Community discussions

MikroTik App

syntaxaire
just joined
Topic Author

What does "shared users" under "constraints" on the user details do?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi, I am working on setting session limits on our users. I found that setting "shared users" to 1 on routeros through ip/hotspot/user profiles does work to limit the active sessions. But my question is, what does the "Shared users" in the User Manager itself do? As far as I can tell it has no effect. Why is it there?

(I am talking about the "User details" dialog box that you get when you create a user or edit a user. The "Shared users" setting I am talking about is in there, under "Constraints".)

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: What does "shared users" under "constraints" on the user details do?

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Shared users = the number of times this same user account can connect simultaneously.

syntaxaire
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Unfortunately that is not the case. I tested it by setting it to "1" on an account but that account was still able to log in multiple times simultaneously. That is why I said the setting seems to have no effect. Does anyone actually know what it does?

bax
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:12 pm

pukita is say you right ... you also have shared user in hotspot profile ... check there also

syntaxaire
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:05 am

It seems I am having a difficult time getting my point across. Here is a screenshot.

Setting this to 1 still allows the user to log in 3 times simultaneously.

What does this setting do?

bax
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:38 pm

ok this is for userman setings . but how is hotspot setings ? in hotspot user profile

syntaxaire
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:49 pm

That is not what I am asking. My question is, what does this setting do, and is there any way to get it to limit number of users.

rcourtney
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:13 pm

As others have mentioned, check on each router the IP->Hotspot->User Profiles tab for Shared Users count.
My default profile has 2 for max users per user sign-in and is working correctly.

We allow the user to sign-in for their main computer and their phone only for basic service.
If they try more devices the log-in screen shows the "session limit reached" error.

A third device, such as a gaming console, costs more.

Also:
On the Radius Server->General tab, which service boxes are checked?
On the router do a terminal /ip hotspot active print. That will tell us if the user is profiled from the local user database or radius.

syntaxaire
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:43 pm

I currently have two profiles under IP->Hotspot->User Profiles, one with shared-users set to 1 and another with unlimited users. I have profiles set up in User Manager that have group-name set to take advantage of these. It would be more convenient for our admin to just edit the number of allowed users in the user details, which is why I'm asking the question.

Under the radius general tab, I have the "hotspot" box checked, and all active hotspot users are logged in by radius.

rcourtney
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:29 am

Is the unlimited users the one named "default"?
If so change it to limit max to test a theory please.

Sp12er
just joined

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 am

I need help in this topic also, how to add more instance/device per users? The shared user constraint doesn't work on mine, each user can only use 1 device at the time and that's a bit too limiting. I need to make it able to do 2 at least

kvee

Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:52 pm

I need help in this topic also, how to add more instance/device per users? The shared user constraint doesn't work on mine, each user can only use 1 device at the time and that's a bit too limiting. I need to make it able to do 2 at least
Reply to this topic maybe late but I hope it can be useful for the other who searched and found this.

I'm using RouterOS 6.49.x
I set IP > Hotspot > User Profiles to have at least one profile that shared with 2 sessions named profile-2-sessions.

In user manager, I create profile, limitation and set Group name to profile-2-sessions.
My users are able to login simultaneously maximum 2 sessions.

However, if I change Shared Users on user manager > profile or on user details for example to 4. Both are not working because the maximum still limited to 2 that was set in IP > Hotspot > User profiles.
The Shared users field seems to be useless or I'm using it wrong because I don't see anything about it in document here, or here.

So, to change sessions limit, do it in IP > Hotspot > User Profiles instead.