configurations as well as MT versions.

Can you please check to what IP your router is communicating? 204.16.170.40 or ...??
THANK YOU
My location is PK [Pakistan].
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    nic.changeip.com
Address:  170.178.190.165
Ok as your requested, I checked ddns at following Location right now and working OK.
(I provide network support to various operators so i have there rb access)

- PAKISTAN > checked around 5-6 different networks , Working OK, DDNS Sent update fine, i can access there router with ddns name.

- ITALY > Working OK, DDNS Sent update fine, i can access this router with ddns name.

- AFGHANISTAN > Working OK, DDNS Sent update fine, i can access this router with ddns name.

- Cote De Ivory > Working OK, DDNS Sent update fine, [UPDATED]

TIP:
On critical remote routers , I always use two ddns services , like changeip.com and dynu or noip ddns. this way if one ddns service fails to connect/update, second usually works as per my experience. I am using dynu as secondary ddns service on few routers from past few weeks and its working ok, & AFAIR somewhere, noip however requires you to confirm the account every 30 days.
https://aacable.wordpress.com/2015/12/0 ... ns-script/

webor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:55 pm

My location is PK [Pakistan].
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    nic.changeip.com
Address:  170.178.190.165
Ok as your requested, I checked ddns at following Location right now and working OK.
(I provide network support to various operators so i have there rb access)

- PAKISTAN > checked around 5-6 different networks , Working OK, DDNS Sent update fine, i can access there router with ddns name.
- ITALY > Working OK, DDNS Sent update fine, i can access this router with ddns name.
- AFGHANISTAN > Working OK, DDNS Sent update fine, i can access this router with ddns name.
- Cote De Ivory > Working OK, DDNS Sent update fine, [UPDATED]

TIP:
On critical remote routers , I always use two ddns services , like changeip.com and dynu or noip ddns. this way if one ddns service fails to connect/update, second usually works as per my experience. I am using dynu as secondary ddns service on few routers from past few weeks and its working ok, & AFAIR somewhere, noip however requires you to confirm the account every 30 days.
https://aacable.wordpress.com/2015/12/0 ... ns-script/
Dear aacable thank you very much for your effort and help. You are very kind. I really really appreciate the help, and to be honest it is so great to communicate about the issue with expert/experts around the world. Great and valuable INTERNET and this Forrum :-). Thank you once again.

I really can not figure it out what is heppening, is it possible that Croatia (Europe) is so specific?! I think not, but .... maybe??
I would really like to kindly ask for another help. Could you please check to what ip address are your routers communicating with? Is it 204.16.170.40 or 170.178.190.165 ?? I am not sure, but I think that 204.16.170.40 is somehow hard-coded into MT. Mine Non-authoritative answer for nic.changeip.com is also 170.178.190.165, same as you, but my router is trying to communicate with 204.16.170.40, and if I try to manually specify dns-server=170.178.190.165 then I need to also specify the "zone" parameter and if zone parameter is left blank than also error occurs and if zone parameter is specified like something than again not working.

webor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:52 am

I am apologizing to quote myself, but this situation looks like "twilight zone" to me.
I am kindly asking if somebody from MT support can just say is this true or false?
I am not sure, but I think that 204.16.170.40 is somehow hard-coded into MT?

Mine Non-authoritative answer for nic.changeip.com is also 170.178.190.165, same as you, but my router is trying to communicate with 204.16.170.40, and if I try to manually specify dns-server=170.178.190.165 then I need to also specify the "zone" parameter and if zone parameter is left blank than also error occurs and if zone parameter is specified like something than again not working.

ajgriesel
just joined

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Is there no working solution for this yet??

zbuzanic
just joined

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi, if the script is not updating your changeip and the log contains this errors:
"connect error"
"script error: connect error"

Then the problem is with DNS, or better to say your MikroTik router is unable tolookup for changeip.com address and throws an error. Since I blocked DNS in firewall so bots wont use it for ddos, I decided to make static DNS on mikrotik router, and so I added:
changeip.com -> 170.178.190.165
nic.changeip.com -> 170.178.190.165
changeip.net -> 170.178.190.165

Since I use *.changeip.net I added it too to be sure it will update. After adding DNS, script worked just fine.

ajgriesel
just joined

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:17 pm

Well done!! Works like a charm!

GlynnRyan
just joined

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, however I am trying to configure my RB3011 to update my ChangeIP address, instead of using the Homing Beacon application on my PC.
When running the script, I get an error stating "Authentication Failure". I have checked and double checked my username and password and can confirm that the credentials I am using for ddnsuser and ddnspass are correct.

[EDIT] I am using RouterOS v6.41.2

Am I doing something wrong here?
The current script I am trying to use is
:local ddnsuser "xxx@xxxxx.xxx"
:local ddnspass "xxxxxxx"
:local ddnshost "xxxxxxxx"
:local ddnsinterface "pppoe_out1"
}
Thanks in advance.

GlynnRyan
just joined

Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, however I am trying to configure my RB3011 to update my ChangeIP address, instead of using the Homing Beacon application on my PC.
When running the script, I get an error stating "Authentication Failure". I have checked and double checked my username and password and can confirm that the credentials I am using for ddnsuser and ddnspass are correct.

[EDIT] I am using RouterOS v6.41.2

Am I doing something wrong here?
The current script I am trying to use is
:local ddnsuser "xxx@xxxxx.xxx"
:local ddnspass "xxxxxxx"
:local ddnshost "xxxxxxxx"
:local ddnsinterface "pppoe_out1"
}
Thanks in advance.
Never mind, I fixed it : :lol: -) :D
Seems RouterOS didn't like the password I was using. After changing my ChangeIP password, the script is working as expected.

Maracucho
just joined

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:56 pm

para actualizar el dns change ip uso el siguiente script

# ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# EDIT YOUR DETAILS / CONFIGURATION HERE
:local ddnsuser "USER"
:local ddnspass "PASWORD"
:local ddnshost "LINKDNS"
:local ddnsinterface "NAME WAN"
# END OF USER DEFINED CONFIGURATION

:global ddnsuslastipwan1

:local ddnssystem ("mt-" . [/system package get [/system package find name=routeros] version] )
:local ddnsip [ /ip address get [find interface=$ddnsinterface disabled=no] address ]
:local ddnslastip $ddnsuslastipwan1

:if ([:len [/interface find name=$ddnsinterface]] = 0 ) do={ :log info "DDNS: No interface named $ddnsinterface, please check configuration." }

:if ([ :typeof $ddnslastip ] = "nothing" ) do={ :local ddnslastip 0.0.0.0/0 }

:if ([ :typeof $ddnsip ] = "nothing" ) do={

:log info ("DDNS: No ip address present on " . $ddnsinterface . ", please check.")

} else={

:log info "DDNS $ddnsinterface: Sending UPDATE!"

# ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~actualizacion vieja ERROR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# :log info [ :put [/tool dns-update name=$ddnshost address=[:pick $ddnsip 0 [:find $ddnsip "/"] ] key-name=$ddnsuser key=$ddnspass ] ]
# ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~actualizacion vieja ERROR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

# ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~actualizacion nueva~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:local ddnsurl ("http://nic.ChangeIP.com/nic/update\3Fip=" . $ddnsip . "&hostname=" . $ddnshost)
/tool fetch url=$ddnsurl user=$ddnsuser password=$ddnspass dst-path="disk1/us1.txt" output=none
# ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~actualizacion nueva~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:global ddnsuslastipwan1 $ddnsip

} else={
:log info "DDNS $ddnsinterface: No changes necessary."
}

}

# END OF SCRIPT