Community discussions

MikroTik App

dash
Topic Author

Mikrotik VDSL / DSL Modem?

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi guys,
I wanted to ask if there are plans to offer Mikrotik Hardware with integrated or even discrete VDSL/DSL Modem in the future? I am very confident there is a market for such a product, since there are many people that do need a full blown router but only need the Modem portion.

Currently it is impossible to get robust and simple devices that only provide Modem functionality.

Thanks

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik VDSL / DSL Modem?

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:46 am

It is unclear to me why people who need only a modem and no fullblown router would buy from MikroTik, who focus
on fullblown routers.
However, I do see some use of a MikroTik router like the RB2011 or RB3011 but with built-in VDSL modem.
How large such a market would be I cannot estimate... often internet providers include a limited functionality
modem/NAT-router with their subscription so lots of people would not want to spend money again even if they
get better routing.

The Draytek Vigor 130 is a separate VDSL modem. I use one with my RB2011 to connect to internet. It can
bridge the VDSL connection (straight or PPPoE) over to the MikroTik router where I terminate it with a PPPoE
interface.

Everything in one box would be nice, however there is a lot of expertise in VDSL modems and it may be that
a new company entering that market will have a somewhat long learning experience before the performance
is up to par with the current players.

bds1904
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:16 pm

An integrated VDSL modem in mikrotik products would be useless for 90% of providers. Most providers nowdays use a 802.1x certificate for authentication. The authentication certificate renders an aftermarket modem useless as it is provided on the modem by the ISP.

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:02 pm

In the UK FTTC delivered over VDSL is no longer supplied with a modem.

Its up to the user to provide their own.

So a MikroTIk with builtin adsl/vdsl modem, or even a simple 1port modem would be great.

Nick

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:09 pm

topic previously discussed many times on the forum.

i think integrated mikrotik dsl modem on some routers would have been great on 2008 year when dsl was on rise

2016 year
optical fiber is on rise, because that mikrotik has released the gpon sfp module.

i think its too late to invest R&D resources on dsl technologies

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:16 pm

A VDSL modem as an SFP module would be the nicest. However, it may be too small to fit it in there.
Maybe an SFP module and a short cable to a small external box with some of the components and the RJ-11 connector?

It would enable the use of VDSL with some different MikroTik products without yet another power supply.

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:45 pm

+1

I want to get rid of ISP bridged VDSL modem :?
Or just a small black box with RJ11 on one side and RJ45 on other side (PoE powered) :D

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:44 pm

I think the question of the market for DSL really depends on where you are in the world. In smaller countries, fiber is much easier to roll out and connect than it is in a larger country and the demand for DSL is low.

DSL in North America is still heavily utilized in the US, Canada and Mexico and probably will be for another 10 to 15 years because there is so much area to cover. Contrast that with a country like Latvia which is very well connected via fiber and has almost no DSL because the land area and cost is much smaller.

In fact, I had a conversation with several of the MT guys at the US MUM last year and the reason MikroTik heavily uses Ethernet in its products is due to the state of IP networking in Latvia around the time MikroTik started developing hardware in the early 2000s. Apparently after the fall of the Soviet Union, Latvia started investing in its telecommunications infrastructure and Ethernet was used to connect most of the country and DSL was not really used at all.

DSL is still heavily developed and they just reached 10 gig speeds on DSL last year:

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... gabit-dsl/

There is so much engineering that has to go into the modem side of xDSL technologies, i don't think MT sees a huge amount of value in entering a market that already has a very diverse field of competitors.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 pm

Using an external bridged modem never bothered us much, but what we (a phone company) wanted was an FXS interface or two for analog line delivery, but it's understandable why Mikrotik wouldn't support such a thing. Honestly, I'd rather they spend more time shoring up and advancing the features they already have than entering yet another hardware branch, especially one as radically different as DSL.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:48 am

Honestly, I'd rather they spend more time shoring up and advancing the features they already have than entering yet another hardware branch, especially one as radically different as DSL.
I agree, that is why I think it might be an idea to have DSL as an SFP module, just like is done with GPON.
However, those GPON modules are relabeled devices bought elsewhere, and I don't know if a VDSL module like that exists on the market.

Telephone: I am using a cheap (Grandstream) IP phone which connects directly on ethernet. No need for FXS port...

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:36 pm

judging from g.fast generations performance and alikes - i think copper still serve LOOONG time, atleast for last 150m-400m-1km "last mile" :=)
same bout DOCSIS 3.1 and other legacy things :=)
ana R&D and improvements and standardization - keep flowing, albeit slower

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:37 am

I was looking for the VDSL2 SFP solution so I could use MT as my condo and apartment solution.

This is the only thing I could find.

http://www.comnet.net/products/SFP/CL-SFP.pdf

dash
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:47 pm

I am about to use the Draytek Vigor 130 VDSL modem now. As suggested by pe1chl (thanks). As of today it runs very well, robust and stable...

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:09 pm

We use the VC-231 VDSL2 modems. They can be paired to form a bridge with one side set in CO node. Very nice when you don't need a 8 to 24 port DSLAM.

http://www.planet.com.tw/en/product/pro ... p?id=26560

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:26 pm

An ADSL/VDSL SFP is indeed possible.

Metanoia make a chipset and have a reference design specifically for this application.

http://www.metanoia-comm.com/product_d.php?id=21

This would be an easy way for Mikrotik to add DSL support to existing products such as the RB, CCR and CRS.

Email sales@mikrotik.com and let them know if such a product interests you.

dash
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Nice find dude! I would definitely order some of these SFP VDSL modules!

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:08 pm

They have 3 types of chip sets. Two of them can operate in CPE or CO mode. I don't think the SFP can do CO mode. Not a deal killer but would be nice if it would do CO mode. I could use a 24 port SFP cage switch and mix and match modules, VDSL2, Fiber and Ethernet. I would use the RB's with SFP ports for my customer side.

mavink

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:48 am

They have 3 types of chip sets. Two of them can operate in CPE or CO mode. I don't think the SFP can do CO mode. Not a deal killer but would be nice if it would do CO mode. I could use a 24 port SFP cage switch and mix and match modules, VDSL2, Fiber and Ethernet. I would use the RB's with SFP ports for my customer side.
That's an amazing find! Do you know of any suppliers that actually sell one of these SFP modules or have them planned?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:49 am

That's an amazing find! Do you know of any suppliers that actually sell one of these SFP modules or have them planned?
Metanoia only make the chipset. These are then used by the likes of Huawei, Planet and TP-Link in products that ship.

The best thing you can do is email Mikrotik sales at the above address and let them know this is a product you would buy.

Ideally Mikrotik will sell SFP using this chipset and add support to RouterOS for it. This is required to set the DSL options and monitor the line stats via the SFP modules I2C interface.

PeterFreeman
just joined

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi all,

As Nick suggested a discrete VDSL type module would be great now that BT have stopped supplying VDSL modems in the UK for their FTTC services. Lots of ISPs in the UK have been using MikroTik for MPLS network installations, I'm sure this business will stop rapidly if they can no longer supply a single unit to site.

Perhaps SFP module for VDSL/VDSL2 support?

Thanks

Pete.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:02 am

I think I will downgrade from DOCSIS to vectoring (not because I don't need the speed or price, and TV offer would be better, actually).

A GBIC would be nice. Vectoring ist definitely not on the way out, but the opposite.

OpenFiber

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:36 am

+1 for VDSL2 modem option

The SFP option looks very nice (combined with a RB2011 for example).

We currently use RB2011 with a Draytek 130

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:07 am

gFast2 was quite fast thing.
so i would call moving from DOCSIS "downgrade" if you ISP - support and provide gFast xDSL speeds.
unless very recent DOCSIS 3.1 employed in "fat" bonded modes, which is quite unusual even for docsis 2, generally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast
the only downside is - limited number of offered modems(DSLAM choices are ~ enough(for practical usage)).

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:20 am

It is a downgrade from 500/50 to 100/20.

Where it might be an upgrade is in actual bandwidth to other continents.

Or latency.

And support.

And TV, as I said.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:13 am

judging from g.fast generations performance and alikes - i think copper still serve LOOONG time, atleast for last 150m-400m-1km "last mile" :=)
anybody thinking this way about copper pair surely has not see the problems about isolation on outdoor cooper wires or/and induction ac or dc problems

i think docsis has a better future because is more resistant to interference

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 am

anybody thinking this way about copper pair surely has not see the problems about isolation on outdoor cooper wires or/and induction ac or dc problems

not over optical networks, especially conventional "active optical networks", reasonaly dominating market for number of advantages.
as for g.Fast and g.Fast 2 comparisons - i think at comparable speeds - amount of interference would be minimal unless you're talking about Very huge/dense cables and/or very high speed, yet unusual even for g.fast endpoints, sadly.
also ethernet had drawbacks over docsis only if you use unshielded cables, which is allowed only for OFFICE used Only(NOT for residental deployment. NOT for outdoor deployment. NOT for "last mile" cable/conversion).
and STP and Cat7 cables - quite EMI-resistant and emit - Much less. same about 6e derrivativers with improvements.
so far DOCSIS is extremely handy as "legacy conversion" thing where problematic technically to lay any more cables at cost of Very segmented networks and reduced # of consumer per aggregating modem/gate, its suffer anyway with HUGE issues both on L1 and L2 by basic nature of this technology, implied by both shared medium and control methods. however in DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 derrivatives - they shifted away from CSMA remnats compltely(TDMA and S-CDMA mix in upstream - considered relatimely low-latency with predictible response)to slightly reduce issues on L2 and frequency management in DOCSIS - improved in 3.0 aswell as BPi/SEC improvements, jointly developed with alikes in WiMax - contributed(along with other ethernet sig's memberss)to all 802.1x development/improvements and lead to 802.1x-2010 creation eventually(and all those "PortSec", "MacSec" things and other stuff aside that, ajaced around 802.1x-2010 which ough to reinfroce it Further).
if you had to "put DOSIS 3.0 to extremes" in terms of speed - amount of customers per aggregating modem - become quite small, up to 16 or even 8 per one and todays 64(todays even 512 isn't uncommon in some networks)become "not a option" anymore to achieve "advertised performance" and to go Further "modem per block" or even "modem per building storey" become a MUST. DOCSIS did not scale much and going up only by bonding and bonding imply pre-occupied/converged amounts of HW/spectrum/time "per customer" become bigger in modem-space/freq/time.

from angle/point you speaking i think technology like HomePlug would fit well. but modern implementations like ITU-T G.hn developed VERY slowly in favor of DOCSIS and alikes. which isn't good much :(
HomePNA 3.1 also support PHY's working over Coax, aside twisted pairs(random of. from phone lines, power lines and whatever else mix of 2-8-12 pairs(depend devices used for)).
so G.Fast-grade HomePNA -derrivative for Coax would be better, yep. if you insist on such medium for some reasons and dislike Ethernet derrrivatives like HomePlug/EoC.

troffasky

Tue May 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Which is all very well, but try explaining that to an ISP with millions of copper pairs deployed. ISPs are going to wring every last $/£/€ out of their pairs, and that means DSL for the foreseeable future, and that means that *I* need something small, cheap and simple to interface my ethernet-only Mikrotiks with the outside world.
Now that the incumbent operator in my country has stopped supplying VDSL modems with new installs [and doesn't seem to have reduced the costs accordingly] this search has become more acute. The Draytek 130 will do the job but it's twice the price of the routers I deploy which irks me somewhat.

Balmungmp5
Trainer
Trainer

Sun May 15, 2016 1:42 am

DSL is still everywhere here in the states. Also it's frequently the only network medium available in an area due to the virtual monopolies ISPs have. Adding DSL Modulation/Demodulation to RouterOS would be extremely helpful for our company.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 23, 2016 12:51 pm

DSL G.Fast stays in telecom "for long". not only in both americans and in Asia.
after G.Fast 2 there was proposed G.Fast 3 evolution and etc i think.
but trancievers/modems/Phy become(cause more complex modulation, error control and other improvements) more complicated/sophisticated/power-hugry so both amount of transistors and need to make them over 28nm or even 16nm, 14nm, 10nm wafer chips - make it slightly more expensive than usually DSL are(even for "mass-produced devices")because "below 28nm" CMOS semiconductors manufactoring capacity - quite limited, yet.

Toigoweb
just joined

Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:52 am

Inviato dal mio XT1562 utilizzando Tapatalk

hoboristi
just joined

Re:

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:14 pm

Do you have any experience with that sfp?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Re:

Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Do you have any experience with that sfp?
I think it does not actually exist.
It is a proof-of-concept model made by a chip designer hoping that a hardware manufacturer would be making
these and they would be selling the chips to them.
I asked them to name a manufacturer that makes these devices and I did not even get a reply.
Vapourware...

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Draytek have just made a Router/VDSL modem on a PCI-E card, but don't know about pricing yet but it can also bridge, if it's NIC driver is supported by routerOS then maybe X86 builds could be done using it if you did want an all in one box.

troffasky

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:27 am

If it's big enough to fit a PCIE card in, then the box is too big for me. MicroPCIE would work.

jonthorpe
just joined

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Looks like these are available:
https://www.versatek.com/product/vx-160 ... CPE+Module

Anyone know if they might work with a MikroTik device?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:18 pm

I noticed that too when I searched again for this information yesterday!
I am very tempted to order one, but it would probably easiest when someone in the US did that and experimented a bit.

What I could not find from the docs on that site (and on the original metanoia site) is how one can communicate with
the module once it is in an SFP slot. If this is done using IP over ethernet, it should be possible to configure a MikroTik
in such a way that this device would work and be usable (configurable, possible to monitor e.g. the connection rate, etc).
There is some mention of a configuration program (probably only for Windows), but not how it accesses the module.

Tomorrow I will go to the MUM in Amsterdam, and when there is opportunity I will talk to MikroTik people about this
subject. (if it would work, and if they would be interested in selling such a device under the MikroTik name similar to
what they do for other SFP devices including the GPON)

jonthorpe
just joined

Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Will be very interested to hear what they say.

It looks like the OEM for these is this company:
http://www.proscend.com/en-gb/

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:25 pm

I think I have convinced the two technical people at the info desk (active on this forum as well!), but
of course it remains to be seen if they in turn can convince their product manager...

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:59 pm

I love the idea that I can use a RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT for all my connection types. I have customers we connect to with Cat5 that we can plug right into the MT and if we run fiber we can slide in a SFP fiber module and now we can use the SFP VDSL2 module for customers that only have telephone wires ran to their units.

https://www.versatek.com/product/vx-160 ... CPE+Module

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:13 am

Are you in the US? Would you be willing to order one and just try it?

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Versa is waiting on stock. As soon as I can get one I will.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Versa is waiting on stock
Ok I hope this does not mean it is all vapourware...

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:44 pm

This was Versa's reply to my email.
"Hello James,
Currently, we have a pair for verification. We have not try with Mikrotik yet but sounds like a good idea. Should go into production real soon."

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:24 pm

My proxmox host running the CHR has a Draytek vigornic 132 in bridge mode for modem (It's essentially a vigor 130 on a PCI-E card)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:39 am

My proxmox host running the CHR has a Draytek vigornic 132 in bridge mode for modem (It's essentially a vigor 130 on a PCI-E card)
That is nice for using on a PC platform.
How does it appear in the host system? As an ethernet card? Which driver?

jonthorpe
just joined

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 am

Interesting reply from Proscend.
We have not tested the interoperability with Mikrotik/Ubiquiti Edge routers. The basic requirements/configurations of SFP interface on the Host Device include Serdes(Not SGMII), 1G Forced Mode(Not Auto-Negotiation Mode) and power requirements(3.3V, 700mA). We request our customers to send us host devices for interoperability tests in our lab.

We have only limited quantity of 180-C/180-R available at this moment for sample purpose. 180-T which can support G.Inp and G.Vector will become available in Feb, 2017. Neverthelesss,180-R can serve as an evaluation version of 180-T. You can try it out the interoperability with your host device as well as the VDSL2 IP DSLAMs. By Feb of 2017, 180-R and 180-T will be the same hardware but loaded with different firmware to serve different applications.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 am

FYI all of these are based on the same Metanoia chipset.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:19 pm

Interesting reply from Proscend.
That is interesting indeed!
It appears I have to wait at least until february because I require VDSL2 with vectoring.
Hopefully MikroTik will do some evaluation as well, it appears to be easiest that they get some test devices and
test them in their existing hardware lab and report on compatability.

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 pm

I really hope that this would be available in few days.
Currently that's the only issue that i didn't use mikrotik routers/switch in home area.
Because I need few more devices, switch, router, modem. And so it would be able to do all with one.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:07 pm

I really hope that this would be available in few days.
Forget about that! The device is predicted to be available from the factory next february, that schedule could slip.
Then it has to be evaluated by MikroTik, possibly software has to be adapted, and a distributor contract has to
be signed, devices made with MikroTik label, and shipped via distributors. IF it all works well and it is decided to move
forward with this.

You have to be patient. The only thing I can assure it that it has the attention of several people within MikroTik.

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:15 pm

I speak about the sfp what would be already available and not an vdsl modem included in the mikrotik hardware. Possible that this will be sooner available?

Or there any other way i can do this? I already searched for mini-pci cards but doesn't found one.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:26 pm

I speak about the sfp what would be already available
It is not available! it will be available in february next year. hopefully. and then it will have to be tested.
At the moment I am using a Draytek Vigor 130 VDSL modem, it works OK.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:23 pm

I'm watching this with great interest. I have VDSL connection into one of my places and am currently using a HG612 but it's bulky and messy and don't want 2 boxes where I could be using 1.

HiltonT
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:25 am

Now that the Abbott/Turnbull government has decimated the NBN here in 'Srayamate and turned it into last century's VDSL2+ (with Vectoring) network, having a MikroTik-compatible (and preferably MikroTik-provided) VDSL2+ GBIC module would be awesome for our Not Broadband Network deployments here. It will save us buying Draytek 130 units for every site, running them in Bridge Mode and then having a suitable MikroTik router behind them.

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:55 am

Now that the Abbott/Turnbull government has decimated the NBN here in 'Srayamate and turned it into last century's VDSL2+ (with Vectoring) network, having a MikroTik-compatible (and preferably MikroTik-provided) VDSL2+ GBIC module would be awesome for our Not Broadband Network deployments here. It will save us buying Draytek 130 units for every site, running them in Bridge Mode and then having a suitable MikroTik router behind them.
That's what I want them for as well. I used a few Draytek 120's for ADSL clients, until they started breaking and I replaced them with TP-Link TD-8817s. Makes me a bit nervous of using the 130. I've only used one so far, and it worked fine, but that's not a very scientific test.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:06 am

The DV130's are OK. The big let down is the PSU they come with, they seem to either fail or the router starts losing its config.

We just throw the PSU away now and use a Meanwell GSM40A which are solid.

Slash
just joined

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:59 am

Please note that VDSL is widely spread in countries like Germany. The idea with a SFP VDSL modem is very good as it is a modular solution.
I hope the Mikrotik team is considering this option.

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:48 pm

That is nice for using on a PC platform.
How does it appear in the host system? As an ethernet card? Which driver?
Sorry had only just seen this.

Shows up as RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller and uses the r8169 drivers in my Linux (Proxmox) machine.

kathampy
just joined

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 am

There is some mention of a configuration program (probably only for Windows), but not how it accesses the module.
I think the "EBM program" is the same as "Ethernet Boot and Management" mentioned further down in the spec sheet. I wonder if it's simply accessible via a default IP address where you can configure the VPI / VCI for the EoA bridge.

marrold

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:29 pm

+1 for an SFP based VDSL module

Kalpar
just joined

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:19 pm

I think the "EBM program" is the same as "Ethernet Boot and Management" mentioned further down in the spec sheet. I wonder if it's simply accessible via a default IP address where you can configure the VPI / VCI for the EoA bridge.
You can search for it in this patent doc...
http://www.google.com/patents/US20160241293

"Innovative chip boot procedure through SGMII Ethernet boot and management, implementations in accordance with the present disclosure can save the I2C needs from traditional SFP interface, and still efficiently provide the required manufacture information, vendor code and management information base."

"...by exchanging in-band Ethernet packets."

So its a special Ethernet based management protocol.

troffasky

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 pm

If so, this needs to be accessible remotely, ie through the usual RouterOS management tools.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:17 am

If so, this needs to be accessible remotely, ie through the usual RouterOS management tools.
That would be nice, but when it can be accessed using a (temporary) bridge between the SFP slot and an ethernet port,
and a Windows laptop connected to that, I would already be very happy.

expert
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:55 am

it will be available in february next year. hopefully. and then it will have to be tested.
It's February now, any news?

rwrocket
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:35 am

+1
I need this yesterday :(

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:06 am

Forum member jonthorpe has been in contact with the supplier, see message #46 in this thread.
Hopefully he will hear from them when it has actually become available, which was predicted to be this month.
Of course then it still has to be tested in a MikroTik to find if it actually works and is workable without RouterOS
changes. When those are required, we depend on MikroTik implementing them.

SystemErrorMessage

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:52 pm

i have something to add to this, VDSL SFP modules have popped up and mellanox which now has bought tilera which designs the chips used in the CCRs makes one as well. Rather than a seperate modem having SFP modules are preferable because in my experience modems arent as reliable. MT hardware will run for years without having or rebooting but rarely can modems as the quality and designs from different companies are different. VDSL SFP modules will remove some of the unreliability such as the PSU and other parts that would be redundant and useless.

Slash
just joined

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi, I contacted Mikrotik support with the question if they are considering such VDSL SFP modems and they stated that they successfully tested Metanoia MT-V5311 VDSL2 SFP module samples with an empty eeprom and that they are looking at the options. I guess everybody interested should write a mail to the sales department with the same request to show that there is a market for such devices.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:44 pm

Well, I think the fact that they acquired samples and tested them is an indication that they are well aware of this.
Let's not overwhelm them with unnecessary work.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:58 am

I would just like to say, it is CRITICAL that if you get a Metanoia module that the EEPROM is empty.

A lot of the Metanoia re-sellers will program these to look like a ZX module, and the Mikrotik will NOT let this work.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:55 am

A lot of the Metanoia re-sellers will program these to look like a ZX module, and the Mikrotik will NOT let this work.
Why is that? Is this something that MikroTik could handle in RouterOS?

dravnieks

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:04 pm

+1 for RB-951Ui-2HnD and RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC with built in VDSL port. Currently we use those routers in pair with SXT-Lite5-AC powered trough single power supply. We have wholesale access to largest VDSL network in country, but we have to supply our own VDSL modems. Single unit with full RouterOS functionality would be awesome. Having built in POTS for voip would make my day.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:50 pm

+1 for RB-951Ui-2HnD and RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC with built in VDSL port.
Did you follow this and other threads about VDSL? That will not happen. And I can understand it, it would require new expertise
and after making 2 such routers the people would ask "please a 3011 with VDSL", "please a CCR with VDSL" etc etc.
What we are concentrating on now is to get a VDSL SFP supported and hopefully sold by MikroTik.
So any router with SFP, like hEX PoE, hAP ac, RB2011, RB3011, CCR can get optional VDSL.

SystemErrorMessage

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:02 am

+1 for RB-951Ui-2HnD and RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC with built in VDSL port.
Did you follow this and other threads about VDSL? That will not happen. And I can understand it, it would require new expertise
and after making 2 such routers the people would ask "please a 3011 with VDSL", "please a CCR with VDSL" etc etc.
What we are concentrating on now is to get a VDSL SFP supported and hopefully sold by MikroTik.
So any router with SFP, like hEX PoE, hAP ac, RB2011, RB3011, CCR can get optional VDSL.
That is unlikely. With SFP you can use various things and vdsl 2 SFP modules are already available for use though not sure if mikrotik sells them. SFP and ethernet together make for a very good router as it gives you a lot of flexibility and allowing routerOS to directly handle the interface. The other point is that modems arent on the WAN side so you can secure things better.

Jaspur
just joined

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Any one know where i can buy these Metanoia MT-V5311 ?
I would be more than happy to test this.
I a MT can't handle it something else can :) I just need this to work on some kind of hardware with SFP.

breili
just joined

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Versatek have them in stock. https://www.versatek.com/product/vx-160 ... ems-co-rt/
I hear Allnet (allnet.de) are investigating them too and might have something in Q4 2017.

hennessy
just joined

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:08 am

Hi there , just a quick question about using Draytek 130 units in bridge mode for NBN connections using MT's : do you know if they work for NBN providers that use 802.1q VLAN ID 100 settings for their NBN FTTN services ?

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 am

I can confirm that the Draytek Vigor 130 connected to NBN using VLAN100, but it wasn't in bridge mode. I was just testing the connection before the customer moves office. I don't forsee any issues when I put it in bridge mode and introduce the RB3011, I'll just create a VLAN interface and attach the PPPoE interface to that.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 pm

You can also keep the ethernet interface untagged in the router and add the VLAN tag in the Draytek 130.

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Any news out there? Would be happy if this is working at the end of the next year :) I got an outstanding project there.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Any developments?
Does someone already have working devices?
Is there any news of possible support in MikroTik routers or even selling them under MikroTik label?

Milotop

Mon May 15, 2017 1:07 pm

I have received a sample order from Proscend (180-C, 180-R and 180-T). My goal is to get these working with traditional DSLAMs from KPN in the Netherlands. So far the only thing i can confirm is that the 180-R module is recognized by an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN. Will update this topic after more testing.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 15, 2017 4:48 pm

That is great!
Is this only for your personal interest or do you have some project or intend to resell them?

Milotop

Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 pm

I intend to resell them as a replacement for traditional ADSL(2+) and VDSL modems like Draytek. It'd be cheaper and more efficient to run the SFP connectors.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Ok I would be interested in getting one, also for some testing.
I have a VVDSL line to local streetcabinet, 100/30 Mbit/s, XS4ALL internet (PPPoE on VLAN6, IPv4 and IPv6).
I have a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN router and a Draytek 130.

Milotop

Wed May 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi everyone,

these are the xDSL ATM settings of the modems mentioned above:

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Those ATM settings are not for (V)VDSL(2), they are for ADSL(2)(+) only.
With VDSL, Ethernet encapsulation is used instead of ATM.
Hopefully that table would be only a default, as the settings here would have
to be VPI/VCI 8/48 and Encapsulation VC-MUX. However, I am not interested in ADSL
so it would be no problem if only ethernet can be used, but it has to allow VLAN tagging.

Milotop

Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Yes those are only for ATM DSL. Proscend says that the ATM settings cannot be changed. If your configuration is not listed, you can't use it. Only VDSL will work.

rendrag
just joined

Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Sooo, you've had them three days... Do they work for VDSL? :D I can't imagine having these things for more than an hour without having tried to get my VDSL up and running with them :D C'mon man, you're killing me with the suspense!

Milotop

Thu May 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Yes yes apologies for taking so long... I have to make an appointment with a customer who has VDSL because I don't have a new one to install, and our office runs on fiber exclusively... :roll:

I will update this when I can!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 pm

You can mail one to me... add @amsat.org after my username to get my mail address.

Toigoweb
just joined

Wed May 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Any news about that?

Inviato dal mio Moto G (5) Plus utilizzando Tapatalk

Slash
just joined

Mon May 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Just found this at Allnet, but can only be ordered by resellers:
https://shop.allnet.de/detail/index/sAr ... egory/1986

psannz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 30, 2017 10:29 am

Just found this at Allnet, but can only be ordered by resellers:
https://shop.allnet.de/detail/index/sAr ... egory/1986
Just the thing I was looking for myself. Need to connect 2x VDSL 50/10 connections to my CCR1016-12S-S1+

Finally heard back from a a distributor who sells those. Supposedly they'll be available within the next week for around 75€ excl. VAT

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2017 12:29 pm

We all can't wait to hear your test results!

Milotop

Wed May 31, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi all,

I can now confirm that the 180-R and 180-T modules work with Mikrotik to connect to VDSL. See the screenshots for interface settings and traffic indication. The only change i needed to make was to turn off Auto Negotiation on the SFP interface. The module does 1Gbit/s Full Duplex.
TeamViewer_2017-05-31_14-56-46.png
TeamViewer_2017-05-31_14-56-55.png
TeamViewer_2017-05-31_14-57-19.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Milotop

Wed May 31, 2017 4:26 pm

UPDATE:

I have reached 40mbit/s download and 9mbit/s upload speed on the 180-R and 180-T connectors, which is the maximum rate this customer should be getting. Unfortunately I can't test higher speeds at this moment.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Great!!

I presume you further created a VLAN interface on top of the SFP, and a PPPoE interface attached to that VLAN?
(or maybe DHCP client when that provider does not use PPPoE)

Is there any way to access the connection info from the router or from a machine behind the router?
(to see the line mode, actual/attainable connection rate, SNR, number of re-trains, etc)

Milotop

Wed May 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Great!!

I presume you further created a VLAN interface on top of the SFP, and a PPPoE interface attached to that VLAN?
(or maybe DHCP client when that provider does not use PPPoE)

Is there any way to access the connection info from the router or from a machine behind the router?
(to see the line mode, actual/attainable connection rate, SNR, number of re-trains, etc)
Yes, I had to create a VLAN on the SFP interface and authenticate with PPPoE before I got any traffic running. This is standard with most VDSL connections here.

I haven't yet learned about the actual connector, I don't know if it has an (accessible) interface or not.

blimpi
just joined

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Welcome, first post here, and thanks for all the useful information!

The modules seem to hit the European retail market. I pre-ordered one here: https://www.innet24.de/Netzwerk-aktive- ... 41114.html
I'll report back as soon as I verfied operation in my hAP AC.

Milotop

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:43 pm

UPDATE: 180-T supports Vectoring, 180-R does not.

mtedo
just joined

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:46 am

I've got one of these 180-T's also, however I'm testing against ADSL instead of VDSL - anyone else got this working? Can't seem to get it sync'ing - RB2011 picks up the sfp, and I've set auto-neg off and all, but the sfp can't seem to sync (it's entirely possible the dslam isn't supported, though I have no control over that unfortunately)

Milotop

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:50 am

Can you get a hold of the dslam specs? I posted the supported adsl modes on page 2.

mtedo
just joined

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:02 am

yeah going to have to try and find out from the provider I guess - yes I did see those specs, thanks. using vpi/vci 8/35, so created a vlan8 interface off the sfp but that hasn't worked either in getting sync. I've got an annex-M capable connection, so I'm wondering if that might be causing issues?

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:07 am

@milotop
Where did you get your sfp of type 180-T?
I also wanna order one and wanna try if it works with our specs.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI GRA-L09 mit Tapatalk

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:25 am

Any News out there?
Is the VDSL SFP now working with Mikrotik correctly?

Milotop

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:54 pm

n4p: I got mine at proscend.com. They work just fine with Mikrotik, see page 2 of this topic for screenshots etc.

breili
just joined

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 am

@mtedo btw. note "30a without ADSL backward" from the spec sheet. That might be your problem.

On an different note, has anyone got line stats out via some means ?

NiMiK
just joined

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:08 am

Versatek have them in stock. https://www.versatek.com/product/vx-160 ... ems-co-rt/
I hear Allnet (allnet.de) are investigating them too and might have something in Q4 2017.
I am actually employed by Versa Technology and we have received quite a bit of inquiries and sales for the VDSL2 SFP modules. I have tested the units with an RB2011 and CCR1009 but we have received reports that the RB3011 does not work with the modules at the moment. We are working with Proscend/Metanoia on this. So far, they have not found any issues with synchronization or throughput as long as the SFP interface is manually set.

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 am

Duxtel in Australia are also working on it. They'll have some available in the next few weeks for testing and use on internal networks. Still needs more compliance testing done before we can connect them to the National Broadband Network.
https://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info ... cts_id=489 <-LRE, CO/RT pair
https://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info ... cts_id=488 <-Telco CPE

Milotop

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:30 pm

I am actually employed by Versa Technology and we have received quite a bit of inquiries and sales for the VDSL2 SFP modules. I have tested the units with an RB2011 and CCR1009 but we have received reports that the RB3011 does not work with the modules at the moment. We are working with Proscend/Metanoia on this. So far, they have not found any issues with synchronization or throughput as long as the SFP interface is manually set.
I can counter the RB3011 comment because I have actually made it work with one of those (RB3011 + 180-T).

NiMiK
just joined

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:18 am

Milotop, can you share a screenshot of the SFP interface? We received one report of a "Rx Lose" status. Wondering if you experienced that as well.

Milotop

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:02 am

Milotop, can you share a screenshot of the SFP interface? We received one report of a "Rx Lose" status. Wondering if you experienced that as well.
I posted screenshots on page 2:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104109&start=50#p600823

glenno
just joined

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:57 am

Can you extract any VDSL stats via snmp? I'm thinking sync speed, line dB etc.

NiMiK
just joined

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:17 am

I posted screenshots on page 2:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104109&start=50#p600823
Thanks! Wasn't sure which router board you were using. I'll be doing more tests with these against Broadcom, Metanoia, Ikanos and Infineon based VDSL2 DSLAMs. Line stats will be posted shortly with various distances once I get back to the office if anyone is interested. We have also sent 2 units direct to Mikrotik today. Not sure if they will be testing these as well.

NiMiK
just joined

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:01 am

Here are some screenshots off one of our Metanoia based VDSL2 DSLAM linked to the SFP module at 1m, 304m, 609m, 914m and 1,219m. This was tested over physical CAT3 lines in our office. Apologies for the low resolution screenshots.
160RT_1M.pdf
160RT_304M.pdf
160RT_609M.pdf
160RT_914M.pdf
160RT_1219M.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 am

I am actually employed by Versa Technology and we have received quite a bit of inquiries and sales for the VDSL2 SFP modules.
Versatek has the product "VX-160CE VDSL2 SFP Modem (Remote Telco Grade)".
Is this originally a 180-R or 180-T? I need the 180-T that supports vectoring.

NiMiK
just joined

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 pm

I am actually employed by Versa Technology and we have received quite a bit of inquiries and sales for the VDSL2 SFP modules.
Versatek has the product "VX-160CE VDSL2 SFP Modem (Remote Telco Grade)".
Is this originally a 180-R or 180-T? I need the 180-T that supports vectoring.
pe1chl,

The Versa VX-160CE is the same build as the 180-T. We're expecting 200 units in mid September.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks. Today I checked the German (I think) store that also has them but they are out of stock as well.
Will have to be patient...

NiMiK
just joined

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Many resellers are also waiting patiently for these units including us. Our ETD to our office is 9/10. A majority from this shipment has been held for customer back orders.

WaauBau
just joined

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:06 pm

I can counter the RB3011 comment because I have actually made it work with one of those (RB3011 + 180-T).

Milotop how did you get that to work on RB3011 ?

I have tried these Procend 180-T on a RB3011, but there it shows RX Lose. i Have 2 of these and both show RX Lose on RB3011.
On the RB962UiGS the same modules work fine.

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:59 am

What are people paying for one of these SFP units? It would seem I need the T model to connect to an ADSL service and replace the provider leased modem correct?

glenno
just joined

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:55 am

What are people paying for one of these SFP units? It would seem I need the T model to connect to an ADSL service and replace the provider leased modem correct?
Prices I was quoted are:

180-T (Telco Version)
US$ 90/PC based on sample order.
US$ 50/PC based on 100~999 PCS (MOQ=100 PCS)
US$ 45/PC based on 1,000+ PCS

Plus freight from Taiwan.

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:02 am

Thanks, can you confirm the tell version is the unit I'd want?

Milotop

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Milotop how did you get that to work on RB3011 ?

I have tried these Procend 180-T on a RB3011, but there it shows RX Lose. i Have 2 of these and both show RX Lose on RB3011.
On the RB962UiGS the same modules work fine.
I didn't see the RX Lose that you saw. I simply plugged it in, booted the RB3011 and changed the SFP module's speed to 1Gbit/s full duplex. I didn't need to do anything else. You might have received a broken SFP module or RB3011.
Thanks, can you confirm the tell version is the unit I'd want?
For ADSL please see the picture I posted on page 2 specifying the supported ADSL modes.

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:42 am

any feedback from live/prod systems using these sfp modules?

AzAel76
just joined

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:52 am

Got the Procend 180-T last week, plugged it into a RB960PGS and everything looks fine, however i have not had the chance to do further testing or connect it to my dslam yet.

I will post some results later this week once i have done some testing.

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 am

Got the Procend 180-T ..[cut].. I will post some results..
Interesting, I'll wait for news.

Have anyone links of EU/shops where these modules are available? thanks..

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:32 pm

this set http://www.proscend.com/en-gb/product/vdsl2/180cr.html works fine
in HAPac, you have to set the SFP Interface to 1GBit Manuela but they work...

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Yeah, that would be very interesting. I am already in contact with Allnet but they mean that they can't ship before Q1/2018.

So i hope anybody got another reseller. US would also be fine.

Thanks!

Milotop

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:54 am

Yeah, that would be very interesting. I am already in contact with Allnet but they mean that they can't ship before Q1/2018.

So i hope anybody got another reseller. US would also be fine.

Thanks!

Proscend endorses Versatek for US distribution:

https://www.versatek.com/product/vx-160 ... lco-grade/

They just restocked apparently.

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:42 am

Proscend endorses Versatek for US distribution:
https://www.versatek.com/product/vx-160 ... lco-grade/
They just restocked apparently.
I must check if they ship to EU, thank you anyway..

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:28 am

I must check if they ship to EU, thank you anyway..
They are a distributor, and they list a couple of resellers.
Black Box is active worldwide, however despite them being listed as a reseller I cannot find this item in their catalog.
Maybe ring your local Black Box support number?

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:37 pm

patrick7

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:59 am

Will we see DSL modems soon?

[admin@sw2] /interface dsl> set 
Change properties of one or several items.

<numbers> -- List of item numbers
arp -- Address Resolution Protocol
arp-timeout -- 
comment -- Short description of the item
disabled -- Defines whether item is ignored or used
l2mtu -- 
mac-address -- 
mtu -- Maximum Transmit Unit
name -- Interface name
vci -- 
vpi -- 

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:26 am

Hopefully we will :D

Milotop

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:23 pm

[admin@sw2] /interface dsl> set 
Change properties of one or several items.

<numbers> -- List of item numbers
arp -- Address Resolution Protocol
arp-timeout -- 
comment -- Short description of the item
disabled -- Defines whether item is ignored or used
l2mtu -- 
mac-address -- 
mtu -- Maximum Transmit Unit
name -- Interface name
vci -- 
vpi -- 
Where did you find this?

patrick7

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 pm

/interface dsl on RB750GL / 6.41rc20

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Can't wait for it!!! Still waiting for my preorder from Allnet, but they can't ship before Q1/2018.

aholmes
just joined

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:58 am

/interface dsl on RB750GL / 6.41rc20
Doesn't show up on my RB960PGS on either 6.41rc20 or the latest 6.41rc :(

Soon, though, I hope!

mtedo
just joined

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:55 am

figured i'd throw my update into here, have tested the proscend 180-T here in australia (NBN FTTN 50mb/20mb service) and works fine (using hAP ac / RB962). would love to see the ability to pull line stats out of the SFP via routerOS in the future somehow, since we don't really know how fast it's actually syncing right now (though we did push 50Mbps through it no problems so obviously it's decent). protip for the future, the SFP does get very hot (much hotter than normal RJ45 SFP's) but that's most likely a side effect of basically fitting a modem into an SFP :P

VK2XXY

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 am

have tested the proscend 180-T here in australia (NBN FTTN 50mb/20mb service) and works fine (using hAP ac / RB962).
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-r ... ?t=2671952

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:28 am

They're in stock at Mikrotik-Shop now.

http://www.mikrotik-shop.de/Interfaces/ ... :1896.html

Ordered 2 to see, how they'll perform on VDSL in Ireland.

/M

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:06 pm

I am in de ordering process but I am stuck at the payment options...
Do you see an option to do a EURO bank transfer? They don't offer creditcard payment.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:17 pm

I am in de ordering process but I am stuck at the payment options...
Do you see an option to do a EURO bank transfer? They don't offer creditcard payment.
"Prepayment by Wire Transfer" is EURO bank transfer i reckon. It's a bank holiday in their region in Germany today, so they won't respond before tomorrow anyhow either way.

/M

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Ok, I got an automatic mail message when registering and replied to it, but thanks for the info, I will wait and see what options they offer.
(wire transfers tend to be quite expensive when they are not completely standard IBAN EURO transfers so I'd like to make sure)

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:52 am

Ok, I got an automatic mail message when registering and replied to it, but thanks for the info, I will wait and see what options they offer.
(wire transfers tend to be quite expensive when they are not completely standard IBAN EURO transfers so I'd like to make sure)
I did get a response today and it was just a normal EURO transfer (Germany operates in EUR). So shouldn't be an issue.

/M

djmanas
just joined

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Just a quick question about Proscend 180-T. Just had bought mine, tried to connect, but it is not working. The provider has said, that it should be working, but I should disable DHCP on the modem. Does anybody know how to configure the SFP module? The DHCP client is disabled in ROS.

Thanks,
Regards,
Petr Sourek

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 pm

I did get a response today and it was just a normal EURO transfer (Germany operates in EUR). So shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks. It looks like mine is on the way... hopefully arrives later this week.

djmanas
just joined

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Ok, the problem was in VLAN connection. Had to find out VLAN ID from ISP and add VLAN interface connected to SFP port and make PPPoE bound to VLAN interface. Now it works like a charm.

Thanks,
Regards,
Petr Sourek

Milotop

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Ok, the problem was in VLAN connection. Had to find out VLAN ID from ISP and add VLAN interface connected to SFP port and make PPPoE bound to VLAN interface. Now it works like a charm.

Thanks,
Regards,
Petr Sourek
Can you tell us what kind of speeds you're getting on it?

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Mine arrived today .. just need a VDSL line to test :) .. And the plan then is to get some sort of bonding sorted. Shouldn't be too hard, as I'm the provider. So Mikrotik both sides of the PPPoE tunnels.

/M

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 pm

I wonder if these SFP modules can be used in a switch and then a router instead of directly connected to a router.

Has anyone tried this scenario?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:44 pm

I wonder if these SFP modules can be used in a switch and then a router instead of directly connected to a router.
Of course, you can even use them to join two switches over a copper pair without a router, that is the purpose they were invented for.
(you need to use the proper models)

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 pm

The T-model probably not .. well, unless it's a Mikrotik switch running RouterOS .. then you can.

The two other models (which have to be ordered as a pair) absolutely. They'll allow you to transmit 100 Mbit/s over old phone wiring of up to 400m and cat5 up to 3km. Use a normal switch either side.

/M

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks, but I am not looking to connect 2 routers/switches using the telephone wiring.

I am looking to use this as a VDSL modem to replace my provider's modem and since my router does not have a free SFP port, my only alternative would be to connect the module to a switch (on which I do have free SFP ports) and then do PPPoE from the router.

But I am not sure how this would work exactly. Is simply putting the SFP port on the switch to a dedicated VLAN enough for the router to then do PPPoE over that VLAN?

How about that /interface dsl command mentioned previously? Would that still work if the SFP module is not directly connected to the router?
In other words, how would RouterOS will communicate with it over L2 ? Is there some standard that defines this?

djmanas
just joined

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Can you tell us what kind of speeds you're getting on it?
Since I have slow connection 8Mbit/1Mbit, the module is able to achieve them.

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:33 am

After long time waiting my sfp arrived Yesterday. And what should i say, it works as descripted with my VDSL Connection (40/10).

Hopefully in newer ROS can read Out the Connection state from the Module.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:16 pm

My 180-T arrived today and it appears to work, although maybe at a slightly lower rate than the Draytek. I have to wait a little, the connection rate often increases after some time.
(seamless rate adaption)

I get about 42 Mbit/s effective download while my Draytek trains at 100 Mbit/s and I get up to 80 Mbit/s from the provider.
Has anyone tried the 6.41RC version? Does the /interface dsl command already show any info about the connection?

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:29 am

I have currently RC6.41 on my RB2011, will take look as early as i am at home if there are any stats avaible. Through winbox i didn't find anything.

Edit: DSL Not available here until now.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 pm

My Draytek initially connects with these parameters:
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 44870000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 17465000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 45041488 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 17465000 bps
However, a few minutes after the connection has established the rate increases:
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          :103349000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 17465000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      :106387120 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 38060000 bps
(the US Actual rate does not increase in the displayed status but when measured it does, a bug in the Draytek firmware)

The SFP modem appears to get stuck at the initial rate and does not increase.
It looks like the "seamless rate adaption" does not work, or maybe it does not connect in mode 17A
(mode 7B instead) and so the max is much lower.
Unfortunately it is not (yet) possible to see what is going on due to the lack of status display in RouterOS.
Hopefully this will be added soon now that the modems have hit the market.

klaus007
just joined

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Hello!

I´m located in Austria and I also got a Procend 180T this Friday. It´s working fine in a hAP ac and achieves full provided speed (80/15Mbit). The pppoe-Client is operating over Vlan´s on my CCR1009.

Klaus

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 am

Tested the Proscend PS180-C-R VDSL2 SFP pair.

CRS317-1G-16S+ <-eth-> CSS106-1G-4P-1S <-vdsl2-> CRS317-1G-16S+

161mbit/sec UDP, 148mbit/sec TCP both directions between the CRS's over a 3m cat5 lead.

Later I'll find a long copper pair on campus to see what speed/distance can be obtained.
Last edited by bjohns on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 am

Anyone aware if software updates are available somewhere and how they would be applied? Mine came with 3.4 software.

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello!
I´m located in Austria and I also got a Procend 180T this Friday.
Klaus
Grüß Gott, Klaus!

Where did you order the part to be shipped to europe?

Best regards,
dksoft

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

They are available shipped from Germany, see above.

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:43 pm

They are available shipped from Germany, see above.
Thanks, due to current reconstructions the new link is: http://www.mikrotik-shop.de/Interfaces/ ... :2192.html
Currently (2017-11-14) out of stock. 10-14 days delivery.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Ok, you are too late! I received one...

spooky
just joined

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Hello I live in Greece and mikrotik-shop.de does not ship in Greece. Do you know any other e-shop ?

Thank you.

sup5

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Does it work with German T-Com VDSL?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 pm

No idea, I am not in Germany. Probably it will, but some more tweaking could be required, for me it does not work optimally.

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:15 am

I am waiting for delivery and post results in about 10-14 days from now.

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:41 pm

I have been testing a 180-T but it seems to resync every 10-12 hours.

It does sync at a high speed on my line, and latency is low when it is working, but drops twice a day.

Has anyone else seen this sort of instability ?

Nick

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:00 pm

It didn't do that here. The first night after I plugged it in it resynced at about 04:00 but my ISP does that automatically when it sees that a new modem has been plugged in on a line and the rates are suboptimal. That way the modem often re-trains at a higher rate and the problem is fixed.
However for this modem that did not work and it remained at too-low rate (about 42Mbps). On the next day, it did not resync anymore.
The latency was good, apparently Fast mode in both directions (when the modem thinks the line is marginal, it will switch to Interleaved and the latency is a couple of ms higher, but I got 6.5ms which is normal for my line).
Now my Draytek 130 is back on as it gives me twice the speed, I am hoping for some status display possibility in RouterOS so I can investigate what is really going on.

kalviz

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello all,

I have a UTP3 wire running down my home in the drywall and only 1 pair is available. How can I connect couple of Mikrotiks over that pair? I see somebody suggested a Mikrotik router with SFP cage and pair of VDSL modems in SFP form-factor. But they are damn expensive - around $200 or something. I'd better unpack my sledgehammer and destroy the drywall for that money :))))) Is there some cheaper alternative, preferrably Mikrotik-ready?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 pm

With 1 pair available those VDSL modems probably are the best (and only) option. With 2 pairs you should be able to setup a 10 Mbps ethernet link (100 will work with some luck).
But when you install new cable anyway, you can use fiber :-)

kalviz

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Agh nevermind :) 2 pairs are perfectly OK for 100 Mbps, most of my home is already wired using 2 pairs and it is working like a charm.
Technically, there are other options besides those SFP VDSLs - I have seen some Solwise Ethernet-to-phoneline bridges on eBay at 60 EUR each but it's still way too much. For 40 EUR I can set up a pair of TP-Link homeplug adapters which run Ethernet over 220V - but my sense of perfectionism will suffer from realizing the fact that I had once spent a lot of efforts installing this phoneline and, in the end, failed to put it into proper use :)
BTW, are there any cheap mini-PCI VDSL/homePNA interfaces?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:06 pm

When you have coaxial cable for TV you should have a look at MoCA. You can run ethernet over coax together with normal cable TV frequencies (the MoCA is above that).

troffasky

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 pm

BTW, are there any cheap mini-PCI VDSL
I haven't been able to find a mini-PCI(e) VDSL interface at any price, never mind cheap.

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:05 am

I haven't been able to find a mini-PCI(e) VDSL interface at any price, never mind cheap.
Draytek VigorNIC 132F (from memory)

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Draytek VigorNIC 132F (from memory)
Just realised my memory isn't quite right. The Draytek isn't mini-PCIe.

kalviz

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 am

Holy Jeez! 132's are still 100 EUR each and they need a PC router to run :)

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm

It is not cheap and it is not only just a VDSL connection.
In addition, in response to different network environments and different user needs, VigorNIC 132 series is not just a network card but also a router with DrayTek owned DrayOS software inside. The built-in DrayOS system allows users to set it to bridge mode or router mode based on different environment. It also provides an object firewall functions. With the high-speed PCI-e bus interface, VigorNIC 132 series can avoid congestion and packet delay. Besides, the PCI-e interface also offers power directly to save the power consideration and has the advantage of lightning or power surges protection. Moreover, the maximum power consumption of VigorNIC 132 series is only 6 watts.

n4p
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:59 pm

It does sync at a high speed on my line, and latency is low when it is working, but drops twice a day.

Nick
Hey Nick,
Can't confirm that. For me here in austria the modul works absolutly perfect! Current PPPoe-Session Uptime is 3d.
Especually your Profil isn't correctly supported? Or your connection-mode?

Here we got G993.2 and Profil 17a.

Kind regards

kalviz

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:09 pm

One more question - do I need to have a pair of 180-R + 180-C to run Ethernet over 2-wire? Or I can install 180-R in RB2011 which will then act as a sort of DSLAM and connect any cheap VDSL(ADSL?) modem to it?

pogo1975
just joined

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Nick
Hey Nick,
Can't confirm that. For me here in austria the modul works absolutly perfect! Current PPPoe-Session Uptime is 3d.
Especually your Profil isn't correctly supported? Or your connection-mode?

Here we got G993.2 and Profil 17a.

Kind regards
180-T works ok in Poland Orange over VDSL also

Wysłane z mojego YT-X703F przy użyciu Tapatalka

pmatous
just joined

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:42 am

Hi guys,

Has anyone of you actually gave it a shot on ADSL2+ line? Is it possible to switch SFP to use VPI 8 / VCI 48 or is the table mentioned few pages back mean these presets are hard-coded within HW? Can it differ based upon HW revision? Mine is VX-160CE / 180-T version V3.2 (dumped it elsewhere using i2cdump tool).

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Yes. You need to disable auto-neg, set 1Gb fixed and create an interface with VLAN ID 7.

The "/interface dsl" menu is gone in 6.40.5 and 6.41rc56 on a CCR1009.
Can someone confirm this?

Transfer rates are rather pour. On a 100/40 VDSL I get:

ZyXEL VMG1312-B30A: 13ms, 102/41 Mb/s
Vigor 130: 19ms, 90/31 Mb/s
Proscend 180-T (Telco): 12ms, 71/24 Mb/s

Transfer rates did not get better after 24 hours.

I rather stick with my ZyXEL. It's what Deutsche Telekom recommends. Also it's more stable than Vigor/Proscend, e.g. I can see drops in the transfer rate on the others. Even that the ZyXEL has only 100Mb/s Ethernet, it gives the best results.

sup5

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 am

I am willing to try it nonetheless.
My vdsl-line has plenty of SNR (> 18 dB each direction) according to my current modem.

Can you recommend a (german) retailer that has this SFP in stock?

jonofe
just joined

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:36 am

I can recommend https://www.mikrotik-shop.de/Interfaces ... :2192.html

I got mine 2 days ago and it works great on a O2 VDSL 50/10 MBit connection.
But it does not work with Dt. Telekom (T-COM) VDSL connections. That should change during 2018.

With my O2 VDSL I got 49.7 MBit down and 9.4 MBit uplink.

After inserting the module, it was directly recognized (sfp1).
I switched off autonegotiation on the sfp device.
I created VLAN7 (vlan7) and connected it to the sfp device(sfp1).
Then I created a PPPoE Client, connected it to Interface vlan7 and configured the dial-out setting with my O2 credentials.
Then finally I switched off my FB. :)

That's it ... Really great stuff!

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Can you recommend a (german) retailer that has this SFP in stock?
Hi, send me an DM if you want to buy my SFP.

Alestrix

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:00 pm

But it does not work with Dt. Telekom (T-COM) VDSL connections. That should change during 2018.
Why so? If that's when you get migrated to BNG, it should still work now on the old BRAS.

Sent from Honor 8 using Tapatalk

jollyjinx
just joined

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 pm

fyi: I’ve ordered and received a VersaTec vx160ce and put it my UniFi switch. It powered up fine and it is recognized by the switch somewhat. It does not sync on my German Telekom VDSL line (100/40) however.
The device powers up and blinks green slow and then a bit faster, which means it does not sync. I have had no problems with my Fritzbox which always syncs with 109/41 and a line capacity of 139/41. The line is flawless from a vectoring standpoint.
I’ve tried to replace the fritzbox first with a Draytek Modem,but that failed as the connection speed and esp. the pings on the Draytek 130 were poor.
So now I tried with the sfp module and that did not sync - well it was not more than a long shot that failed so I’m sending that back as well except someone here wants to buy it.

blimpi
just joined

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:30 am

Same here. Got the Modem for my hAP ac, but it does not sync on my VDSL-Line (100/40) from M-net Munich, which is using profile 30a without vectoring. The vendor (mikrotik-shop.de) told me in advance, though, that is does not work on lines from Deutsche Telekom.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 am

fyi: I’ve ordered and received a VersaTec vx160ce and put it my UniFi switch. It powered up fine and it is recognized by the switch somewhat. It does not sync on my German Telekom VDSL line (100/40) however.
The device powers up and blinks green slow and then a bit faster, which means it does not sync. I have had no problems with my Fritzbox which always syncs with 109/41 and a line capacity of 139/41. The line is flawless from a vectoring standpoint.
On my Dutch (KPN) line it takes quite long to sync compared to the normal modem and after that it has negotiated a lower rate. I get linesync like you (above-100/around-40) on my Draytek or on a Fritzbox but on the SFP it is only around 40 download (cannot see exactly what happens due to the lack of status display).
I’ve tried to replace the fritzbox first with a Draytek Modem,but that failed as the connection speed and esp. the pings on the Draytek 130 were poor.
Try to reflash the Draytek with different modem versions (modem1..modem7 I think it was), also versions that are not listed as recommended for your ISP.
I get best results with modem4 although the distributor recommends modem5. With modem4 the rate is higher and it uses FAST instead of INTERLEAVED so faster ping too.
So now I tried with the sfp module and that did not sync - well it was not more than a long shot that failed so I’m sending that back as well except someone here wants to buy it.
I still keep mine around hoping that MikroTik will add a command to display the status and maybe there will be new firmware for it... although I have no idea how that would have to be flashed.

lenart
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:01 pm

I've just received the Proscend 180-t from Duxtel in Australia. I've installed the module in my RB 2011 and switched over my config to the SFP port. So far so good, I've been able to measure speeds of 70/30 up/down which seems to indicate that vectoring is active. I'm on the Dutch KPN VDSL network and I have xs4all as my ISP. Television works and RFC4836 seems to work fine as well. It hasn't had any problem syncing and the connection seems stable (although it's only been an hour so far so fingers crossed.)

I hope that Mikrotik will implement some command line utility to manage this module so we can read stats, look at the synced speed, diagnose problems and potentially flash new firmware.

I've tried this scenario with the Proscend 180-t in a Netgear GS110T switch and I can confirm that it works. The module acts as a bridge between the VDSL and SFP interface of the switch. I was able to add a trunk setup to the SFP port on my switch and send the two VLAN's (TV and Internet) out untagged on two separate ports to my router. I got both Internet and TV working without any significant problems.
I do have to be honest and tell you I only tested this for a short while so I have no idea how reliable this setup is. In addition, I experienced a significantly higher latency although it was only one measurement so I could have been unlucky.
All in all, I would rather stick with a Mikrotik setup as I think the chances of Mikrotik offering some sort of monitoring tool for the Proscend 180-t is higher than say a Netgear or Cisco baking this functionality into their switches.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks for testing this :)

zerwes
just joined

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Hallo Mikrotik Fans,

sorry but i want to tell you the trougth. For the German Market and German ISP connections only ALLNET will be have the right Hardware who will working.

Background: WE ALLNET, worked together with Procend and Metanoia "Chipsetvendor" more than 1 year to develope a working solution on German VDSL connections, including the VCI/VPI + VDSL syncronizing etc. In the meantime we got different Samples from Taiwan and we walked up, step by step that this SFP-VDSL Solution will working stable and will be coming to a finalize RTM-Version.

The 180C/R foir Point-to-Point over 2 Wire = ALL4780 = https://shop.allnet.de/detail/index/sAr ... h/all4780
The 180T "GERMAN VERSION" will be called = ALL4781 = https://shop.allnet.de/detail/index/sAr ... h/all4781

The 1st massproduction shipment will be arrived in Q1_2018.

Alternatives for Bridge-Modem for German Connections
ADSL based on Lantiq = ALL0333CJ = https://shop.allnet.de/search?sSearch=all0333cj

ADSL & VDSL based on Broadcom including Vectoring = ALL-BM200VDSL2V https://shop.allnet.de/search?sSearch=all-bm200

VDSL2 based on Lantiq Vinax V3 including Vectoring "Best-Performance on VDSL2" = ALL-BM100VDSL2V = https://shop.allnet.de/search?sSearch=all-bm100

Thanks Gerhard Zerwes "Head of ALLNET Product-Brand"

sup5

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:17 am

Will you also offer a Standalone CO-Module without the CPE-Module?

Alestrix

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:34 am

Hallo Mikrotik Fans,

sorry but i want to tell you the trougth. For the German Market and German ISP connections only ALLNET will be have the right Hardware who will working.

ADSL based on Lantiq = ALL0333CJ = https://shop.allnet.de/search?sSearch=all0333cj

ADSL & VDSL based on Broadcom including Vectoring = ALL-BM200VDSL2V https://shop.allnet.de/search?sSearch=all-bm200

VDSL2 based on Lantiq Vinax V3 including Vectoring "Best-Performance on VDSL2" = ALL-BM100VDSL2V = https://shop.allnet.de/search?sSearch=all-bm100

Thanks for the info!
Regarding the ALL-BM100VDSL2V, do you have a firmware update that irons out the problems described at
https://geizhals.de/allnet-all-bm100vds ... _ratings=1 (German)

Sorry for OT.

Cheers
Alex

jaytagdamian
just joined

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 pm

It would be great if the VPI/VCI settings were a little more flexible.

Is the image on page 2 the full list? Is VC-MUX supported?

In the UK, ADSL is typically 0,38 VC-MUX so not having this setting completely rules out use on most UK ADSL2+ lines.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:03 pm

It would be great if the VPI/VCI settings were a little more flexible.
They aren't. And if they were, this functionality would probably not (yet) be accessible from RouterOS.
For this topic you will need to contact the manufacturer (maybe via a supplier), preferably in the role of an ISP planning a rollout.

jaytagdamian
just joined

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:11 pm

They aren't. And if they were, this functionality would probably not (yet) be accessible from RouterOS.
OK good to know, I understand the VLAN configuration to access the different settings - I think it's maybe too much of a niche product for us to pursue.

The VDSL feature alone is worthwhile though, and I'll certainly be picking one up to test on UK VDSL/FTTC lines.

troffasky

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:45 am

In case there's any lingering doubt about the economic viability of selling a DSL interface, look at how much red there is in the bar chart:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... vs-uk.html

Two thirds of internet connections in the EU are supplied over DSL.

loic69
just joined

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 am

Hi all
We are interesting to test for french market.
We are network provider with adsl and vdsl.
Do you know if VDSL Vlan 835 is managed.
So is there different manufacturer or all module described in this thread is from metanoia ?

How the couple adsl vp vc or vlan in vdsl is done ?
Is allnet or mikrotik shop.de is the same ?
Best regards

lenart
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am

I haven't been able to find any information about a management option from the DSL side of the device. Given its form-factor, I think it's very unlikely that this device offers such an option though. Since the device acts as a bridge between xDSL and SFP, any internet provider could certainly setup a management VLAN on the CPE but without special drivers, you would not be able to manage the internals of the module directly. An alternative would be TR069.
VPI/VCI is hardcoded into the module so you would have to contact the manufacturer to ensure that the modules you receive have the right values. VLAN is done after the packets exit the module so the standard VLAN config of the host device can be used. For instance, my VLAN config is done through the Mikrotik interface. No special software or drivers were required.

loic69
just joined

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Ok Yes for VDSL we can configure Mikrotik for use VLAN.
For ADSL we need to chhose couple VPI/VCI which need, if we can configure it, to provide hard coded inside.

Do ypou know if all reseller sell modules form same manufacturer ?
Can I have to ask them ?
I haven't been able to find any information about a management option from the DSL side of the device. Given its form-factor, I think it's very unlikely that this device offers such an option though. Since the device acts as a bridge between xDSL and SFP, any internet provider could certainly setup a management VLAN on the CPE but without special drivers, you would not be able to manage the internals of the module directly. An alternative would be TR069.
VPI/VCI is hardcoded into the module so you would have to contact the manufacturer to ensure that the modules you receive have the right values. VLAN is done after the packets exit the module so the standard VLAN config of the host device can be used. For instance, my VLAN config is done through the Mikrotik interface. No special software or drivers were required.

lenart
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Ok Yes for VDSL we can configure Mikrotik for use VLAN.
For ADSL we need to chhose couple VPI/VCI which need, if we can configure it, to provide hard coded inside.

Do ypou know if all reseller sell modules form same manufacturer ?
Can I have to ask them ?
I'm afraid I don't know if all resellers sell the same product. I do believe it is very likely that they are all manufactured in the same factory.

ALLNET in Germany is in contact with a manufacturer and they are selling units specifically for the German market. Duxtel in Australia is also in contact with their supplier (Proscend) and I assume they're collaborating to get units specifically for the Australian market. You can definitely contact them, details can be found on their website (www.proscend.com.) I'm sure they will be open to collaboration for a market like France.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Usually in VDSL modems there are different firmware versions optimized for a certain country.
This could be done for these modules as well, but of course the manufacturer should provide the firmware images and MikroTik should provide the support to upload them to the modem.
I am still hoping that MikroTik will build some support for these modules into RouterOS, so it is possible to monitor the modem status (actual speed, attainable speed, noise margin, error rate etc) and perform parameter setting and firmware upload.

loic69
just joined

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 pm

May be the parts can be reconfigured with USB SFP reader.
We're have these functions with our Fiber SFP optics manufacturer

Regards

zerwes
just joined

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Hallo Mikrotik Fans,

Thanks for the info!
Regarding the ALL-BM100VDSL2V, do you have a firmware update that irons out the problems described at
https://geizhals.de/allnet-all-bm100vds ... _ratings=1 (German)

Sorry for OT.

Cheers
Alex

Hallo Alex,

yes this member who wrote is is a typical troll. Yes of course it give a new Firmware called C410A please contact our support suppoert@allnet.de and you will get it.

PS: Our FAQ List´s for this device is http://service.allnet.de/index.php?/Bas ... =all-bm100

Thanks Gerhard

zerwes
just joined

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Hallo Sub5,

the the ALL4780 is a specific Bundle with Co and CPE inside the Box. Only Point-to-Point. Special Firmware who supporting max. 150MBPS. Only this CPE is working with the Slave CPE.

THe ALL4781 is Standard VDSL for German Market with Profile 17 etc.

Thanks Gerhard

zerwes
just joined

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi all
We are interesting to test for french market.
We are network provider with adsl and vdsl.
So is there different manufacturer or all module described in this thread is from metanoia ?

Is allnet or mikrotik shop.de is the same ?
Best regards
Hallo Loice,

sorry we are competitors in some Market-Fields. Both doing Network Distribution. ALLNET has additional more than 20 Years also their own Brand. Some of the Products are own Develeped in Germany an Taiwan. Some of them are OEM from Taiwan and Asian Company´s Manufacturer. We have more than 20 Years Office in Taipei and Shinshu "Silicon Valley of Taiwan". This is why we are cooperate with Procend in Business and Technical Cooperation.

Thanks Gerhard

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Finally got an opportunity to test these on OpenEIR in Ireland ...

works perfectly. CC1016, VDSL SFP telco profile, Vlan10 ... sync at 100M_20M_R ... bandwidth test: 98.5 Mbit/s down, 20.5 Mbit/s up.

/M

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:18 am

Hallo Sub5,

the the ALL4780 is a specific Bundle with Co and CPE inside the Box. Only Point-to-Point. Special Firmware who supporting max. 150MBPS. Only this CPE is working with the Slave CPE.

Thanks Gerhard
This is not right, the CO Module works fine as DSLAM for Avm Firtzbox, Telekom Speedport, Zyxel VDSL Modem, INtec Argus DSL-Tester.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:19 am

May be the parts can be reconfigured with USB SFP reader.
We're have these functions with our Fiber SFP optics manufacturer

Regards
I´ve tried this, but the needed Addresses are locked

sup5

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Hallo Sub5,

Thanks Gerhard
This is not right, the CO Module works fine as DSLAM for Avm Firtzbox, Telekom Speedport, Zyxel VDSL Modem, INtec Argus DSL-Tester.
That's exactly the scenario I want to use it for. So please: really offer a CO-only option, Gerhard!
When buying the CPE/CO-Bundle I need to toss the CPE-Modules into the trashbin, because they aren't used at all.

breili
just joined

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:44 pm

I got mine from Versa Technology last year. I used an VX-160RT with an RB3011 to connect to an VDSL line (Austria, Annex A, 17a) just fine. Just in case the feedback helps still (yes, I know the post is a bit old).

On an different note, I got some software (DSLMonitor) which should be able to read line stats but it doesn't work and I seem not to have an awful lot of luck with support from Versa Technology. In case you can help that would be fantastic as I'm still looking for an way to get line stats out of the SFP.
As far as I understand to get stats I'd need to send an ethernet frame with an command/query to the SFP (with the SFP MAC as destination) and would get an response with the requested data back. Would be nice to get this working even if not directly on RouterOS but from an host connected to an routerboard (bridged with the SFP).

breili
just joined

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:25 pm

The 180C/R foir Point-to-Point over 2 Wire = ALL4780 = https://shop.allnet.de/detail/index/sAr ... h/all4780
The 180T "GERMAN VERSION" will be called = ALL4781 = https://shop.allnet.de/detail/index/sAr ... h/all4781
Hi Gerhard,

are you going to provide either specs (so one can write the tools himself) or software to get line stats out of the SFP ?

Thank you,
Andre

rendrag
just joined

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 am

As far as I understand to get stats I'd need to send an ethernet frame with an command/query to the SFP (with the SFP MAC as destination) and would get an response with the requested data back. Would be nice to get this working even if not directly on RouterOS but from an host connected to an routerboard (bridged with the SFP).
I don't suppose you've gotten anywhere with this? Or have any more info on it? Would be really nice to pull some info out of the SFP..

Is anyone using these on a production service? I'm seeing a weird issue (plugged into a CRS-109, on a VDSL2 connection), where it just stops passing data between the VDSL connection (which still has sync according to the status LED on the SFP), and the SFP interface. Power cycling the switch does not fix it (infact, I've not had much luck using the SFP at all if it is plugged in when the switch is powered on). - The SFP must be unplugged and re-plugged while the switch is powered, then it works fine. I'm getting about a week out of it, and then it needs to be removed and re-inserted.

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Why hasn't MT started making it's own VDSL2 SFP Module? I know the g.fast modules are hitting the market so that should only help the case for single pair copper connections.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Why hasn't MT started making it's own VDSL2 SFP Module?
It is the topic of this thread. They should support those SFP modules in RouterOS or could even relabel them under the MikroTik brand.
Apparently DSL is not very popular in their home country. But in many other regions, it (still) is.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Is anyone using these on a production service? I'm seeing a weird issue (plugged into a CRS-109, on a VDSL2 connection), where it just stops passing data between the VDSL connection (which still has sync according to the status LED on the SFP), and the SFP interface. Power cycling the switch does not fix it (infact, I've not had much luck using the SFP at all if it is plugged in when the switch is powered on). - The SFP must be unplugged and re-plugged while the switch is powered, then it works fine. I'm getting about a week out of it, and then it needs to be removed and re-inserted.

Try and set the speed to manual, 1 Gbit/s, full-duplex. In some Mikrotik devices, it won't even get link unless you do that. The hAP ac for example.

And yes, I've got a handful of these in production.

/M

mazza
just joined

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am

Hello!

I´m located in Austria and I have also tested a Proscend 180-T. I have tested the SFP - VDSL - Modem in the combo port of a new CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ and in the SFP port of an RB2011UiAS-RM. Both Routers seem to recognize the SFP Module correctly (I have configured the interfaces in Router OS manual: Auto Negotiation: Off, No Flow Control, Speed: 1Gbps Full Duplex).

But I'm not able to establish a connection. I think the problem is that the VDSL2 line does not get synchronized. The left / orange LED of the Modem ist constant orange. The right / green LEED of the Modem is blinking sometimes faster sometimes slower. The short manual that comes with Proscend 180-T say that the green LED is blinking during the DSL training and should stay green when the device is linked up. But mine never stays green.

The modem provided by my ISP is a technicolor TG588v with firmware version 10.5.8.E. It shows as DSL-Type: ITU-T G.993.2 Annex B (VDSL2), with a bandwidth of: 10.456 / 41.800 kbps.

According to the specifications of the Proscend 180-T (http://www.proscend.com/en-gb/product/v ... l#download, http://www.proscend.com/images/Download ... 51011s.pdf) all of this standards should be supported by the SFP Modem.

Furthermore klause007 successfully tested the Proscend 180-T in Austria.
Hello!

I´m located in Austria and I also got a Procend 180T this Friday. It´s working fine in a hAP ac and achieves full provided speed (80/15Mbit). The pppoe-Client is operating over Vlan´s on my CCR1009.

Klaus
Because of all of that I was thinking that the Proscend 180-T would work on my VDSL2 line. But it does not.

I would be grateful for each suggestion.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:43 pm

It is correct that it is still training (or maybe has given up with error) when the led is blinking.
Unfortunately there is no support yet in RouterOS to peek in the SFP what is happening. That would be very useful to have.
In the meantime, you could check the post #218 above viewtopic.php?p=639293#p639293 about a Windows program that apparently is available to do this. I have not located it yet.
It would be required to setup a bridge with the SFP and some unused ethernet port in it, and connect the PC with that application there.
The bridge would transfer the special packets from the Windows PC to the SFP.

mazza
just joined

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:58 pm

@pe1chl Thank you for your response!

You are right, it would be very helpful if RouterOS could read the line states from these SFP-VDSL-Modems.

I'm very interested in the DSL Monitor Windows software you mentioned. Also the exact specification of the Protocol that is used by this Software could be very helpful. Because if it is not to complicated it should be possible to write a simple UNIX command-line tool that is able to read the DLS line states from the Proscend 180-T. If the protocol really just uses ethernet frames we could bridge the SFP interface from the router to a network interface of a Linux-Server and would then be able to monitor the DSL line states.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Yes I would be interested as well, but I don't have it. It was brelli memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=43604 who made that remark above.

tdussa

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:23 pm

I don't suppose you've gotten anywhere with this? Or have any more info on it? Would be really nice to pull some info out of the SFP..

I'm guessing I see a related issue here. I have a Proscend 180-T plugged into a hEX PoE, and the link works in principle. However, a simple reboot of the hEX will cause the link to stop working with the same symptoms you describe. Also, unplugging and replugging the SFP returns the link into a working state.

Any updates on this?

THX & Cheers,
Toby.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm guessing I see a related issue here. I have a Proscend 180-T plugged into a hEX PoE, and the link works in principle. However, a simple reboot of the hEX will cause the link to stop working with the same symptoms you describe. Also, unplugging and replugging the SFP returns the link into a working state.

Any updates on this?

Have you tried, what I suggested above ?

Disable auto-negotiation and set the speed to 1 Gbit/s + FD manually. Then try rebooting etc.

/M

tdussa

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Any updates on this?
Have you tried, what I suggested above ?
Disable auto-negotiation and set the speed to 1 Gbit/s + FD manually. Then try rebooting etc.
Yep, I tried that. In fact, the DSL link won't even come up properly if auto-neg is not turned off.
So, unfortunately, no cigar.

Also, I just found out that simply disabling and re-enabling the SFP interface will also trigger this condition. I am guessing some initialization problem?

Cheers,
Toby.

rendrag
just joined

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:38 pm

It's funny, the VDSL link itself comes up fine no matter what. It seems to be the bridge between the VDSL interface and the SFP interface that just doesn't come up. Whatever it is that makes the interface show as 'Running' in RouterOS basically. I haven't been able to make the SFP go into 'Running' state if Autoneg is turned off. It MUST be turned on for me to get the SFP to work.

I can't find a pattern to when it locks up either :\

Looking in my logs for when my LT2P sessions drop out doesn't show any regular time intervals:
2018-02-01 21:21 up
2018-02-14 10:06 down
(I wasn't home, so took a while to bring it back online)
2018-02-14 17:51 up
2018-02-19 06:26 down

2018-02-19 06:31: up
2018-02-28 03:31 down

2018-02-28 03:46 up
2018-03-09 21:06 down

It is interesting to note however, that it has never dropped out when noone is home. That's not to say that we have less bandwidth being used when noone is home. The only real difference would be that the wifi on the switch the SFP is plugged into would not usually be in use when noone is home. And the longest period of uptime was that first interval - the first nine days of which the wlan interface in the switch was disabled.. I wonder if the CPU in the SFP is picking up interference from the WIFI, and crashing?

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

What version RouterOS are you on ?

/M

rendrag
just joined

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm

I’m on 6.41.1 on a CRS-109 :)

tdussa

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:08 pm

What version RouterOS are you on ?
I'm on 6.41.2 on a hEX PoE (960PGS).

Same phenomenon, the VDSL link comes up just fine according to the modem LEDs (and the ISP's logs), but the actual data communication between the SFP and the hEX just stops. The hEX still thinks the interface is up and running though.

Cheers,
Toby.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Ive got it running on a CCR1016 and a couple hAP ac all on 6.40.5.

No problems.

/M

tdussa

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Ive got it running on a CCR1016 and a couple hAP ac all on 6.40.5.

No problems.
So wanna try upgrading to 6.41.2? ;-) (Don't even know whether that's available for CCR1016.)

Seriously though, I circumvented the problem. It dawned on me that my ZyXEL switch also has some SFPs, and what can I say, the 180-T runs happily in one of those ports without any problems whatsoever. Problem mitigated for me as long as I've got the hEX hooked up to my ZyXEL switch, which won't change anytime soon. The situation with the 180-T in the hEX is still not really nice though, obviously, so I'll keep monitoring this thread.

Cheers,
Toby.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:33 pm

So wanna try upgrading to 6.41.2? ;-) (Don't even know whether that's available for CCR1016.)

Do I feel suicidal ? 6.41.x is not mature yet. And these boxes are production.

So, not a chance.

There are several issues, that should have prevented from 6.41 going final, that still haven't been fixed (like 1100AHx4 not able to tagging vlan1 or random spanning tree issues on any hardware platform).

And as for a version being available. Once it becomes available, it's available for all platforms. There's no such thing only releasing it for one platform.

You're best off to downgrade to 6.40.5 to try to get it working.

/M

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:05 am

Anyone else with a module able to post real-world speed tests?

Just to confuse matters, Proscend have a "coming soon" webpage for the 190-T which also supports G.Fast (G.9700/G.9701).

A quick search shows other manufacturers with SFP VDSL2 modules:
  • Methode dataMate DM7087 (with G.Fast)
  • Metanoia MT-V5311 and MT-G5321 (with G.Fast)
  • Sckipio CP1020 (albeit reference design)
  • VersaTek VX-160 series
  • Tupavco TMRS-100 (rebadged Proscend 180-T?)

howdey57
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 pm

This is a very long thread now. Is there a summary in the Mikrotik documentation that describes the SFP dsl hardware that works with Mikrotik routers (with settings)?

Charles

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:26 am

It should be on this page https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik ... lity_table but it not mentioned so you have to find it in this thread.

breili
just joined

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:54 am

No, not really unfortunately. I'll try to follow up with Metanoia.
Sorry, no. I only tried it in an hAP AC and RB3011 . In both it seemed to be stable. The RB3011 was running on an VDSL in Austria for about 1.5 months without any issue. The hAP ac was on an point to point with the versatek bundle.
I don't have a real DSL anymore but got a ALL126AM3 around I can experiment with however.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:05 am

I've had 5 of these (all on VDSL lines with vectoring in Ireland) on 2 locations in production for a good few months now.

They work very well and I see the full 100M/20M, that the DSLAM can deliver.

Tested with CCR1016 and HAP ac. No problems.

/M

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:05 pm

This is a very long thread now. Is there a summary in the Mikrotik documentation that describes the SFP dsl hardware that works with Mikrotik routers (with settings)?
No, this thread is by users discussing what they have found on internet, bought themselves to experiment, and their findings.
There is absolutely zero support from MikroTik in this matter.
So you will have to look here...

BigTrumpet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:57 pm

I can confirm that Proscend 180-T is working with RB2011 and italian VDSL2 (TIM).
- eth autonegotiation off
- VLAN tagging
- PPPoE
thats' all!

I cannot see diagnostic info (datarate, signals, attenuation) but real speedtest is about 60/20 Mbps (same as previous router).

cheers,
Massimo

martix77
just joined

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Ciao,
@BigTrumpet, where did you buy the Proscend in Italy?

Thanks!

loic69
just joined

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:11 pm

And France ? Is it compatible ?

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Fritz!Box 7582 connected to a CO module of the RF/CO bundle from FMS. The SFP is sitting in a CCR1016.

Works absolutely without problems. Nice and easy way to build a VDSL test or provisioning rig.

/M

n1am
just joined

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:40 pm

I can confirm that Proscend 180-T is working with RB2011 and italian VDSL2 (TIM).
Hi BigTrumpet,
I live in Italy too. I'd like to know where did you buy the module.

Bye

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 03, 2018 12:57 am

Did some more tests with the VDSL CO SFP.

This is the same SFP as the Fritz!Box 7582 above.

So with a Fritz!Box 7590, which is newer and also supports Supervectoring at 35b, the results are actually worse:

The 7582 is using Broadcom chipsets. Most other Fritz!Box models use a different chipset, same as the 7590. So the 7581, 7582, 7583 (all Broadcom based) actually work best with the CO SFP.

I then went and thought .. hey .. how about connecting the Telco version of the SFP to the CO version of the SFP and see, what the results are:
(Telco version in hAP ac, CO version on CCR1016)

Now, that is very interesting. It indicates, that Telco SFP at least has some sort of supervectoring support. OpenEIRs DSLAMs are going to be enabled with Supervectoring 35b in the next couple months. It should be interesting what speeds the VDSL Telco SFPs then train at.

/M

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 am

Did you already find some way to get the connection parameters (profile, attainable rate, S/N, errors) from the SFP?

davidcx
just joined

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:35 am

I contacted Proscend regarding the VPI/VCI settings for the 180-T and was told unequivocally that the device does not support ADSL. I found this very strange as the data sheet does have the ADSL2+ specifications, so I asked for clarification and was again told that they do not have any devices that support ADSL.

This was Proscend's "Marketing & Sales Director" so one would think he would be able to talk authoritatively about the capabilities of his products. My guess is that they have quietly withdrawn this feature. At any rate I'm not deploying CPE devices in a mode that isn't supported by the manufacturer so it looks like we're back to no options for ADSL.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:05 pm

I think some people got it working with ADSL but there are limitations with the VPI/VCI setting. There is a couple of fixed settings that you
can access via a tagged VLAN and it is impossible to use it when the VPI/VCI you require is not in that list. So maybe there was some
misunderstanding when you inquired about that.

mabnz
just joined

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:55 am

I've recently purchased this to use with ADSL, but I can't seem to get it working. The LED is green which seems to indicate SHOWTIME.

I've set up an interface on my CPE as VLAN 6 (matching VCI/VPI 0/100 which is what I need) and used a PPPoE client, but it doesn't receive any packets on the interface nor an IP address. Is it correct that I need to tag packets with a VLAN tag in order to get it working?

Has anyone used it with ADSL successfully, who could share their configuration?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 am

ADSL often uses ATM rather than PPPoE. But it depends on your particular provider.
You would need to ask your provider or ask around in a forum etc to find what exactly has to be done on your provider's network to setup the connection.
You need to tag your packets with VLAN 6 (i.e. you create a VLAN interface with tag 6 and parent sfp1) and then on that VLAN interface you need to
use the configuration required for your provider.

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:00 am

I've recently purchased this to use with ADSL, but I can't seem to get it working. The LED is green which seems to indicate SHOWTIME.

I've set up an interface on my CPE as VLAN 6 (matching VCI/VPI 0/100 which is what I need) and used a PPPoE client, but it doesn't receive any packets on the interface nor an IP address. Is it correct that I need to tag packets with a VLAN tag in order to get it working?

Has anyone used it with ADSL successfully, who could share their configuration?
We distribute the Metanoia V5311-T-R in New Zealand and are working on this with the manufacturers.

We have the V5311-T-R working now on NZ EUBA ADSL in a test environment currently. Once all tests are done we will contact customers directly with the necessary updates.

Regards,

Stuart Campbell

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 pm

We distribute the Metanoia V5311-T-R in New Zealand and are working on this with the manufacturers.

We have the V5311-T-R working now on NZ EUBA ADSL in a test environment currently. Once all tests are done we will contact customers directly with the necessary updates.
What method do you use to read back the connection parameters and values in the test environment?
Do you have any contact with MikroTik support about it? Is there any indication that they will add some feature to RouterOS to readout these values while the SFP is in the router?

stef84

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Hello everybody.

In my country they are installing FTTC fiber optic from TIM and I would like to foresee an eventual upgrade.
I am looking for a VDSL2 modem to connect to my Mikrotik devices in my network and I have seen the Proscend 180-T product that I could connect to my RB2011's SFP port.
do you know if it could be compatible with Fibra TIM (O Fastweb or OpenFiber)?
Someone in Italy has carried out these tests?

Thanks in advance

Andre81

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello everybody.

In my country they are installing FTTC fiber optic from TIM and I would like to foresee an eventual upgrade.
I am looking for a VDSL2 modem to connect to my Mikrotik devices in my network and I have seen the Proscend 180-T product that I could connect to my RB2011's SFP port.

Thanks in advance
Hi Stef84,

we have installed the 180-T with TIM FTTC many times, and all succesfully.
The speed is lower than Technicolor modem (especially if you are far from the DSLAM, example 40Mb vs 50Mb but if you are near DSLAM the speed is similar to the Technicolor modem), but it works perfectly.

Bye bye

A.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:09 pm

But that is so slow. I have tried it as well and I too get only 40Mb but with a native VDSL2 modem I get 100Mb.
Unfortunately I still cannot look in the SFP to see what VDSL profile it has negotiated and what the actual and attainable bitrates are.
So with these modules (and with this level of MikroTIk support) we are at a dead end.
It is unfortunate, as this solution looked so promising. VDSL support for MikroTik routers without them having to design dedicated router/modems like others offer.
But apparently the interest in VDSL in the Baltic states is low (everyone has FTTH), and the high interest in some other countries is no incentive for MikroTIk to help those users...
They rather work on Kid Control, Detect Internet and IP cloud :( :(

stef84

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello everybody.

Thanks in advance
Hi Stef84,

we have installed the 180-T with TIM FTTC many times, and all succesfully.
The speed is lower than Technicolor modem (especially if you are far from the DSLAM, example 40Mb vs 50Mb but if you are near DSLAM the speed is similar to the Technicolor modem), but it works perfectly.

Bye bye

A.
Thanks for the reply. I thought this modem was better than the Technicolor and that it will reach higher speeds than the TIM modem.
If you tell me so, I do not think it is convenient to buy, rather better to use the original modem in bridge mode and run pppoe authentication with mikrotik.

Thanks again

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I thought this modem was better than the Technicolor and that it will reach higher speeds than the TIM modem.
If you tell me so, I do not think it is convenient to buy, rather better to use the original modem in bridge mode and run pppoe authentication with mikrotik.
I think it very much depends on what vendor DSLAM you are connecting to.

OpenEIR here in Ireland are using the Huawei platform and we've had no issues with the SFPs sold by https://www.mikrotik-shop.de/ ... 100 Mbit/s with vectoring on a couple locations.

/M

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:03 am

What method do you use to read back the connection parameters and values in the test environment?
Do you have any contact with MikroTik support about it? Is there any indication that they will add some feature to RouterOS to readout these values while the SFP is in the router?
We built an L2 tunnel back to the factory and all the magic happened there so unfortunately we have no visibility.

There is an API available by subscription - it would be nice if MK directly integrated this but I suspect the cost is too high.

nefer
just joined

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Hello,
I just received one of the Proscend 180-T units from mikrotik-shop.de ...
the unit seems to be working fine, according to the leaflet the connection with the DSLAM works fine, solid orange and green leds, but in mikrotik i get an Rx Lose status and it doesn't work.
what could be the issue?

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm

What Mikrotik device are you using ?

Do you have it in a SFP or a 1G/10G port ?

What version of RouterOS does your device have ?

It won't working in 10G ports and for some of the devices you may have to set 1G full-duplex and disable autonegotiation.

/M

nefer
just joined

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 pm

What Mikrotik device are you using ?

Do you have it in a SFP or a 1G/10G port ?

What version of RouterOS does your device have ?

It won't working in 10G ports and for some of the devices you may have to set 1G full-duplex and disable autonegotiation.

/M
Hi marlow,
I have a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+... I solved the problem, like you said I could not use the 10G port which is the one I was trying to use.... setting it to 1G manually didn't work as well... then I put the module on the combo SFP port and it started working perfectly, still disabling autonegotiation.
Initially it worked even with autonegotiation but then after a reboot i had to disable it.
So changing the port was the trick.
Works fine even if it does not support profile 35b which is the one my provider gives me, so it connects at a much lower speed.

By the way the routeros version i have is the latest 6.42.5

Thank you for your help.

By the way for the other italians on this thread I have a wind-infostrada connection which probably still is a tim line...

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Works fine even if it does not support profile 35b which is the one my provider gives me, so it connects at a much lower speed.

It works with 17a and 30a. I didn't expect it to work with 35b, but it would have been nice, if it did.

Good you got it working. And yes .. it definatly doesn't like the SFP+ ports.

/M

nefer
just joined

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:32 pm

in about 24 hours of testing I found out that performace drops a lot for some reason.
Having no way to check the dsl speeds it connects at, I had to rely on speedtest.net and normal usage.
Yesterday night after finally making it work i had about 70-72 mbits speed down, while today it had just crawled to 0-6mbits.... i double tested this by reconnecting the telco cpe and speeds were back to normal so i'm not sure what was going on...
also in the logs of the mikrotik i spotted this: "fcs error on link" on the sfp interface... only 2 times but still doesn't sound good...

also this might be unrelated but on another interface i have in a bridge on the lan side i get this : bridge port received a packet with own address as source address, probably loop.
the mac address is the one of the bridge, but the interface it comes from has a different mac so not sure what's going on.
despite this it all seems to work fine...

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:44 pm

also in the logs of the mikrotik i spotted this: "fcs error on link" on the sfp interface... only 2 times but still doesn't sound good...

This is a Mikrotik issue. You can ignore that.

also this might be unrelated but on another interface i have in a bridge on the lan side i get this : bridge port received a packet with own address as source address, probably loop.

This is ALSO a Mikrotik issue, which you can ignore. I raised a ticket with them about that, which they weren't interested in solving.

I've been using 2 or 3 of those SFPs in a CCR1016s in parallel (2 locations) for months without speed degradation. My provider is using the Huawei platform. So I'm not sure, what's going on with yours.

/M

breili
just joined

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:17 pm

I contacted Proscend regarding the VPI/VCI settings for the 180-T and was told unequivocally that the device does not support ADSL. I found this very strange as the data sheet does have the ADSL2+ specifications, so I asked for clarification and was again told that they do not have any devices that support ADSL.

This was Proscend's "Marketing & Sales Director" so one would think he would be able to talk authoritatively about the capabilities of his products. My guess is that they have quietly withdrawn this feature. At any rate I'm not deploying CPE devices in a mode that isn't supported by the manufacturer so it looks like we're back to no options for ADSL.
I don't know about Proscend, however when I got my Versatek bundle I was curious if it would work on a UK BT ADSL line. To my surprise it worked (note that the SFP isn't certified with BT requirements SIN346/SIN498 as far as I know).
The reason I was surprised is that the Metanoia spec sheet (downloadable pdf) has "30a without ADSL backward" in, which I read as either VDSL 30a or ADSL support but not both. (the Versatek provided spec sheet for the bundle states that both is supported while the CE version doesn't mention ADSL at all).

breili
just joined

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 pm

We built an L2 tunnel back to the factory and all the magic happened there so unfortunately we have no visibility.

There is an API available by subscription - it would be nice if MK directly integrated this but I suspect the cost is too high.
What kind of magic happens there? Just monitoring or does it configure the SFPs too (or even allow firmware updates)?

Do you have more details on the API? Any indication of cost, e.g. would be likely workable for an end user with a few of the SFPs?

TechnicalVault
just joined

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Hello,
I just received one of the Proscend 180-T units from mikrotik-shop.de ...
the unit seems to be working fine, according to the leaflet the connection with the DSLAM works fine, solid orange and green leds, but in mikrotik i get an Rx Lose status and it doesn't work.
what could be the issue?
I've had the same issue with an ALLNET ALl4781 and a RB3011. The ISP side diagnostics and LEDS tell me that I've synced successfully but the MikroTik unit has yet to pick up on this and it still stuck in "Rx Lose" status. I've logged a support ticket, and we'll see what happens. This seems to be the same issue as someone is having with the 1000BASE-LX/LH (GLC-LH-SM) (viewtopic.php?t=122917) so I'm guessing it's an issue on the MikroTik side.

jabuzzard
just joined

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm

What kind of magic happens there? Just monitoring or does it configure the SFPs too (or even allow firmware updates)?

Do you have more details on the API? Any indication of cost, e.g. would be likely workable for an end user with a few of the SFPs?
There is if you read the Metanoia patent (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20160241293.pdf) something that they call the Ethernet Boot and Management protocol that you can use to change settings and read the status by exchanging inband ethernet packets with the device. There is in theory a piece of Windows software that can be used to interface with the device, but from what I have seen on the internet it does not work (see https://forum.turris.cz/t/vdsl-sfp-bridge-modem/1296/21). In theory if one could get that working it would be trivial to use Wireshark to snoop on the device and write some replacement software to get stats, status of the device, change settings etc. on Linux which would could then be added to RouterOS, or even Ubiquiti/pfSense if that is your poison.

jabuzzard
just joined

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 am

I don't know about Proscend, however when I got my Versatek bundle I was curious if it would work on a UK BT ADSL line. To my surprise it worked (note that the SFP isn't certified with BT requirements SIN346/SIN498 as far as I know).
Note that while the U.K. remains in the E.U. BT SIN498 is illegal, as it is in direct contravention of article three paragraph 1 of EU regulation 2015/2120, which states :-

End-users shall have the right to access and distribute information and content, use and provide applications and services, and use terminal equipment of their choice, irrespective of the end-user’s or provider’s location or the location, origin or destination of the information, content, application or service, via their internet access service.

The opening notes for the regulation note that terminal equipment needs to comply with commission Directive 2008/63/EC. What directive 2008/63/EC is define a the conformance tests that a device must pass in order to connected to an telecommunications network in the E.U. It's not much of a single market if Mikrotik for example needed to get their VDSL SFP certified individually in all 28 countries of the E.U. which used to be the state of play.

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 pm

So are there any other suppliers for the Proscend 180-T apart from mikrotik-shop.de? I'm not even sure that's the same model on sale on that website due to generic pictures and datasheet.
I'm based in the UK if that helps. Hoping to install into a hAP ac with a fibre cabinet about 100m away, not vectoring or G.Fast enabled.

jabuzzard
just joined

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm

These are all the places that I am aware of through Google searches of actually selling the device in one guise or another in Europe.

https://www.mikrotik-shop.de/Interfaces ... :2192.html
https://shop.meconet.de/Hardware-Einzel ... 17361.html
https://www.nsys.gr/en/proscend-180-t-v ... telco.html
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07C4SGV63/

Personally I am thinking of going with the last one as this is the Allnet version which has by all accounts been through testing to get it working in Germany which presumably means it has been tested for compliance with Directive 2008/63/EC. Consequently I would be able to tell BT/Openreach to go shove it where the sun doesn't shine should they cause start making a fuss.

What I really want to know before I purchase it is can you get hold of the software that allegedly configures it, reads stats. One suspects that the person reporting it does not work was using a specific version of Windows (likely 10), and if you mess about somewhat trying different versions it will work. I can then run wireshark against it and write something that will work under Linux/Unix, and hence on a range of firewalls (MikroTik, Ubiquiti, pfSense etc.)

smartdev
just joined

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 pm

I have given one of these a go in the UK in an RB3011, however I don't seem to get sync. I just get the amber light and the light on the right flashing green.Tried turning off auto negotiation,rebooting ect. Any ideas? Anyone got these working in the UK?

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:24 am

I have given one of these a go in the UK in an RB3011, however I don't seem to get sync. I just get the amber light and the light on the right flashing green.Tried turning off auto negotiation,rebooting ect. Any ideas? Anyone got these working in the UK?
Which exact device model did you buy? Previous posts suggest that ALLNET devices only work with ALLNET DSLAMs for example. Which UK ISP are you with? Huawei or ECI DSLAM?
Other posters have mentioned no issues or many issues with RB3011, some say SFP is more reliable than SFP+, and it seems you already know about turning off auto-negotiation, etc.
Good luck and post back with results so others can gauge what works where.

smartdev
just joined

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:03 pm

I have a Versatek VX-160CE, however it shows up in the 3011 as a Proscend 180-T. The ISP is PlusNet. I don't know what DSLAM is in place, ill go and have a look at the cab as I think they are physically different?

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:29 pm

I have a Versatek VX-160CE, however it shows up in the 3011 as a Proscend 180-T. The ISP is PlusNet. I don't know what DSLAM is in place, ill go and have a look at the cab as I think they are physically different?
The cab doesn't necessarily come with the DSLAM. Could be anything in there.

Best way to identify what your provider uses is checking with a router, that gives you those details. The Fritz!Box for example reports back, what manufacturer and firmware version is running on the DSLAM. Broadcom in my case, which is what for example Huawei use. Most of the time, you need to know a tech in the telco to know, what they use.

/M

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:02 pm

I have a Versatek VX-160CE, however it shows up in the 3011 as a Proscend 180-T.
That's interesting...

Marlow, you previously said you bought the device from mikrotik-shop.de - did that also show up as a Proscend 180-T or something else?
I'm trying to narrow down what might work when my nearby fibre cab goes live. Looks like my only ISP options will be BT or PlusNet.
It does look like meconet.de and mikrotik-shop.de might be the same company so I suspect it's the same device as smartdev but it would be helpful to confirm so I can place an order.

rushlife
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am

xDSL modem from Mikrotik would be great....

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 am

xDSL modem from Mikrotik would be great....
No, it would be a can of worms. Every country, every provider uses slightly different setups and wellknown DSL
modem manufacturers make different firmware versions for different situations. You see that happening here
in this thread, where a German distributor has had contact with the manufacturer and has a special version made.

However, what would be great: Support from MikroTik for the protocol used to display the connection information
of these VDSL SFP modules so you can see the training speed, operating mode, SNR etc. That would be very valuable
to the DSL users and MikroTik would not have to deal with the particular issues of DSL.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:47 pm

I have a Versatek VX-160CE, however it shows up in the 3011 as a Proscend 180-T.
That's interesting...

Marlow, you previously said you bought the device from mikrotik-shop.de - did that also show up as a Proscend 180-T or something else?
I'm trying to narrow down what might work when my nearby fibre cab goes live. Looks like my only ISP options will be BT or PlusNet.
It does look like meconet.de and mikrotik-shop.de might be the same company so I suspect it's the same device as smartdev but it would be helpful to confirm so I can place an order.
No. They have their own stickers on the SFPs, but they come up as Proscend 180-T in the SFP information in Mikrotik.

/M

Kaldek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:20 am

Any known issues with power consumption using these in a CRS125? The supplied power supply is 12v 2.4 amps I believe. I have a CRS125-24G-1S so there's no WiFi.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:07 am

Any known issues with power consumption using these in a CRS125? The supplied power supply is 12v 2.4 amps I believe. I have a CRS125-24G-1S so there's no WiFi.
The factory supplied power supply is 24V 0.8A. Either way, I don't think you'll see any issues.

I've ran those on CCR1016, HAP ac and 951s. Currently testing 2 of them in a CRS106-1C-5S. No issues to speak of.

/M

Buster2

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:02 am

Hi folks,

very interesting thread :)

In Germany DTAG (Telekom) started to sell "super vectoring" (G.993.2 Annex Q, profile 35b, DTAG requirements on page 62). Are there any experiences out there with modems discussed in this thread? How future proof are these devices? Could there be something like a firmware update to support new profiles or do we need new hardware then?

Regards.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:05 am

In Germany DTAG (Telekom) started to sell "super vectoring" (G.993.2 Annex Q, profile 35b, DTAG requirements on page 62). Are there any experiences out there with modems discussed in this thread? How future proof are these devices? Could there be something like a firmware update to support new profiles or do we need new hardware then?

Not. The Allnet ones can handle 20b supervectoring, but not 25b. Tested with AVM Fritz!Box 7582 and 7590. Against the Master sfp of the Client/Master pair.

Haven't had the chance of testing them on a 25b supervectoring DSLAM yet.

/M

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 am

For 35b you have to wait for this one:

https://www.proscend.com/images/Downloa ... 51011s.pdf

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:30 am

For 35b you have to wait for this one:

https://www.proscend.com/images/Downloa ... 51011s.pdf
Interesting that the development goes on. Next would be a model that supports line bonding?
It is used here to get even higher speeds: 2 lines in parallel with ethernet-level load balancing to get 2x the speed.

However, I have abandoned the use of these things as there is apparently no support forthcoming from MikroTik to view the status and it is not acceptable to run connections "in the blind".
So external modems it will have to be...

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:41 pm

There is no point in developing these for line bonding.

First of all, they get hot enough as they are handling 1 phone line. You also have to consider power consumption of the sfp, which is high as it is.

Secondly, there are no problems running multiple in for example a CCR1016 and then either run MLPPP (If your provider allows you to establish multiple lines with the same credentials) or the way we use them is with bonded EoIP tunnels and baby jumbo frames, which works excellent for bonding, of you are in control of both ends.

/M

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:30 pm

In the future??? Is DSL the future, I thing PON and SFP is the future!

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:03 pm

In the future??? Is DSL the future, I thing PON and SFP is the future!

There are lots of Telcos, that still build on their copper plant and are ignoring the migration to FTTH. Hey .. German Telekom is one of those, that still haven't got around to fiber thinking.

The biggest joke of that is large areas in eastern Germany, where the copper networks were so bad, that when they replaced it, they put fiber in. But they had not invested in technology to deliver broadband on fiber, so when DSL came around, those on fiber couldn't get broadband. Don't think they've fixed that yet :) ... 20 years later.

Here in Ireland we got (sort of) lucky, in that we have 3 large FTTH deployments and lots of smaller ones. And one of the larger ones now covers 180k+ rural homes with FTTH. But VDSL is still a big thing, especially in urban areas, and 25b supervectoring is being implemented before the end of the year here. So support for that would be good to have.

/M

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Secondly, there are no problems running multiple in for example a CCR1016 and then either run MLPPP (If your provider allows you to establish multiple lines with the same credentials) or the way we use them is with bonded EoIP tunnels and baby jumbo frames, which works excellent for bonding, of you are in control of both ends.
Bonding is an option offered by the ISPs here (as part of their competition with cable and fiber which offer a lot higher rates) and it is not using MLPPP.
It is balancing at the ethernet level and a single PPPoE connection is running over the combined link.
For the subscriber it is a single connection with a single address but with double speed.
There are a couple of existing external DSL modem/routers that support bonding and the only visible difference is that they use all four wires of the RJ11 line connector.
I don't know if there are two single-line DSL chips or a different special dual-line DSL chip in them.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:36 pm

There are lots of Telcos, that still build on their copper plant and are ignoring the migration to FTTH. Hey .. German Telekom is one of those, that still haven't got around to fiber
The issue is not the equipment but the cables running to the homes. E.g. where I live there is fiber to streetcabinets that offer DSL to the homes, and I get 100/30 Mbps
over a single Vectored VDSL2 line. And I could have that extended by using 35b profile AND by using bonding, so the speed can be about quadrupled.

Wiring fiber to the individual homes, while being done all over the country, is expensive and not as easy as using the existing copper wiring infrastructure.
Usually it is only done with subsidy from the municipality or a housing council. The Telco/ISP by itself will not do it.
(of course you can get individual fiber but it has to be paid at cost of installation which is usually about 50 euro/meter of digging)

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Wiring fiber to the individual homes, while being done all over the country, is expensive and not as easy as using the existing copper wiring infrastructure.
Usually it is only done with subsidy from the municipality or a housing council. The Telco/ISP by itself will not do it.
(of course you can get individual fiber but it has to be paid at cost of installation which is usually about 50 euro/meter of digging)
Of course it's expensive to replace existing copper infrastructure with fiber. No question there. And thats why DSL isn't dead.

But i've seen scenarios where german telecom even has rolled new copper out instead of going fiber. And that's outright stupid.

/M

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Copper perfectly suited to be used in closely build area's and over cable 1Gbit/s is already used and VDSL is also available in higher speeds.

Fiber is well suited to cover long distances of 20+ km and here in the Netherlands it is more and more used for people living outside the cities. The people run their self the bundeling of the interest people.

A bad thing is when there are enough people interested the big telecom firms try to torpedo the iniative by offering their solution the never will be implemented.

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm

However, I have abandoned the use of these things as there is apparently no support forthcoming from MikroTik to view the status and it is not acceptable to run connections "in the blind".
So external modems it will have to be...
So do you have one you're willing to sell and ship to UK? Email me at dofrotest123@gmail.com as this board doesn't seem to support direct messaging?!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:21 pm

I am not going to ship mine as I am not certain it is 100% working. (the past 2 experiments failed to result in link while that worked before)
However, you can easily order it from FMS Internetservice GmbH in Germany.

arfoll

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:31 am

I bought a ALLNET ALL4781-VDSL2-SFP for my VDSL2 17a G.Vector (ITU G.993.5) line using 1&1 in germany. It's sold as a 100Mb/s VDSL2 line and syncs at around 109Mb/s on a fritzbox 7412.

The modem synced fine in my RB2011 green light went solid in less than a minute. After some confusion on the PPPOE details (eventually got them with packet captures via the fritz.box diag tools) I was able to get to it "Link established" by having the PPPOE client connect to VLAN7 on the SFP interface. That got me to "link established". Then messing with the MTU values to set it to 1492 got me to "Authenticated" in the PPPOE client and I could scan and find a service and mac.

However, I didn't manage to go further (which I assume is the 'connected' stage), the PPPOE client just goes in a loop and tries to reconnect after 1 minute. I'm a bit out of ideas but I feel like I'm really close so any help is welcome!

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:58 pm

I finally have a FTTC connection provided by UK ISP "SSE" so now I can post an update, which is really a request for help :(

With the ISP-supplied router/modem (a Technicolor TG589vac v2) everything works as expected and specifically I can send 1500-byte pings (i.e. 1500 IP packet size) with don't-fragment bit set successfully to/from my internet server. (I'll call these "full size pings"). So we know my ISP supports RFC4638 / baby-jumbos.

If I connect my hAP ac running RouterOS v6.43.4 to a TG589 LAN port then full-size pings still work OK.

If I set the TG589 into bridge mode, where the TG589 only handles the VDSL side (including VLAN tagging required for UK FTTC network) and the hAP does PPPoE then it partially works:
/interface pppoe-client add add-default-route=yes disabled=no interface=ether5 keepalive-timeout=disabled max-mru=1500 max-mtu=1500 name=SSE password=PASSWORD profile=pppoe-client-default use-peer-dns=yes user=USERNAME@ISP

13:59:13 pppoe,ppp,info SSE: initializing... 
13:59:13 pppoe,ppp,info SSE: connecting... 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet ether5: sent PADI to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     session-id=0x0000 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     host-uniq=0x15b0001 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     service-name= 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     ppp-max-payload=1500 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet ether5: rcvd PADO from 2A:8A:1C:EC:7C:29 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     ac-name=nge001.clc-re0 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     host-uniq=0x15b0001 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     ac-cookie=1e 3f 7b 3c df 1e fe 44 ba 13 e9 34 fc 3e 7a 62 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet ether5: sent PADR to 2A:8A:1C:EC:7C:29 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     host-uniq=0x15b0002 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     ac-cookie=1e 3f 7b 3c df 1e fe 44 ba 13 e9 34 fc 3e 7a 62 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet ether5: rcvd PADS from 2A:8A:1C:EC:7C:29 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     session-id=0x015c 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     host-uniq=0x15b0002 
13:59:13 pppoe,debug,packet     ac-name=nge001.clc-re0 
... then LCP, IPIP, etc.
The hAP doesn't want to create a PPPoE session with 1500 MTU:
/interface print where type="pppoe-out"
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, R - running, S - slave 
 #     NAME                                TYPE       ACTUAL-MTU L2MTU  MAX-L2MTU MAC-ADDRESS      
 0  R  SSE                                 pppoe-out        1480
The hAP ethernet port connected to the TG589 has MTU set to 1512. I've tried setting various pppoe-client settings like "max-mtu" and "max-mru" to 1500. Even if I set the "pppoe-out" interface's MTU to 1500 it reverts back to 1480 after a few seconds.

Trying to offload more work onto the hAP just makes things worse for me.
With VLAN tagging turned off on the TG589 and a vlan interface created on the hAP then PPPoE from the hAP doesn't work at all:
/interface vlan add interface=ether5 mtu=1512 name=VDSL-vlan vlan-id=101 arp=disabled
/interface pppoe-client set [ find name=SSE ] interface=VDSL-vlan
I've no idea why because the "PADI" packets sent have the correct vlan ID but no "PADO" responses arrive:
19:17:12 pppoe,ppp,info SSE: initializing... 
19:17:12 pppoe,ppp,info SSE: connecting... 
19:17:12 pppoe,debug,packet VDSL-vlan: sent PADI to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF 
19:17:12 pppoe,debug,packet     session-id=0x0000 
19:17:12 pppoe,debug,packet     host-uniq=0x13a0001 
19:17:12 pppoe,debug,packet     service-name= 
19:17:12 pppoe,debug,packet     ppp-max-payload=1500 
19:17:13 pppoe,debug,packet VDSL-vlan: sent PADI to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF 
19:17:13 pppoe,debug,packet     session-id=0x0000 
19:17:13 pppoe,debug,packet     host-uniq=0x13a0001 
19:17:13 pppoe,debug,packet     service-name= 
19:17:13 pppoe,debug,packet     ppp-max-payload=1500 

The ideal final setup is with the Proscend 180-T in the SFP port in the hAP:
/interface ethernet set [ find default-name=sfp1 ] speed=1Gbps arp=disabled auto-negotiation=no mtu=1512
/interface vlan set [ find name=VDSL-vlan ] set interface=sfp1
As other people have said, setting speed=1Gbps and auto-negotiation=no gives the interface "running" state.
The green LED on the Proscend goes solid so I guess DSL synchronization is OK.
Again, no "PADO" responses arrive when I try PPPoE.

I do have a couple of RB260GS with also feature an SFP port so might try some tests using that.

So I guess I'm asking for feedback on:
  • Known working/broken RouterOS devices, e.g. hAP ac works, hAP ac2 broken, RB260GS
  • Known working/broken RouterOS versions, e.g. 6.43.4 works, 6.40.1 broken
  • Confirmation/config examples of PPPoE with vlan tagging, particularly with 1500 MTU allowing full-size pings

Other related threads:
PPPoE MTU problem
PPPoE connection to UK BT ADSL, MTU with RFC 4638 which mentions RouterOS RFC4638 support since 6.33!
PPPoE RFC4638 problem. Not seeing 1500 MTU on pppoe-client?
More investigation into Mikrotik PPPoE negotiated MTUs
Last edited by dohmniq on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.