Community discussions

MikroTik App

Artanis
just joined
Topic Author

SMB share shows only 128MB of free space

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:16 am

Long story short - some time ago I connected 8GB USB flash drive to my Mikrotik RB2011UiAS router, and made an SMB share out of it - just to use as simple and convenient NAS-like place in home network to exchange small files between devices. It has worked perfect up till now, but today I needed to copy a bit larger file to this SMB, and it turns out that Mikrotik only allows 128MB of 8GB shared USB to be used..?

Please see attached screenshots to better understand my complaint -
mikrotik smb problem 2.jpg
mikrotik smb problem 1.jpg
As 128MB is actually the storage size of this router's built-in memory, could there be some issue related to router mistakenly thinks that I'm trying to copy file to internal memory, instead of external USB drive?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: SMB share shows only 128MB of free space

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:29 am

The first window shows the router NAND size, not the disk size, so all is OK.
It seems you configured SMB on the built in NAND chip, not on the disk. Show us the SMB config

Here is my config with correct share directory added as disk1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Artanis
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi, Normi!

Thank you for your answer - you were right, I indeed accidentaly had configured router's internal NAND memory as my shared drive. I guess the fact that internal memory is called /usb1 confused me. I just changed the shared drive to /disk1 and everything works fine now. Well, the only thing that kind of bothers me a bit - while on internal memory file transfers started as soon as I drag the file over to network drive icon, now when I set the USB flash as shared drive, there is slight delay before the transfer starts (like some 6-10 seconds just frozen on "preparing for copy" dialog, before actual transfer begins). But the transfer speed rose from 2MB/sec to 6MB/sec, which is nice.

I understand that SMB is not core functionality of Mikrotik devices, but is it very time consuming and expensive to maybe try to design this shared drive feature bit more sophisticated (like higher speed USB host controller on routerboard, and so on)? You see - these days even the cheap consumer grade home and SOHO routers start to include shared drive functionality, and there are many small office and home users like me, who would appreciate this functionality, so for small backup/FTP needs we don't have to purchase dedicated NAS devices from companies like Synology and Western Digital, etc.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Some of our upcoming devices will have a higher speed bus and more options to connect drives.

aclarke
just joined

Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:27 am

I haven't succeeded with my new RB5009. No matter what size USB drive (16GB, 64GB, 500GB, 1TB) I have tried share on the Windows network via SMB, the drive size gets under-reported in both Windows and Linux and I can't copy files to it larger than that which the operating system reports. Below is my configuration for a 64GB Mushkin USB 3.0 flash drive. Notice how only 2.37 GB is usable:

mukky
just joined

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:05 pm

I haven't succeeded with my new x86 machine. I have 1 TB HDD but in windows explorer it's only detected 3.39 GB. I can't copy files to it larger than 3.39Gb, Below is my configuration for a 1TB HDD connected by SATA cable,
Does any body could give me suggestion ?. Thank you.

aclarke
just joined

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:09 pm

I tried copying a 3.9GB file from Linux Mint v20.2 to MikroTik's RB5009 shared USB drive, and like Windows 10, I got the same warning that insufficient drive space was available even though the 500GB USB drive had nothing on it. But unlike Windows 10, Linux gave me the option of copying the file anyway and I was able to do so with no problem:

Then I found this webpage which seemed to explain why this happens:

https://superuser.com/questions/1423396 ... ectly-bene

I sure wish MikroTik would correct this. I bought the RB5009 with the hope that the USB 3.0 port wouldn't have this problem but it evidently persists on many of their products.

mukky
just joined

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:06 am

I tried copying a 3.9GB file from Linux Mint v20.2 to MikroTik's RB5009 shared USB drive, and like Windows 10, I got the same warning that insufficient drive space was available even though the 500GB USB drive had nothing on it. But unlike Windows 10, Linux gave me the option of copying the file anyway and I was able to do so with no problem:

Then I found this webpage which seemed to explain why this happens:

https://superuser.com/questions/1423396 ... ectly-bene

I sure wish MikroTik would correct this. I bought the RB5009 with the hope that the USB 3.0 port wouldn't have this problem but it evidently persists on many of their products.
Same thing here dude,..
i bought the license for my pc x86 with hope the file sharing features working as formally mention by Mikrotik on this forum.
and yet we still have no comment from the Mikrotik side about this issue ?... no cares, really ?...

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:25 am

If you want comment from MikroTik, write to support. This is officially user forum, and while MikroTik employees do visit, they may not read everything. Some may think that it's just an excuse, but there really is a lot of stuff here.

aclarke
just joined

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:39 am

I contacted MikroTik directly on the above problem and was advised to install RouterOS 7.2beta22 which did nothing to fix the problem after which I received the following reply:

Date: 12-21-2021
Subject: MikroTik support #[SUP-67805]: 64GB USB drive share on RB5009 reports only 2.3GB free space

Hello,

Thank you for the report!

We look forward to fixing it on upcoming RouterOS versions, unfortunately, I cannot provide an ETA now.

Best regards,
Oskars K.