Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

stevep
just joined
Topic Author

Thinking about buying

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Hey, I am thinking about buying a Mikrotik Router.

I can see they offer massive functionality for a good price. But i want to be sure I will be able to set it up easily.

I guess I was a little put off because of a couple of reviews online saying they were not at all friendly to use.

I have many years experience in networking etc, but i did find the Cisco Router CLI hard to configure, well, when coupled with the Zone based Policy firewall, I was struggling to get my head around it.

How would you say RouterOS Compares?

I have around 50 users, and am considering some of the Cloud Core rack mount routers here.

Thanks if you can help.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Thinking about buying

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Well. For consideration only you can buy the cheapest device or install chr for free virtually. Read the manual and login to demo device before to get a bit more familiar with the configuration approach.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:46 pm

RouterOS may not be friendly to use for users who don't know much about networking, because it doesn't try too hard to prevent them from shooting their own foot, and that's what they often end up doing. But if you do know something about networking, it's great, because it gives you freedom to do things (almost) any way you want.

Start by downloading WinBox from this page, then use it to connect to demo.mt.lv or demo2.mt.lv (user admin, no password) and see if you like it. Next step is Cloud Hosted Router from same page, a disk for virtual machine with RouterOS that you can run yourself and experiment with anything you want.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

liviu2004
just joined

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 pm

I find Mikrotik and RouterOS great, sometimes I shoot my own foot, yes. I don't think I would like to search any other router at this point in life; remember, sometimes you will get some hits from it, however, there comes much support from Mikrotik and these people on the forum, that is impossible to get locked.
Did I tell you about changing capacitors? :D If I can do it, all can do it.

onlineuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:41 pm

First I used OpenWrt with iptables and my own scripts but Mikrotik is really good.
I think it is simple to configure a Mikrotik and this forum also helps you. :-)

RLithgo

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:36 am

I wouldn't say "not friendly" about MT, moreover, they have a huge learning curve compared to your typical consumer router.
A few weeks ago I was an MT novice but then i embarked on a project to replace my home router with an MT router supporting dual wan with automatic fail-over.
Now the router is fully configured and working like a dream.

I would absolutely recommend to purchase an MT router.
Best router I've ever used for sure.

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:39 am

Basic configuration is easy...just install Winbox. The default configuration will do fine. Port forwards are a bit more complicated, but there is tons of information available. And there (this) communityis more then willing to help.

My advise...just do it. I think if you only require a router the RB750G3 is great bang for the buck!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:51 am

I guess I was a little put off because of a couple of reviews online saying they were not at all friendly to use.
As you can see in the comments above, it depends on the viewpoint of the user.
When you just want to power it on, click 3 buttons and enter a field, then operate forever without worry, it is unfriendly.
(although the "Quickset" feature has attempted to add this functionality, it is not as usable on some other routers because
the MikroTik is inherently more versatile and thus it is more difficult to get a full config from some simple starting values)

However, when you know what you are doing and have some more advanced requirement than a simple home router
can provide, the MikroTik routers are great.

I would say you have more advantage knowing some Linux networking than knowing Cisco configuration.
People that have configured a plain Linux system to be used as a router/firewall have no problem configuring a MikroTik.