What if we need enter password for ISP to work with it ?
There is no option to enter password, like on TP-Link GPON external device ?
Our supplier "Titan Wireless" does not have any Mikrotik GPON sfp adaptors yet. So I am unable to order one to test it out.
However, from what I would guess... I would suspect the GPON adaptor would not need a password. I suspect it would almost be transparent on the client side and would function very close to a normal SFP adaptor Ethernet interface. They might be some SFP diagnostic information to the client router/switch/Mikrotik-device. Most of the intelligent configurations would likely be made in the ISP upstream GPON head-end equipment. But even then, when I configure a new ONT to work on my GPON network, I have to configure the following:
- ONT (GPON) serial number
- Line Card
- ONT number in the GPON pool
- Connecting Ethernets on the client ONT device
- Bridging - or Residential Gateway
- ONT diagnostic distance and signal strength to/from client ONT
- ONT firmware and upgrades
- ONT configuration file
- ONT bandwidth control up/down limits
- Ability to remotely reset/reboot the ONT
- Ability to remotely connect and execute diagnostics on the remote ONT
- SIP (VoIP) ((( A problem with Mikrotik not supporting SIP devices )))
and the list goes on and on...
- ONT Power status (on battery ???) and how to function if power is out and running on battery?
Normally the upstream ISP has control and access to all of the above items (and much more).
After thinking quite about this, I might even consider it a potential GPON network security issue if 100 percent of the customer ONTs do not come from my ISP and managed by my ISP.
My point is that an end user trying to replace their GPON connected ONT with a Mikrotik using a Mikrotik GPON adaptor without their ISP working with them may be a go-nowhere process. The Mikrotik ONT GPON sfp adaptor is more of an upstream ISP tool and product which can be used with/for ONTs fully owned/managed by the ISP - not the client.
North Idaho Tom Jones