Community discussions

fish3128
just joined
Topic Author

Proper way for IPTV routing

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello,

I have recently bought a Mikrotik routerboard in order to configure rather unusual setup:
From the hallway to my living room I need to set 3 separate types of traffic via single ethernet cable - Internet, LAN and IPTV from Mikrotik router to another one (TP-LINK Archer C7 with DD-WRT firmware) - hope the picture in attachment might describe it more.
The idea is to use IPTV routing via IGMP proxy, but I am too lame with Mikrotik configuration. I've looked through some similar topics, but no luck, I can't even obtain IP address for STB. I've tried using Torch feature to find out VLAN id for IPTV, but it seems traffic from ISP is not VLAN tagged.

I need help with configuring Mikrotik for:
1. IPTV routing (IGMP proxy) from Eth1-WAN to IPTV STB
2. IP address for IPTV STB from different DHCP, based on STB MAC address (10.248.x.x)
3. internet access from LAN devices
4. only 1 LAN, NAT and firewall protected, private IP address range via own DHCP server
5. IGMP snooping for all LAN ports

I would be very glad if someone would direct me about proper configuration.

Thank you,
Ondra
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dskillin

Re: Proper way for IPTV routing

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:11 am

I used the lazy-man method to push IPTV around the house, I'm curious to watch this thread to see if there is a better way...

I have a CCR sitting on the public IP, providing my NAT, VLAN, and various services. Then I carved out a VLAN, TV-IN, provided DHCP, and tagged an access port on the switch and connected the WAN port of the providers router, the provider router is also connected to coax. I then carved out another VLAN, TV-OUT, tagged an access port on the switch and connected a LAN port from the providers router. On the TV-OUT side, I allow the providers router to handle DHCP, and set the VLAN up to have an address on that subnet.

I moved my laptop to the TV-OUT VLAN to configure a route in the providers router, pointing to the IP on the VLAN to allow management of the device from my management VLAN.

Moving forward, any port I tag with the TV-OUT VLAN will provide IPTV. Options are endless at that point, as I retain Pay-Per-View, Channel Linue-Ups, etc.

ebreyit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Proper way for IPTV routing

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Here's some info from https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Box ... -p/1137730

Although it's for a different set top box the principal is the same with other services.

I've used it successfully myself to connect IPTV STB's to ISP's Multicast services.

Additional info here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/index.php?tit ... edirect=no

I'm using a 750G, this should hopefully work for at least any device running RouterOS 6.x, I have the Openreach Huawei Infinity modem connected with cat5e to eth1 on the Mikrotik and the internet connection is then dialled with PPPoE over eth1.

Give your VouView box a static IP or reserve its DHCP address. I've isolated my YouView box, directly cabled it to the router's eth5 (I've removed switch group config) and put it on a different subnet etc, I don't think this step is necessary though so I won't go into detail. I felt better about my LAN security doing it though.

Go to the Mikrotik download page and get the all packages zip for your router, extract and install the multicast npk by dropping it into Files through Winbox and then restart the router. You should now find "IGMP Proxy" in the Routing section of Winbox, open that.

The IGMP traffic won't appear to come through the PPPoE interface instead it will be on the ethernet interface that is physically connected to the Openreach modem, in my case eth1. You'll need to assign an IP adress to this interface if you haven't already, making it anything in a private range but outside your LAN ranges, e.g. 10.20.30.1/24, only because RouterOS won't make use of the interface without an address assigned.

Add an interface in the IGMP-Proxy, select the interface the modem is on from the drop-down, in additional subnets enter 0.0.0.0/0 and finally tick the upstream option and save it. Then add another interface and select whatever interface your YouView is reachable on from the drop down, don't change any other settings and save it.

Enable Quick Leave in the settings of IGMP-Proxy, this allows IGMP devices to send a leave notice and stop a stream instantly so you don't get flooded with UDP traffic until group membership times out.

IGMP-Proxy allows devices on the LAN to send an IGMP membership request, it will be picked up by the router and forwarded on the configured upstream interface, IGMP messages to the group address will then be forwarded back to the device by the router according to the entries auto-generated in the MFC tab.

Your router needs to actually accept the IGMP traffic on the selected interfaces, it will be seen as addressed to the router so add a rule to the input chain in IP > Firewall > Filter Rules, enter igmp as the protocol, action as accept.

Then add a rule to both the input and forward chains, dst address is the multicast group that will receive the IPTV streams, protocol is UDP, in-interface is the upstream in IGMP-Proxy, action is accept.

You can discover the address of the multicast group from the MFC tab in IGMP-Proxy (an entry should appear if you attempt to tune an IPTV channel, 900 is good to test) or by adding a rule early in your forward or input chains with dst-address as 224.0.0.1/4, protocol UDP, in-interface as the upstream in IGMP-Proxy and action as add-dst-to-list with whatever list name you choose. I found all channels I tried to be in 234.81.130.0/24, I don't know if this differs or is the same for every BT customer.

Now go to your YouView box and tune to 900, if you've got the multicast group right it should work, picture should appear almost instantly and you should be able to see the traffic moving through the router.