Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

chuky0
Topic Author

can I configure wlan (wAP ac) through router (hEX)?

Thu May 04, 2017 8:09 am

Hi, my first topic to post in MT land. I've been doing alot of homework on the setup at my house which I've had since March. Everything is running great. I'm sure my config could be better, and am probably looking at it too much instead of leaving well enough alone.

I use winbox remotely to look at my setup as I am constantly wanting to tweak it, but don't know how to get to the wAPac from there. I'd like to configure it from the same winbox as I'm using for the hEX. That would be more convenient on the LAN as well. It would be neat if these MT's would automatically talk to each other, but then it wouldn't be as fun as telling them what to do.

Brief summary of my hardware setup is as follows:
cable modem set up as modem only mode (ISP offers ipv6 /64 btw), connected to ether1 on the hEX (hEX is used as the workhorse for firewall, dhcp server etc.)
LAN on ether-2master, (3,4,5 slaves)
ether 3 hooked up to my main PC via cat5e cable
ether5 hooked up to wAPac bridged with ether1. via poe/cat5e (wAPac is pretty much stripped down ie. no firewall etc., as it is used for wlan only)

For rOS, I tried and failed many times. I got frustrated enough that I wanted to return the items and go back to the dd-wrt world that I came from. I called the person I bought it from who agreed to teamview in and set me up...it took him less than 10 minutes to do a pretty basic config. I backed that shit up and haven't looked back since. I've learned enough to get ipv6 going, firewall rules, ip cloud, ntp etc,etc

Hoping for some easy answers...nothing is ever easy...
Last edited by chuky0 on Thu May 04, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: can I configure wlan (wAP ac) through router (hEX)?

Thu May 04, 2017 10:01 am

Hi, my first topic to post in MT land. I've been doing alot of homework on the setup at my house which I've had since March. Everything is running great. I'm sure my config could be better, and am probably looking at it too much instead of leaving well enough alone.

I use winbox remotely to look at my setup as I am constantly wanting to tweak it, but don't know how to get to the wAPac from there. I'd like to configure it from the same winbox as I'm using for the hEX. That would be more convenient on the LAN as well. It would be neat if these MT's would automatically talk to each other, but then it wouldn't be as fun as telling them what to do.

Brief summary of my hardware setup is as follows:
cable modem set up as modem only mode (ISP offers ipv6 /64 btw), connected to ether1 on the hEX (hEX is used as the workhorse for firewall, dhcp server etc.)
LAN on ether-2master, (3,4,5 slaves)
ether 3 hooked up to my main PC via cat5e cable
ether5 hooked up to wAPac bridged with ether1. via poe/cat5e (wAPac is pretty much stripped down ie. no firewall etc., as it is used for wlan only)

For rOS, I tried and failed many times. I got frustrated enough that I wanted to return the items and go back to the dd-wrt world that I came from. I called the person I bought it from who agreed to teamview in and set me up...it took him less than 10 minutes to do a pretty basic config. I backed that **it up and haven't looked back since. I've learned enough to get ipv6 going, firewall rules, ip cloud, ntp etc,etc

Hoping for some easy answers...nothing is ever easy...
what do you want to configure on wAPac from hex? if you want to config wlan, update etc. you can enable CAP on wAPac, on hex setup capsman. it will allay to manage wireles lan and updates on wAPac
MTCNA, MTCWE

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 04, 2017 10:16 am

Maybe you need to set a port forward (dst nat) to access the wap behind the hex from outer world.

chuky0
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks for your replies. Shadeofspirit, you got it, I want to have access to configure updates, see connected clients etc (from behind the router as jarda stated). I definitely tried setting wapac to cap only mode when I first got the hardware but had no success with that, I blame quickset...but know the real problem is PEBKAC. I learned how to factory reset from that anyway. I may try that as a side project sometime now that I'm a little more comfortable with MT, I'll create backups of course.

Jarda, I'm going to try that firewall port forward. I'm thinking I'd have to use the wapac MAC somehow, since its IP comes from DHCP.

chuky0
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 2:17 am

Heres my easy answer that I've found. I use winbox to access my router remotely, then I can use tools>telnet>mac-telnet into the wAPac. And from there I can do what I need to do, so far I did tool>mac-scan to see whats goin on. Good way to get real familiar with the CLI

Chouby
just joined

Fri May 05, 2017 3:41 am

you mean centralized administration?, if yes: yes it's capsman...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: can I configure wlan (wAP ac) through router (hEX)?  [SOLVED]

Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 am

Use the static dhcp assignment for the inner devices to fix their ip getting from dhcp server. Then port forwarding works reliably.

chuky0
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2017 9:55 pm

jarda thanks for this. it was a dst nat rule i needed. Was so happy when i got it working, took some trial and error though!. I made my inside devices static as suggested. Used this post titled Access "hidden" mikrotik device by Winbox as a guide from this link https://shop.duxtel.com.au/article_info ... icles_id=6 (minus the hotspot part) many times. Finally got it to work, I can connect to my wAPac by specifying port 8292 when connecting remotely using my home WAN address! It made me as happy as when I beat a boss !
Last edited by chuky0 on Sat May 27, 2017 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 09, 2017 12:51 am

... And it even hadn't hurt anyone. Congratulations.