Community discussions

MikroTik App

Slavius
just joined
Topic Author

CHR on KVM - auto-negotiation fails

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:21 pm

We're running CHR on Apache Cloud Stack within KVM with virtio drivers (type "Other PV x64").

The problem is that auto-negotiation never completes and ethernet interfaces show unknown speed and duplex. We're also having some other speed issues and we suspect they are related.
CHR_KVM_VirtIO_Autonego.PNG
Placing a Linux (with recent kernel) or Windows host within the same network results in correct auto-negotiation.
Even Fortigate and Sophos virtual appliances have no problem.

Switching to non-paravirtualised drivers solves the problem but the emulated Intel PRO/1000 NIC is very slow and bogs the CHR down.

I was trying to find a debug log of ethernet interface auto-negotiation but nothing shows in RouterOS logs even with full debug on.

Disabling auto-negotiation is not recommended and may cause more problems (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... Properties)

Please help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gerakon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CHR on KVM - auto-negotiation fails

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:56 pm

I have the same problem with Auto negotiation on CHR 6.37 running on XenServer 6.5. I also have Synology DS212j NAS that is extremely slow (~500kb/sec). I have a second Synology DS212j NAS that seams to work fine. Both NAS's are connected to a CRS125 and then to the CHR through VLAN trunk. Both NAS's were up to date last time I tested about 2 months ago. CPU usage is low on CHR, CRS and NAS's. I haven't had much time to troubleshoot and probably won't for a bit, but it sounds very similar to your problem. I had disabled autonegotiation for a little while, but the results were the same.

Rushmore
just joined

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Same thing on Hyper-V 2012 R2 with synthetic network adapter: auto negotiation incomplete, speed and duplex unknown.

gerakon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:35 am

I'm not so sure that my speed issues have anything to do with RouterOS any more. I notice that there are alot of people that have had problems with slow speeds after updating to Synology DSM6.X. At this point, I'm thinking that the auto-negotiation failing is cosmetic at least for me. I was able to do a file transfer between Windows and Linux and got good speed.
Just updated the NAS to DSM6.0.2-8541 update 3 and results are still bad.

I will post here if I end up with any more details.

kujo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:00 am

License P1 only 1gb/s interface speed! Maybe you need p10!
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CHR#CHR_Licensing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLvRL
just joined

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:11 am

Hello!

I have same problem with my CHR.

For beggining:

CAUSE
I had 2 ports LAN and WAN;
BTEST to global BTEST servers looks like good, near 90 Mpbs(udp), but servers connected to mikrotik in LAN port, had download/upload speed like 10/15 Mbps(tcp).
I'd start BTEST once more, with TCP protocol, and i saw that speed near 10/15Mbps.

First time i check QoS and turn it off. No result.
Second time. Check routes,interfaces(auto negotiations, duplex mode etc) and servers. No result
I'd try to contact with Mikrotik support, but my issue could't be delaied.

RESOLUTION:
Go to Queues-->Interface Queues.
Check mode of all virtual interfaces. default: ""only-hardware-queue" changed this to "multi-queue-ethernet-default".

WARNING:: After this change, u can lost connection to router near 5-10 seconds, i dunno why.

thavinci

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:57 pm

Does anyone have feedback on this? What speed is the interface actually? (I obviously understand its still limited to what ever uplinks my vswitch and the ROS license itself.)
It would be a shame to have the highest license with dedicated 10gb into my vswitch and the virtio driver is ROS only operates at 1G?

I am getting rather hopeless as of late with the list of ROS issues. We have moved platforms now from physical MT devices, to CHR on esxi (esxi was to blame for some of the issues here), to x86 which had driver issues and now to KVM which also has issues?
Virtio.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kujo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:23 am

Hello

RESOLUTION:
Check mode of all virtual interfaces. default: ""only-hardware-queue" changed this to "multi-queue-ethernet-default".

WARNING:: After this change, u can lost connection to router near 5-10 seconds, i dunno why.
You need update CHR to latest stable 6.37.5, where resolved this bug!
*) chr - fixed problem when transmit speed was reduced by interface queues;

kujo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:23 am

Hello

RESOLUTION:

You need update CHR to latest stable 6.37.5, where resolved this bug!
*) chr - fixed problem when transmit speed was reduced by interface queues;

thavinci

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Just in-case anyone else is running CHR on KVM and has the same question in regards to negotiation speeds. Even though it never negotiates or gives you a speed it seems this is more of an astetic thing as i tested two CHR routers running in KVM with virtio both illustrating the exact same issues and the bandwidth test below reveals there is no impact by this:

(I had the same result for both directions TCP)
CHR_KVM.jpg

gerakon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 pm

I have seen the same issue on XenServer 6.5 and CHR 6.37.1, but didn't notice any performance issues either. I haven't checked since upgrading to 6.38.5.

0012nish

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Hello..
I'm having the same issue and despite not having a performance impact on the interface, There seems to be an issue with DHCP when running on a bridge.
When an interface is slave to a bridge it seems that it doesn't respond to DHCP client requests.
I cannot get an IP from DHCP when on bridge. When I put the dhcp server on the interface directly and disable the bridge then it works right away!

just joined

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:52 pm

I have the same issue With my CCR. Version 6.48
8vCPU *2299 MHz
500 Mbit traffic 80% CPU utilisation.
Did someone have any ideas?