Community discussions

MikroTik App

kevintitus81
Topic Author

Not seeing traffic in CAPsMAN, but APs are up and running

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Seeing some weird stuff here...

I have a RB2011, with eth2 uplinking to a CRS24 port switch. The switch is setup with all ports slaved to eth1 (default config). I have my cap fed from the switch.

I have a office-net bridge and a guestnet bridge, and have all of that up and running. Clients are connected and passing traffic.

My question is, why can't I see the traffic in the CAP interface? It's like there is zero traffic, yet I know this is not the case.

I ran a ping to a connected client, then torched the bridge, the cap, and the port feeding the cap on the crs switch, and can't see the ping...yet I get icmp replies.

Any ideas? I see fast path traffic on the master switch port.

kevintitus81
Topic Author

Re: Not seeing traffic in CAPsMAN, but APs are up and running

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 pm

I guess if I moved the cap over to a port on the rb2011 I would see the interface traffic, but since the pinging host and cap are on the same L2 bridge it's just forwarding direct. Strange thing is I don't see the icmp on the port feeding the cap, does capsman add some encapsulation?

kevintitus81
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:57 am

I was able to confirm this to be an issue (possibly with the latest 6.38.5 firmware) I checked another site that has an identical capsman config and router config, and I can see the interface traffic on the caps interface (the one that gets dynamically created when a cap comes online) yet for some reason can not see it on this customers setup.

Everything works though! I'd just like to be able to see how much traffic is going out a particular CAPs AP. Any ideas?

I wiped the device and started clean and have the same issue...

kevintitus81
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Ok I figured out my problem. The reason I wasn't seeing the traffic on the CAPS interface in CAPsMAN was the configuration Datapath setting for "local forwarding" was checked to be enabled. Reading more of the documentation, it appears if set to local forwarding the CAP radio itself would handle all of the traffic VS CAPsMAN handling the traffic. I unchecked this setting and I can now see my traffic in the graphs.

jwab
just joined

Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:11 am

Thanks for posting the solution. Very helpful.