Community discussions

MikroTik App

jmatuska
Topic Author

New Windows Version of TheDude? Is this in the works?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Will there be a new version of TheDude Software to run entirely on the Windows Platform, or will it be only available for the RouterOS platform going forward?

If only for RouterOS, is there a way to import our current Windows Configuration for devices, links, etc. into the RouterOS Version?

Even the previous version worked great, looking forward to the new version, but would rather keep it on a Windows Server rather than move it to one of our RouterOS devices.

Jim

sbr
just joined

Re: New Windows Version of TheDude? Is this in the works?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Give us Windows server version back this sucks...

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:49 pm

I still keep my hope, Dude server for Windows is very popular request. I take it that MikroTik needed to start with something. If it makes it easier for them to skip Windows server for now, focus on other improvements and revive it later, it's fine by me.

I could probably live without it, nowadays there's possible to have virtualization almost everywhere, so instead of native Windows Dude, I can just run VM with RouterOS L1 licence (free of charge) on the same server and Dude in there. But in some places I still like the Windows version better.

jmatuska
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:55 pm

Can you migrate configuration from the Windows Version to the RouterOS version? We have hundreds of devices and links managed and I would hate to have to reconfigure all of these manually in the RouterOS version.

gabrielpike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:13 pm

Overview

The Dude server package supports database imports current releases as well as from older dude versions: v3 and v4.
Export

/dude export-db file=(file_name_path)

Import

To import database upload db file to ROS host and run import command. Note that importing large databases will take some time.

/dude import-db file=(file_name_path)

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Th ... ort_export

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:04 am

The question is unclear.

Dude already runs on Windows. The Dude client was and will stay Windows based.

Only the Dude server now runs on RouterOS.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Only the Dude server now runs on RouterOS.
And the question asked by many users is, will it stay this way? Is Dude server for Windows officially dead, or is it just a temporary thing and you'll release updated version later?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Yes, Dude server will not be made for Windows, but you can install RouterOS in VirtualBOX (via CHR image, for free) and run it the same way as before.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:29 pm

Now we will need to start a VM first and then a client to get a monitor tool temporary up. I would suggest to need at least 2 VMs, one of those with Windows NT 3.5, to make it more exciting.
May I say this is slightly uncomfortable, to use kind wording.
So keep your 4.0b3 setup packages handy people, because the dude is not alive, it is reborn, with a birth defect.

itcoop
just joined

Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:45 pm

Yes, Dude server will not be made for Windows, but you can install RouterOS in VirtualBOX (via CHR image, for free) and run it the same way as before.
Normis,

After actually installing the new version, I understand what you are saying here; however, this isn't very clear in the release notes. It reads like "You can't install on Windows".

As a longtime user of v4b3 I really saw the dude as a client-server application. I installed and used both the client and server on the same machine. I can only think of one place that I used the client separate from the sever - and that was a while ago. After looking at it again, there are actually two components of the Dude - regardless of the version:

` The Dude Server service
` The Interactive client

For those v4b3 Windows machine users, see your services and task manager to verify the client:server components of the Dude:

In the new version, the Windows "The Dude Server" *service* (red arrows above) is no longer an installable option. I understand that the server component must be installed on a ROS. BUT the client application is still Windows - just like it is with v4b3. My notification option to "execute locally" (a big deal for me) still resides on the windows client and not the server.

This clarified things for me. And as for me, I intend on testing the Dude (server component) on CHR until I see a compelling reason to change platforms.

I'm really excited about the Dude project being brought back - regardless of the platform the server component operates on!