Community discussions

MikroTik App

woodrock
Topic Author

Curious which country has the highest power limits for unlicensed 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi bands?

Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 am

I'm just curious which country, offhand, has the highest power limits (EIRP) for either 2.4GhZ or 5GHz unlicensed Wi-Fi bands?

Is it the USA?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Curious which country has the highest power limits for unlicensed 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi bands?

Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 am

"no country" or if you leave this window and go into the wireless advanced settings, you can switch to mode "superchannel" and overdrive the card until it burns, if you so please :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Curious which country has the highest power limits for unlicensed 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi bands?

Wed May 24, 2017 10:10 am

It is not usual to see mikrotik representative to advise a user how to burn a device... Are the sales figures falling down so they need to be boosted back by those who damaged their equipment?

Hahaha ...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 24, 2017 10:17 am

Jarda, I don't know how you missed this, but since RouterOS exists, it has been MikroTik ideology to allow the user to adjust whatever setting he wants. This causes many to say "RouterOS is very complicated", but in reality we just give you a lot of freedom.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 24, 2017 11:05 am

Is there a risk of burning the radio when you set it to the highest power setting the config allows?
(assuming a reasonably matched antenna is connected, of course)
If so, what would be the safe level?
As radio amateurs we are allowed to use much more power than unlicensed users (within our bands),
but of course we do not want to burn our hardware.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 24, 2017 11:25 am

Usually the "Default" setting runs at maximum set in EEPROM and the manual settings should be for lowering the values, not increasing.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 24, 2017 12:40 pm

So that EEPROM default is a hardware safe limit, not a regulation limit?
I have seen (if I remember well) that it sets power to 17dBm and the max settable is like 23 or 27 dBm, so
in that case 17dBm would be the safe limit for the hardware?
(this of course means the EIRP is still above the 30dBm unlicensed limit with many antennas)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 24, 2017 12:43 pm

So that EEPROM default is a hardware safe limit, not a regulation limit?
I have seen (if I remember well) that it sets power to 17dBm and the max settable is like 23 or 27 dBm, so
in that case 17dBm would be the safe limit for the hardware?
(this of course means the EIRP is still above the 30dBm unlicensed limit with many antennas)
EEPROM default is used when "no country" is set and tx-power is set to "default". When you use some country, the setting is lowered according to country limits. You also need to take into account the antenna gain setting. It lowers your TX power so that the total radiated (EIRP) power is within limits.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RE: Re: Curious which country has the highest power limits for unlicensed 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi bands?

Wed May 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Jarda, I don't know how you missed this, but since RouterOS exists, it has been MikroTik ideology to allow the user to adjust whatever setting he wants. This causes many to say "RouterOS is very complicated", but in reality we just give you a lot of freedom.
I surely haven't missed that, because it is the reason why I appreciate and defend the way of life with mikrotik. You know that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 24, 2017 2:33 pm

I know you know it.
This is the reason why the user can burn his card if he wants to :)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 pm

EEPROM default is used when "no country" is set and tx-power is set to "default". When you use some country, the setting is lowered according to country limits. You also need to take into account the antenna gain setting. It lowers your TX power so that the total radiated (EIRP) power is within limits.
I fully know about country regulations for unlicenced WiFi, but I was alerted by your "burn the routerboard" message..
As a licensed radio amateur, I can legally operate with 100W transmitter power in the 5.650 - 5.850 MHz band, which
is also covered by 5 GHz WiFi equipment (channel 130-170). EIRP is not even a parameter in that, so I can easily
make many kilowatts EIRP. (like any other licensed radio amateur)

What is interesting is not what the "country limit" is but what the safe limit for the devices is, and if this is lower than
the settable power. When I understand correctly, I should set "no country" and "default" and then see what the indicated
power is, and not go higher than that. Is that correct?

woodrock
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2017 6:37 am

This is the reason why the user can burn his card if he wants to :)
Rest assured, especially since this radio is currently hooked up as a Wi-Fi adapter card in a desktop PC only 40 feet from the SOHO router, that I have no intention of increasing the transmitter power limits!
- Basic newbie questions about setting up an RB411/R52n-M as a WiFi card in a desktop computer at home

Thank you normis for your answer, where I was unaware of the "no country" option, so I was just curious which country was the "best" country (for EIRP purposes).

How does this sound as a modified question, if someone (not me!) wants to increase the power output?

Q: What country and tx-power setting will give me maximum power output?
A: Set the country to "no country" & set the tx-power to "default" which will cause the radio to emit the maximum power allowed based on the EEPROM firmware settings.

Q: Will I get that maximum power with any particular country setting other than "no country"?
A: No. Any country setting other than "no country" will result in lower transmit power for two reasons:
a. There is no country that allows as much power output as does the "no country" and tx-power = default setting.
b. For any specific country, in order to keep total radiated EIRP within the specified country limits, your tx-power will be lowered based on your antenna gain settings.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 25, 2017 9:26 am

When I understand correctly, I should set "no country" and "default" and then see what the indicated
power is, and not go higher than that. Is that correct?
Correction to my incorrect post above. In the last few years, RouterOS will actually ignore any setting above the EEPROM safe limit, so with MikroTik made devices, you can't accidentally set power too high and damage them.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Correction to my incorrect post above. In the last few years, RouterOS will actually ignore any setting above the EEPROM safe limit, so with MikroTik made devices, you can't accidentally set power too high and damage them.
Thanks! I think I had seen already that the power does not increase above some figure but I had blamed that on saturation of the final amp.

woodrock
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2017 8:45 pm

...if you ... go into the wireless advanced settings, you can switch to mode "superchannel" and overdrive the card ...
I'm confused, so can you just clarify that this sentence above about going into "superchannel mode" is the setting you are referring to that a previous company (before Mikrotik?) allows to over ride the EEPROM safe transmit power limits but that Mikrotik never allowed?

solbergen
just joined

Mon May 29, 2017 5:43 pm

As a addition to this question i would like to add, that while no country set and superchannel makes it send at "max power", how can you know what actual power is being used?

Also how can i specifically get it to set an ap to work at frequency 5740 - and at 4W EIRP?

dwnldr

Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:03 am

Dear Friends, Mikrotik staff !
I would like to kindly ask you for assistance:

Im struggling with my hap ac3 since changed driver to "wifiwave2" ,however the apartment we live is really not big (80m2), divided only to two bigger rooms, didnt have any huge or massive obstacles (Ytong), and the WiFi frequencies are also not crowded (maybe 4 SSIDis visible).
Im actually maximum 10m from my router (bathroom), and my phone (iPhone) is repeatly, every couple of minutes connecting and disconnecting = switching between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Even if it sounds absolutely "as a joke", i think this is caused by lowered Transmit power of antennas in new driver. If i go closer to the router, everything works without problems. I have used the generic WiFi driver with "no country set" option, where the "power-distance" of WiFi was acceptable. But in wifiwave2 driver isnt option like this listed ! Since i have 1Gbps link speed from provider, the reached 450Mbps-500Mbps wifiwave2 speeds near router (compared to generic 250-320Mbps) makes really sense for me. But i cannot accept the upper mentioned status. I dont think this is config question. The configuration is sadly really very simple and basic, and it doesnt matter what im doing if the "power" isnt enough to cover this places/edges with specific "Slovakia" country settings.

Is here please any workaround, how to deal with this ?

Thank you very much !

Greetings

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:11 am

Please make a new topic, why are you asking in an existing topic?

dwnldr

Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:53 am

Thank you for your reply. It is actually same question with some updates. I wouldnt like to make forum flooded with same topics

Guntis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:00 am

The end device is performing the roaming decision, you could check the FT configuration on the wireless interfaces, perhaps that could make the switch between both interfaces more seamless.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:47 am

in my case i have to use superchannel to get +100mbs, otherwise ill be stuck at 20mbs

dwnldr

Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:03 am

@nichky - Thank you for you reply ! Exactly, this is what i would like to achieve, since with generic WiFi driver and "superchannel" settings was the connection lot better. But how can i achieve this kind of "signal strength" with wifiwave2 driver ? I gave a shot for FT (not all clients was compatible, iPad didnt connect to the network...), now im playing with Acces List, but the only working method is completely ban 5Ghz capable devices from 2.4Ghz network. Otherwise they are jumping between bands maybe every minute with a lag of cca 5seconds, if i go 10meters far from router...

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:18 am

Could you scan your environment for foreign WiFi networks?
Did you set channels manually or you have "auto" mode which "fights" with other APs for the best band?

Once on that forum there was VERY WISE statement:
"AP are as speakers of a HiFi set. If you turn the volume up to the highest value it does not mean that you can hear the better quality sound. Just louder.".

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:30 am

@dwnldr

i haven't tested wifiwave2 yet, so can't answer on that

what i can see here is, i'm using superchannel for the link PtP. (btw MT)

There is no poing to use superchannel for your home gadgets.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:44 am

Once on that forum there was VERY WISE statement:
"AP are as speakers of a HiFi set. If you turn the volume up to the highest value it does not mean that you can hear the better quality sound. Just louder.".
But that is not depicting the situation very well.
I would use: having your AP at high power is like using a megaphone to discuss with someone standing 100m from you.
They can hear what you say, but can you hear their response when they aren't using a megaphone as well?
That is why it works on a Point-to-Point link (when both sides set high power), but not when using an AP with standard clients that cannot use high power.
(well, you may increase download speed but upload speed will remain poor)

Also, there is the problem of an arms race. When one user increases power, the other users will have more interference and may be tempted to increase power too. After that, the advantage has mostly disappeared.

dwnldr

Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:05 pm

Thank you very much guys for your reply !

- both bands has fixed channels, so no auto option. It doesnt matter which channel i use, the roaming between 2.4 and 5ghz "works" as i described

- the environment is in my opinion not crowded, i can see 3-4 2.4ghz networks, and 1 Ghz network. Nothing more in my neighborhood

- however i find out, if i put the device in Acces List and restrict 2.4Ghz network, it hast strong and reliable WiFi in every single corner. But if i allow 2.4Ghz, it jumps back and forth as i described. If it hangs only on "good written" Acces List, im OK with that, but maybe i need some help which signal rates to use to make it work. But if i need to separately put all devices, it would be bit annoying. Since it sometimes changes etc...

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:24 pm

Also, there is the problem of an arms race. When one user increases power, the other users will have more interference and may be tempted to increase power too. After that, the advantage has mostly disappeared.
Thank you for saying what I didn't said just pointing that too much power of any device changes talking to SHOUTING. That is why in schools corridors it's always LOUD as each kid tends to be the best/loudest AP all the time :) :) :)

dwnldr

Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:55 pm

Dear Friends,

so i "locked" via Access List the 5Ghz capable devices to this band. On the mentioned "problematic places" is the signal around "-80", it means "two dots" on iPhone and cca 270mbps bandwith, what would be absolutely OK for me in this places (even if they are only max 7-8metres from router). Can you please help me, how to achieve, write exact Acces List (globally, without pointing to specific MAC address) to somehow lock the device to 5Ghz band till "-85" and switch to 2.4Ghz only if signal is weaker than this ? But if the 5Ghz signal becomes again at least "-85" strength then switch back ? Because this setup should then guarantee, that devices inside apartment would not switch to 2.4Ghz, only if i go outside (we have a small park here under our windows, and we can catch fair signal there also - of course on 2.4Ghz)

Maybe this setup could help me and also other users struggling with this type of issue.

Thank you very much for your assistance