Community discussions

MikroTik App

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

PPPoE Server and Proxy ARP with IPv4 and IPv6

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:29 am

On our PPPoE servers we have used proxy ARP for IPv4 connections. Is there a way to do the same thing with IPv6? Say a user logs in on one of several PPPoE servers and I want to statically assign them the same IPv6 /64 every time. I am currently statically routing the a /48 to the PPPoE server then serving each user with /64's by PPPoE. But I cannot statically route if I do not know which PPPoE server they will connect on. Else can OSPF do this?

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

PPPoE Server and Proxy ARP with IPv4 and IPv6

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Ospf instance can publish connected routes but using it for PPPoE can create a flood of lsa's

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoE Server and Proxy ARP with IPv4 and IPv6

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:01 pm

There really isn't a direct analogy to proxy arp in v6 because you're dealing in subnets with V6 as opposed to individual host addresses.

How are you routing the /48 to the PPPoE servers?

You will probably need to redistribute static routes into OSPF, but you could keep this minimized with some filters.
As long as each PPPoE server has an assigned subset of this 48 for user pools, say you split the 48 into 16 /52 blocks - this would let you have up to 16 PPPoE servers. On each server, black-hole route its own /52 and then redistribute static routes - allowing the /52 through the filter, but discarding any sub-ranges of that same /52 (ospf-out filter is used in IPv4 to accomplish this, so I'd expect the same to be needed in OSPFv3)

If any user "roams" to a different server, then their individual prefix will be allowed as a more specific route.