Community discussions

davidcx
just joined

Re: Mikrotik VDSL / DSL Modem?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:35 am

I contacted Proscend regarding the VPI/VCI settings for the 180-T and was told unequivocally that the device does not support ADSL. I found this very strange as the data sheet does have the ADSL2+ specifications, so I asked for clarification and was again told that they do not have any devices that support ADSL.

This was Proscend's "Marketing & Sales Director" so one would think he would be able to talk authoritatively about the capabilities of his products. My guess is that they have quietly withdrawn this feature. At any rate I'm not deploying CPE devices in a mode that isn't supported by the manufacturer so it looks like we're back to no options for ADSL.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:05 pm

I think some people got it working with ADSL but there are limitations with the VPI/VCI setting. There is a couple of fixed settings that you
can access via a tagged VLAN and it is impossible to use it when the VPI/VCI you require is not in that list. So maybe there was some
misunderstanding when you inquired about that.

mabnz
just joined

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:55 am

I've recently purchased this to use with ADSL, but I can't seem to get it working. The LED is green which seems to indicate SHOWTIME.

I've set up an interface on my CPE as VLAN 6 (matching VCI/VPI 0/100 which is what I need) and used a PPPoE client, but it doesn't receive any packets on the interface nor an IP address. Is it correct that I need to tag packets with a VLAN tag in order to get it working?

Has anyone used it with ADSL successfully, who could share their configuration?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 am

ADSL often uses ATM rather than PPPoE. But it depends on your particular provider.
You would need to ask your provider or ask around in a forum etc to find what exactly has to be done on your provider's network to setup the connection.
You need to tag your packets with VLAN 6 (i.e. you create a VLAN interface with tag 6 and parent sfp1) and then on that VLAN interface you need to
use the configuration required for your provider.

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:00 am

I've recently purchased this to use with ADSL, but I can't seem to get it working. The LED is green which seems to indicate SHOWTIME.

I've set up an interface on my CPE as VLAN 6 (matching VCI/VPI 0/100 which is what I need) and used a PPPoE client, but it doesn't receive any packets on the interface nor an IP address. Is it correct that I need to tag packets with a VLAN tag in order to get it working?

Has anyone used it with ADSL successfully, who could share their configuration?
We distribute the Metanoia V5311-T-R in New Zealand and are working on this with the manufacturers.

We have the V5311-T-R working now on NZ EUBA ADSL in a test environment currently. Once all tests are done we will contact customers directly with the necessary updates.

Regards,

Stuart Campbell
MTCNA, MTCWE, MTCRE, MTCTCE, MTCINE, Trainer

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 pm

We distribute the Metanoia V5311-T-R in New Zealand and are working on this with the manufacturers.

We have the V5311-T-R working now on NZ EUBA ADSL in a test environment currently. Once all tests are done we will contact customers directly with the necessary updates.
What method do you use to read back the connection parameters and values in the test environment?
Do you have any contact with MikroTik support about it? Is there any indication that they will add some feature to RouterOS to readout these values while the SFP is in the router?

stef84

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Hello everybody.

In my country they are installing FTTC fiber optic from TIM and I would like to foresee an eventual upgrade.
I am looking for a VDSL2 modem to connect to my Mikrotik devices in my network and I have seen the Proscend 180-T product that I could connect to my RB2011's SFP port.
do you know if it could be compatible with Fibra TIM (O Fastweb or OpenFiber)?
Someone in Italy has carried out these tests?

Thanks in advance
MikroTik MTCNA

Andre81

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello everybody.

In my country they are installing FTTC fiber optic from TIM and I would like to foresee an eventual upgrade.
I am looking for a VDSL2 modem to connect to my Mikrotik devices in my network and I have seen the Proscend 180-T product that I could connect to my RB2011's SFP port.

Thanks in advance
Hi Stef84,

we have installed the 180-T with TIM FTTC many times, and all succesfully.
The speed is lower than Technicolor modem (especially if you are far from the DSLAM, example 40Mb vs 50Mb but if you are near DSLAM the speed is similar to the Technicolor modem), but it works perfectly.

Bye bye

A.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:09 pm

But that is so slow. I have tried it as well and I too get only 40Mb but with a native VDSL2 modem I get 100Mb.
Unfortunately I still cannot look in the SFP to see what VDSL profile it has negotiated and what the actual and attainable bitrates are.
So with these modules (and with this level of MikroTIk support) we are at a dead end.
It is unfortunate, as this solution looked so promising. VDSL support for MikroTik routers without them having to design dedicated router/modems like others offer.
But apparently the interest in VDSL in the Baltic states is low (everyone has FTTH), and the high interest in some other countries is no incentive for MikroTIk to help those users...
They rather work on Kid Control, Detect Internet and IP cloud :( :(

stef84

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello everybody.

Thanks in advance
Hi Stef84,

we have installed the 180-T with TIM FTTC many times, and all succesfully.
The speed is lower than Technicolor modem (especially if you are far from the DSLAM, example 40Mb vs 50Mb but if you are near DSLAM the speed is similar to the Technicolor modem), but it works perfectly.

Bye bye

A.
Thanks for the reply. I thought this modem was better than the Technicolor and that it will reach higher speeds than the TIM modem.
If you tell me so, I do not think it is convenient to buy, rather better to use the original modem in bridge mode and run pppoe authentication with mikrotik.

Thanks again
MikroTik MTCNA

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I thought this modem was better than the Technicolor and that it will reach higher speeds than the TIM modem.
If you tell me so, I do not think it is convenient to buy, rather better to use the original modem in bridge mode and run pppoe authentication with mikrotik.
I think it very much depends on what vendor DSLAM you are connecting to.

OpenEIR here in Ireland are using the Huawei platform and we've had no issues with the SFPs sold by https://www.mikrotik-shop.de/ ... 100 Mbit/s with vectoring on a couple locations.

/M
Communication is the beginning of understanding
-- AT&T

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:03 am

What method do you use to read back the connection parameters and values in the test environment?
Do you have any contact with MikroTik support about it? Is there any indication that they will add some feature to RouterOS to readout these values while the SFP is in the router?
We built an L2 tunnel back to the factory and all the magic happened there so unfortunately we have no visibility.

There is an API available by subscription - it would be nice if MK directly integrated this but I suspect the cost is too high.
MTCNA, MTCWE, MTCRE, MTCTCE, MTCINE, Trainer

nefer
just joined

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Hello,
I just received one of the Proscend 180-T units from mikrotik-shop.de ...
the unit seems to be working fine, according to the leaflet the connection with the DSLAM works fine, solid orange and green leds, but in mikrotik i get an Rx Lose status and it doesn't work.
what could be the issue?

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm

What Mikrotik device are you using ?

Do you have it in a SFP or a 1G/10G port ?

What version of RouterOS does your device have ?

It won't working in 10G ports and for some of the devices you may have to set 1G full-duplex and disable autonegotiation.

/M
-- AT&T

nefer
just joined

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 pm

What Mikrotik device are you using ?

Do you have it in a SFP or a 1G/10G port ?

What version of RouterOS does your device have ?

It won't working in 10G ports and for some of the devices you may have to set 1G full-duplex and disable autonegotiation.

/M
Hi marlow,
I have a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+... I solved the problem, like you said I could not use the 10G port which is the one I was trying to use.... setting it to 1G manually didn't work as well... then I put the module on the combo SFP port and it started working perfectly, still disabling autonegotiation.
Initially it worked even with autonegotiation but then after a reboot i had to disable it.
So changing the port was the trick.
Works fine even if it does not support profile 35b which is the one my provider gives me, so it connects at a much lower speed.

By the way the routeros version i have is the latest 6.42.5

Thank you for your help.

By the way for the other italians on this thread I have a wind-infostrada connection which probably still is a tim line...

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Works fine even if it does not support profile 35b which is the one my provider gives me, so it connects at a much lower speed.

It works with 17a and 30a. I didn't expect it to work with 35b, but it would have been nice, if it did.

Good you got it working. And yes .. it definatly doesn't like the SFP+ ports.

/M
-- AT&T

nefer
just joined

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:32 pm

in about 24 hours of testing I found out that performace drops a lot for some reason.
Having no way to check the dsl speeds it connects at, I had to rely on speedtest.net and normal usage.
Yesterday night after finally making it work i had about 70-72 mbits speed down, while today it had just crawled to 0-6mbits.... i double tested this by reconnecting the telco cpe and speeds were back to normal so i'm not sure what was going on...
also in the logs of the mikrotik i spotted this: "fcs error on link" on the sfp interface... only 2 times but still doesn't sound good...

also this might be unrelated but on another interface i have in a bridge on the lan side i get this : bridge port received a packet with own address as source address, probably loop.
the mac address is the one of the bridge, but the interface it comes from has a different mac so not sure what's going on.
despite this it all seems to work fine...

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:44 pm

also in the logs of the mikrotik i spotted this: "fcs error on link" on the sfp interface... only 2 times but still doesn't sound good...

This is a Mikrotik issue. You can ignore that.

also this might be unrelated but on another interface i have in a bridge on the lan side i get this : bridge port received a packet with own address as source address, probably loop.

This is ALSO a Mikrotik issue, which you can ignore. I raised a ticket with them about that, which they weren't interested in solving.

I've been using 2 or 3 of those SFPs in a CCR1016s in parallel (2 locations) for months without speed degradation. My provider is using the Huawei platform. So I'm not sure, what's going on with yours.

/M
-- AT&T

breili
just joined

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:17 pm

I contacted Proscend regarding the VPI/VCI settings for the 180-T and was told unequivocally that the device does not support ADSL. I found this very strange as the data sheet does have the ADSL2+ specifications, so I asked for clarification and was again told that they do not have any devices that support ADSL.

This was Proscend's "Marketing & Sales Director" so one would think he would be able to talk authoritatively about the capabilities of his products. My guess is that they have quietly withdrawn this feature. At any rate I'm not deploying CPE devices in a mode that isn't supported by the manufacturer so it looks like we're back to no options for ADSL.
I don't know about Proscend, however when I got my Versatek bundle I was curious if it would work on a UK BT ADSL line. To my surprise it worked (note that the SFP isn't certified with BT requirements SIN346/SIN498 as far as I know).
The reason I was surprised is that the Metanoia spec sheet (downloadable pdf) has "30a without ADSL backward" in, which I read as either VDSL 30a or ADSL support but not both. (the Versatek provided spec sheet for the bundle states that both is supported while the CE version doesn't mention ADSL at all).

breili
just joined

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 pm

We built an L2 tunnel back to the factory and all the magic happened there so unfortunately we have no visibility.

There is an API available by subscription - it would be nice if MK directly integrated this but I suspect the cost is too high.
What kind of magic happens there? Just monitoring or does it configure the SFPs too (or even allow firmware updates)?

Do you have more details on the API? Any indication of cost, e.g. would be likely workable for an end user with a few of the SFPs?

TechnicalVault
just joined

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Hello,
I just received one of the Proscend 180-T units from mikrotik-shop.de ...
the unit seems to be working fine, according to the leaflet the connection with the DSLAM works fine, solid orange and green leds, but in mikrotik i get an Rx Lose status and it doesn't work.
what could be the issue?
I've had the same issue with an ALLNET ALl4781 and a RB3011. The ISP side diagnostics and LEDS tell me that I've synced successfully but the MikroTik unit has yet to pick up on this and it still stuck in "Rx Lose" status. I've logged a support ticket, and we'll see what happens. This seems to be the same issue as someone is having with the 1000BASE-LX/LH (GLC-LH-SM) (viewtopic.php?t=122917) so I'm guessing it's an issue on the MikroTik side.

jabuzzard
just joined

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm

What kind of magic happens there? Just monitoring or does it configure the SFPs too (or even allow firmware updates)?

Do you have more details on the API? Any indication of cost, e.g. would be likely workable for an end user with a few of the SFPs?
There is if you read the Metanoia patent (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20160241293.pdf) something that they call the Ethernet Boot and Management protocol that you can use to change settings and read the status by exchanging inband ethernet packets with the device. There is in theory a piece of Windows software that can be used to interface with the device, but from what I have seen on the internet it does not work (see https://forum.turris.cz/t/vdsl-sfp-bridge-modem/1296/21). In theory if one could get that working it would be trivial to use Wireshark to snoop on the device and write some replacement software to get stats, status of the device, change settings etc. on Linux which would could then be added to RouterOS, or even Ubiquiti/pfSense if that is your poison.

jabuzzard
just joined

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 am

I don't know about Proscend, however when I got my Versatek bundle I was curious if it would work on a UK BT ADSL line. To my surprise it worked (note that the SFP isn't certified with BT requirements SIN346/SIN498 as far as I know).
Note that while the U.K. remains in the E.U. BT SIN498 is illegal, as it is in direct contravention of article three paragraph 1 of EU regulation 2015/2120, which states :-

End-users shall have the right to access and distribute information and content, use and provide applications and services, and use terminal equipment of their choice, irrespective of the end-user’s or provider’s location or the location, origin or destination of the information, content, application or service, via their internet access service.

The opening notes for the regulation note that terminal equipment needs to comply with commission Directive 2008/63/EC. What directive 2008/63/EC is define a the conformance tests that a device must pass in order to connected to an telecommunications network in the E.U. It's not much of a single market if Mikrotik for example needed to get their VDSL SFP certified individually in all 28 countries of the E.U. which used to be the state of play.

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 pm

So are there any other suppliers for the Proscend 180-T apart from mikrotik-shop.de? I'm not even sure that's the same model on sale on that website due to generic pictures and datasheet.
I'm based in the UK if that helps. Hoping to install into a hAP ac with a fibre cabinet about 100m away, not vectoring or G.Fast enabled.

jabuzzard
just joined

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm

These are all the places that I am aware of through Google searches of actually selling the device in one guise or another in Europe.

https://www.mikrotik-shop.de/Interfaces ... :2192.html
https://shop.meconet.de/Hardware-Einzel ... 17361.html
https://www.nsys.gr/en/proscend-180-t-v ... telco.html
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07C4SGV63/

Personally I am thinking of going with the last one as this is the Allnet version which has by all accounts been through testing to get it working in Germany which presumably means it has been tested for compliance with Directive 2008/63/EC. Consequently I would be able to tell BT/Openreach to go shove it where the sun doesn't shine should they cause start making a fuss.

What I really want to know before I purchase it is can you get hold of the software that allegedly configures it, reads stats. One suspects that the person reporting it does not work was using a specific version of Windows (likely 10), and if you mess about somewhat trying different versions it will work. I can then run wireshark against it and write something that will work under Linux/Unix, and hence on a range of firewalls (MikroTik, Ubiquiti, pfSense etc.)

smartdev
just joined

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 pm

I have given one of these a go in the UK in an RB3011, however I don't seem to get sync. I just get the amber light and the light on the right flashing green.Tried turning off auto negotiation,rebooting ect. Any ideas? Anyone got these working in the UK?

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:24 am

I have given one of these a go in the UK in an RB3011, however I don't seem to get sync. I just get the amber light and the light on the right flashing green.Tried turning off auto negotiation,rebooting ect. Any ideas? Anyone got these working in the UK?
Which exact device model did you buy? Previous posts suggest that ALLNET devices only work with ALLNET DSLAMs for example. Which UK ISP are you with? Huawei or ECI DSLAM?
Other posters have mentioned no issues or many issues with RB3011, some say SFP is more reliable than SFP+, and it seems you already know about turning off auto-negotiation, etc.
Good luck and post back with results so others can gauge what works where.

smartdev
just joined

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:03 pm

I have a Versatek VX-160CE, however it shows up in the 3011 as a Proscend 180-T. The ISP is PlusNet. I don't know what DSLAM is in place, ill go and have a look at the cab as I think they are physically different?

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:29 pm

I have a Versatek VX-160CE, however it shows up in the 3011 as a Proscend 180-T. The ISP is PlusNet. I don't know what DSLAM is in place, ill go and have a look at the cab as I think they are physically different?
The cab doesn't necessarily come with the DSLAM. Could be anything in there.

Best way to identify what your provider uses is checking with a router, that gives you those details. The Fritz!Box for example reports back, what manufacturer and firmware version is running on the DSLAM. Broadcom in my case, which is what for example Huawei use. Most of the time, you need to know a tech in the telco to know, what they use.

/M
-- AT&T

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:02 pm

I have a Versatek VX-160CE, however it shows up in the 3011 as a Proscend 180-T.
That's interesting...

Marlow, you previously said you bought the device from mikrotik-shop.de - did that also show up as a Proscend 180-T or something else?
I'm trying to narrow down what might work when my nearby fibre cab goes live. Looks like my only ISP options will be BT or PlusNet.
It does look like meconet.de and mikrotik-shop.de might be the same company so I suspect it's the same device as smartdev but it would be helpful to confirm so I can place an order.

rushlife
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am

xDSL modem from Mikrotik would be great....

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 am

xDSL modem from Mikrotik would be great....
No, it would be a can of worms. Every country, every provider uses slightly different setups and wellknown DSL
modem manufacturers make different firmware versions for different situations. You see that happening here
in this thread, where a German distributor has had contact with the manufacturer and has a special version made.

However, what would be great: Support from MikroTik for the protocol used to display the connection information
of these VDSL SFP modules so you can see the training speed, operating mode, SNR etc. That would be very valuable
to the DSL users and MikroTik would not have to deal with the particular issues of DSL.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:47 pm

I have a Versatek VX-160CE, however it shows up in the 3011 as a Proscend 180-T.
That's interesting...

Marlow, you previously said you bought the device from mikrotik-shop.de - did that also show up as a Proscend 180-T or something else?
I'm trying to narrow down what might work when my nearby fibre cab goes live. Looks like my only ISP options will be BT or PlusNet.
It does look like meconet.de and mikrotik-shop.de might be the same company so I suspect it's the same device as smartdev but it would be helpful to confirm so I can place an order.
No. They have their own stickers on the SFPs, but they come up as Proscend 180-T in the SFP information in Mikrotik.

/M
-- AT&T

Kaldek

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:20 am

Any known issues with power consumption using these in a CRS125? The supplied power supply is 12v 2.4 amps I believe. I have a CRS125-24G-1S so there's no WiFi.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:07 am

Any known issues with power consumption using these in a CRS125? The supplied power supply is 12v 2.4 amps I believe. I have a CRS125-24G-1S so there's no WiFi.
The factory supplied power supply is 24V 0.8A. Either way, I don't think you'll see any issues.

I've ran those on CCR1016, HAP ac and 951s. Currently testing 2 of them in a CRS106-1C-5S. No issues to speak of.

/M

-- AT&T

Buster2

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:02 am

Hi folks,

very interesting thread :)

In Germany DTAG (Telekom) started to sell "super vectoring" (G.993.2 Annex Q, profile 35b, DTAG requirements on page 62). Are there any experiences out there with modems discussed in this thread? How future proof are these devices? Could there be something like a firmware update to support new profiles or do we need new hardware then?

Regards.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:05 am

In Germany DTAG (Telekom) started to sell "super vectoring" (G.993.2 Annex Q, profile 35b, DTAG requirements on page 62). Are there any experiences out there with modems discussed in this thread? How future proof are these devices? Could there be something like a firmware update to support new profiles or do we need new hardware then?

Not. The Allnet ones can handle 20b supervectoring, but not 25b. Tested with AVM Fritz!Box 7582 and 7590. Against the Master sfp of the Client/Master pair.

Haven't had the chance of testing them on a 25b supervectoring DSLAM yet.

/M
-- AT&T

mistry7
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 am

For 35b you have to wait for this one:

https://www.proscend.com/images/Downloa ... 51011s.pdf

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:30 am

For 35b you have to wait for this one:

https://www.proscend.com/images/Downloa ... 51011s.pdf
Interesting that the development goes on. Next would be a model that supports line bonding?
It is used here to get even higher speeds: 2 lines in parallel with ethernet-level load balancing to get 2x the speed.

However, I have abandoned the use of these things as there is apparently no support forthcoming from MikroTik to view the status and it is not acceptable to run connections "in the blind".
So external modems it will have to be...

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:41 pm

There is no point in developing these for line bonding.

First of all, they get hot enough as they are handling 1 phone line. You also have to consider power consumption of the sfp, which is high as it is.

Secondly, there are no problems running multiple in for example a CCR1016 and then either run MLPPP (If your provider allows you to establish multiple lines with the same credentials) or the way we use them is with bonded EoIP tunnels and baby jumbo frames, which works excellent for bonding, of you are in control of both ends.

/M

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

-- AT&T

ingdaka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:30 pm

In the future??? Is DSL the future, I thing PON and SFP is the future!
Ilir Daka
Electronic & Network Engineer
E-mail: ilirdaka@live.com
Mob: +355692982151
WhatsApp: +355692982151
CCNA | Fortinet NSE3 | MTCRE

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:03 pm

In the future??? Is DSL the future, I thing PON and SFP is the future!

There are lots of Telcos, that still build on their copper plant and are ignoring the migration to FTTH. Hey .. German Telekom is one of those, that still haven't got around to fiber thinking.

The biggest joke of that is large areas in eastern Germany, where the copper networks were so bad, that when they replaced it, they put fiber in. But they had not invested in technology to deliver broadband on fiber, so when DSL came around, those on fiber couldn't get broadband. Don't think they've fixed that yet :) ... 20 years later.

Here in Ireland we got (sort of) lucky, in that we have 3 large FTTH deployments and lots of smaller ones. And one of the larger ones now covers 180k+ rural homes with FTTH. But VDSL is still a big thing, especially in urban areas, and 25b supervectoring is being implemented before the end of the year here. So support for that would be good to have.

/M
-- AT&T

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Secondly, there are no problems running multiple in for example a CCR1016 and then either run MLPPP (If your provider allows you to establish multiple lines with the same credentials) or the way we use them is with bonded EoIP tunnels and baby jumbo frames, which works excellent for bonding, of you are in control of both ends.
Bonding is an option offered by the ISPs here (as part of their competition with cable and fiber which offer a lot higher rates) and it is not using MLPPP.
It is balancing at the ethernet level and a single PPPoE connection is running over the combined link.
For the subscriber it is a single connection with a single address but with double speed.
There are a couple of existing external DSL modem/routers that support bonding and the only visible difference is that they use all four wires of the RJ11 line connector.
I don't know if there are two single-line DSL chips or a different special dual-line DSL chip in them.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:36 pm

There are lots of Telcos, that still build on their copper plant and are ignoring the migration to FTTH. Hey .. German Telekom is one of those, that still haven't got around to fiber
The issue is not the equipment but the cables running to the homes. E.g. where I live there is fiber to streetcabinets that offer DSL to the homes, and I get 100/30 Mbps
over a single Vectored VDSL2 line. And I could have that extended by using 35b profile AND by using bonding, so the speed can be about quadrupled.

Wiring fiber to the individual homes, while being done all over the country, is expensive and not as easy as using the existing copper wiring infrastructure.
Usually it is only done with subsidy from the municipality or a housing council. The Telco/ISP by itself will not do it.
(of course you can get individual fiber but it has to be paid at cost of installation which is usually about 50 euro/meter of digging)

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Wiring fiber to the individual homes, while being done all over the country, is expensive and not as easy as using the existing copper wiring infrastructure.
Usually it is only done with subsidy from the municipality or a housing council. The Telco/ISP by itself will not do it.
(of course you can get individual fiber but it has to be paid at cost of installation which is usually about 50 euro/meter of digging)
Of course it's expensive to replace existing copper infrastructure with fiber. No question there. And thats why DSL isn't dead.

But i've seen scenarios where german telecom even has rolled new copper out instead of going fiber. And that's outright stupid.

/M
-- AT&T

msatter
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Copper perfectly suited to be used in closely build area's and over cable 1Gbit/s is already used and VDSL is also available in higher speeds.

Fiber is well suited to cover long distances of 20+ km and here in the Netherlands it is more and more used for people living outside the cities. The people run their self the bundeling of the interest people.

A bad thing is when there are enough people interested the big telecom firms try to torpedo the iniative by offering their solution the never will be implemented.
RB760iGS (hEX S) with the SFP being cooled.
Running:
RouterOS 6.44Beta17 / Winbox 3.18 / MikroTik APP 0.69
Cooling a SFP module: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132258&p=671105#p671105

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm

However, I have abandoned the use of these things as there is apparently no support forthcoming from MikroTik to view the status and it is not acceptable to run connections "in the blind".
So external modems it will have to be...
So do you have one you're willing to sell and ship to UK? Email me at dofrotest123@gmail.com as this board doesn't seem to support direct messaging?!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:21 pm

I am not going to ship mine as I am not certain it is 100% working. (the past 2 experiments failed to result in link while that worked before)
However, you can easily order it from FMS Internetservice GmbH in Germany.

arfoll
just joined

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:31 am

I bought a ALLNET ALL4781-VDSL2-SFP for my VDSL2 17a G.Vector (ITU G.993.5) line using 1&1 in germany. It's sold as a 100Mb/s VDSL2 line and syncs at around 109Mb/s on a fritzbox 7412.

The modem synced fine in my RB2011 green light went solid in less than a minute. After some confusion on the PPPOE details (eventually got them with packet captures via the fritz.box diag tools) I was able to get to it "Link established" by having the PPPOE client connect to VLAN7 on the SFP interface. That got me to "link established". Then messing with the MTU values to set it to 1492 got me to "Authenticated" in the PPPOE client and I could scan and find a service and mac.

However, I didn't manage to go further (which I assume is the 'connected' stage), the PPPOE client just goes in a loop and tries to reconnect after 1 minute. I'm a bit out of ideas but I feel like I'm really close so any help is welcome!