Community discussions

MikroTik App

roanwifi
just joined
Topic Author

CCR1036 memory upgrade question

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi

I have been looking for a memory upgrade for the CCR1036 but it is not clear to me.

What is the absolute maximum memory it can be installed? 16 Giga? I'm interested in upgrading the memory to the absolute maximum to the simple 36 core model (I'm only using two gigabit ethernet ports at all). The router is in a datacenter so the temperature is OK: no need to have high swing memory modules.

If so, what kind of memory modules may I need?

Thanks!!
Antonio

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CCR1036 memory upgrade question

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:45 pm

The device has 2x 2GB DDR3 10600 SODIMM modules installed. Same type of 10600 memory can be used, 16GB is supported, or more, if you can find such modules.

roanwifi
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks for the prompt answer!!!

The bigger module I have found is 8 Giga (2 x 8 = 16 giga). Is it standard computer memory 10600 SODIMM?

eg:

Manuf P/N
[table][tr][td][/td]
[td]KCP313SD8/8[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Ref TD [/td]
[td]3736833 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]EAN: [/td]
[td]740617253672 [/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Kingston
  • DDR3
  • 8 GB
  • SO DIMM de 204 espigas
  • 1333 MHz / PC3-10600
  • CL9
  • 1.5 V
  • sin memoria intermedia
  • no ECC
  • para Alienware M18; HP EliteBook 2170, 25XX, 2760, 84XX, 85XX, 87XX; ProBook 4540, 64XX, 65XX
Best regards?
Antonio

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:24 pm

Yes, looks fine 

ofca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Just out of pure curiosity: why do you need so much memory on CCR?

patrick7

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Some BGP Fulltables?

roanwifi
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm using it for IPTV video transcoding with ffmpeg : it consumes 200-300+ mbytes per instance...

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm using it for IPTV video transcoding with ffmpeg : it consumes 200-300+ mbytes per instance...
That's quite interesting. How do You do it? Run a OpenWrt, or something like it, on the device? Is the speed good?

ofca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Do you use RouterOS on the CCR as some kind of hypervisor, or did you install some completely different base OS?

SystemErrorMessage

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:57 pm

This is interesting, im always looking at giving more tasks to my CCR. If it supports video encoding or even plex that would be great.

If i used faster RAM in the CCR (higher frequency, lower timings) would the CCR be able to take advantage of it? The CCR1072 page shows the speed on different memory frequencies seem to affect throughput.

roanwifi
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm using routeros as base os and running my applications over it. I have enabled the devel account in order to access to the shell, then installed a complete busybox (as the one which comes with routeros is very limited). I'm evaluating ffmpeg for mpeg2  (4-5 mbit/s) to mpeg4/xvid/x264 (1 mbit/s)  transcoding: I compiled from the sources and testing it. Now I have a server farm doing this job for (+50 tv channels) and consumes huge amouth of electricity (+300€/month!!), requires air conditioned, etc... I'm trying to fix this...

Transcoding from mpeg2 to mpeg4 is working fine consuming less than 2 cores per stream, but xvid or x264 is not working because I'm unable to let them work as multi-thread (despite compiled and enforced) and with one core only there isn't enough power to transcode one stream...

regards
Antonio

SystemErrorMessage

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:51 pm

300 euro a month just for a server farm electricity? Thats a lot cheaper than the UK which with a flat my electric bill used to amount to £100 a month for only having a laptop, router, lights and electric cooker/heater. Electricity wasnt wasted either. Now i just get rent with bills inclusive so i can use however much i want for cheap.

How did you get a developer account, I would definitely put all the UTM features on my CCR if i was able to. It would make the CCR1036 a very powerful and inexpensive all in one network solution for homes.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 am

Some people have succeeded to install OpenWRT on the CCR, but it can be difficult and some things will not work properly 

roanwifi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:18 am

Hi Normis

why you at mikrotik doesn't develop a mikrotik package for video transcoding based on ffmpeg and the tilera medialib? (fully optimized for the tile platform)  You have other modules like hotspot, proxy, etc.. this can be a new application for this equipment... Even you can sell it apart!! (me and lots of people doing IPTV will buy it!)... the benefits are more than evidents: no hard disk => no problems, no "lot of unncesary computer components" => no problems, low power consumption, cheap equipment VS performance, easy management, etc...

I told this to your representatives last year at MUM Madrid but it seems this has not been forwarded inside your organization...

Regards
Antonio

ofca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:06 pm

I wonder why posts with useful links and howtos got censored from this thread?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:32 pm

What was censored?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 pm

OpenWRT threads and ways to get other stuff to run on the CCR, please post such threads in the OpenWRT forums. 

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Damnit mods, The lack of many features of mikrotik is the reason why im preferring openWRT or gaining root on mikrotik. The CCR platform has a lot of potential and many features mikrotik lacks in todays networks. Switch based IGMP proxy, DNScrypt, a software library so we can add features we need, the lack of STP variants and STP on switches, i mean how could you release a managed switch and not have STP?

ofca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Well, sooner or later, SDN and whitebox band wagon will kill off CCRs and CRSes, if Mikrotik doesn't get on the progress train. There's still a place for a company that creates good and cheap hardware that's open and powerful - Mikrotik may be that company, or if not, someone else will do it. Question of time. People want root access; people want stuff you clearly don't provide. They paid for the hardware, you made your money, so why make things hard for your paying customers? You should be the ones posting howtos explaining how to install OpenWRT, instead you are the ones deleting links... Normis, times've changed. Mikrotik evolved from company that sold routeros licences - you now sell hardware and make money by selling hardware. More this hardware can do, more people will buy it. Evolve some more. Compete with this: http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... X3648S.cfm and grow more. :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RE: Re: CCR1036 memory upgrade question

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 pm

OpenWRT threads and ways to get other stuff to run on the CCR, please post such threads in the OpenWRT forums. 
Even this topic was about memory modules originally, I wonder why here on user experience forum users cannot share their experiences with other software running on routerboards. It could be a section for it here and mikrotik can take an inspiration from it knowing what features are making people to get rid of ros and install openwrt. It can help you to make better devices and better software too. It's an opportunity for you. Take it so.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:01 am

Probably every device that "opened up" got a consistent sales boost (remember those D-link and Asus routers?).
Why not take advantage of this?
I know it can be a support nightmare, but with a proper EULA it is doable.

ofca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:43 am

Support nightmare? Mikrotik's first two support steps: 1) upgrade to newest stable ROS, 2) generate and send supout. Both won't happen on some other OS.

Anyway, there are two opportunities here:
1) Make RouterOS run, and run good on aforementioned whitebox switches (like the supermicro one). Cumulus Linux doesn't support MPLS at this time and people are asking for that. It's also ridiculously expensive, with over $2k pricetag for 10G license.
2) Make CCRs support http://onie.org/ - from what I see installing either Cumulus or Pica8 on CCR would be a downgrade from routeros, but in the end -- it's end user's choice.

With both combined, Mikrotik would enter (and probably disrupt quite heavily) a new market, where prices are absurd at this point in time. People behind Cumulus Linux would become sad quite quickly ;)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 am

There is no need to support user modified devices at all. Who removes the ros, looses support. Who modified hardware, losses hardware warranty. If I was mikrotik I would appreciate extending the list of reasons why people are buying my products.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 am

as for SDN - it will, but it not just "work over bells&whistles and magical unicrons", its need platform Beyond it to run SDN framework and thats where scalability issues happen even Before SDN benefits (may)kick in business. thats generally Generic Linux flaw and thats why Tilera - come with heavily-customised fork of it to adress such (scalability)issues. but i prefer different things a bit. say DragonflyBSD or L4 mikrokernel forks and alike of.
Just out of pure curiosity: why do you need so much memory on CCR?
its not usual for forwarding itself(unless you run core router in BB ISP. which isn't usual consumer of CCR's), but for secuirty applications, eg if you put CCR as "edge router" of relatively big company or MAN - its make sense(but more - outside ROS cause locked-down nature. VyOS is kind more popular there for that reason and choice of itsec appls(starting from IPS))

SystemErrorMessage

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:58 pm

There is no need to support user modified devices at all. Who removes the ros, looses support. Who modified hardware, losses hardware warranty. If I was mikrotik I would appreciate extending the list of reasons why people are buying my products.
Perhaps you should also list the reasons why people dont buy your products or why they modify them lol.
Take the CCR for example, some models all suffer from same problem. I use better PSU outside because of better cooling and at least no more issues powering USB.
A lot of people who buy mikrotik do so for only 1 reason which is cost. I've seen some routerboards geared towards consumers but i dont see that same spirit as older models where they are modular and you can use different hardware modules to suit your needs. Infact less people know about mikrotik than they do ubiquiti because ubiquiti does marketing and offer cheap products that only seem faster because of hardware acceleration. Mikrotik needs to make their own promotional video on youtube and also useful information that ubiquiti doesnt list realistic speeds as many people who buy both brands use NAT in some form whether it is the consumer or ISP like WISPs who perform NAT for their customers.
But unlike ubiquiti when a particular feature is needed mikrotik cannot provide it unlike with ubiquiti where you can install debian packages and software as long as you can find MIPS binaries or compile them for MIPS. You can install snort and clamav on an edgerouter but you cannot do that on mikrotik. As i have been saying mikrotik is now behind other brands in software features that are important and network related. The recommendation to a business is to use pfsense or get a UTM and i see ubiquiti recommended more than mikrotik because of the extra features it supports. DNScrypt for one would help those who have their ISPs hijacking their DNS. You may think DNS filtering as totally alright but it means you cannot implement DNS level protection from content and malware using a service like openDNS.

If you want embedded and low power what ubiquiti edgerouter lets you do is install snort and clamav and use clamav with squid proxy, using transparent proxy in order to have networked antivirus applied on web content. Lack of UTM and security related features on mikrotik is one reason why mikrotik is falling behind in the business, SOHO and consumer market. Sure lots of ISPs are now buying CCRs to use at endpoints but mikrotik still needs added software features in order to be able to make it into datacenter and in the lower end at homes, SOHO and businesses.

roanwifi
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi Normis

is there any chance Mikrotik can serious consider developing a video transcode app for the CCR ? If so, can you please provide any contact in your organization to discuss this ?

Regards
Antonio

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 31, 2019 6:14 pm

Going back to the memory upgrade question - be careful now and don't make the same mistake I did, there are no RAM slots in new revision, so no upgrade is possible without soldering.

In my country I'd have to wait 2 weeks for the EM version, of course I needed the unit asap so I bought the 4GB one and RAM, and what a surprise - onboard memory. Fortunately I have many CCRs and have use for this one too, so I only wasted the new ram and my time while changing routers.

guipoletto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:13 pm

How can i find out if i have a new(no slots) or an old(slotted) version? Specifically of the CCR1036-12G-2S+

@xt22

Do you have a picture of the new revision board open?

Florian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:18 pm

How can i find out if i have a new(no slots) or an old(slotted) version? Specifically of the CCR1036-12G-2S+

@xt22

Do you have a picture of the new revision board open?
I believe the "new" revision are the ones with 2 psu. The "old" model have only 1 psu (which at one point were dying right and left).

Elans
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:18 am

New ones comes with 2 PSU, that is true. To be sure whether you have r2 at the end of serial number, you can find it on device back side, there must be written SN/MF week/r2.

andrewsongca
just joined

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:58 pm

Hello. New to the forum here. I just ran into the same issue. No upgradable ram slots inside. With the r2 revisions, does the CCR1036-12G-4S-EM model still offer upgradable sodimm slots? If not, which comparable models have upgradable ram slots built in? This is frustrating... I can't find any of this information within the product description pages. I need to have this router fast, but now I will have to return this, and sit tight until I know which model to order.

Please help!

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:45 am

I'm using routeros as base os and running my applications over it. I have enabled the devel account in order to access to the shell, then installed a complete busybox (as the one which comes with routeros is very limited).

regards
Antonio
I've been looking off and on for a few weeks on how to do this but not really coming up with anything..

Was CVE-2018-14847 used to accomplish this? I can downgrade, that isn't an issue, but couldn't even guess without trying if root would survive upgrades..