Community discussions

MikroTik App

sb56637
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Simple queue for QoS: per connection or per device?

Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi,

I use a simple queue for QoS. I understood from the diagrams in the Mikrotik documentation that it should equally divide bandwidth per stream and per device. But that doesn't seem to be happening. It works OK to more or less equally distribute bandwidth between different devices. But on any given device it still allows a single application or monopolize the amount of bandwidth to that device. So if I have a large download (not using multiple connections) running on computer A, I can barely connect to any other internet services or even browse the web on that same machine as long as the download is running. Any tips?

Thanks a lot.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Simple queue for QoS: per connection or per device?

Mon May 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi,

I use a simple queue for QoS. I understood from the diagrams in the Mikrotik documentation that it should equally divide bandwidth per stream and per device. But that doesn't seem to be happening. It works OK to more or less equally distribute bandwidth between different devices. But on any given device it still allows a single application or monopolize the amount of bandwidth to that device. So if I have a large download (not using multiple connections) running on computer A, I can barely connect to any other internet services or even browse the web on that same machine as long as the download is running. Any tips?

Thanks a lot.

maybe can work for you:

make a similar simple queue like that but per stream and put the simple queue you already have (per device) as parent of this new simple queue

sb56637
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 29, 2017 10:42 pm

Hmm, could you give a bit more detail on how to set that up per stream? Thanks a lot.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 28, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi
Have you ever optimised your queues?

Thx

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2022 6:47 pm

2 ways to do some fair use of bandwidth between multiple devices

using pcq queue
/queue simple
add max-limit=100M/100M name=LAN-QUEUE target=192.168.0.0/24 queue=pcq-upload-default/pcq-download-default
using sfq queue
/queue simple
add max-limit=100M/100M name=LAN-QUEUE target=192.168.0.0/24 queue=wireless-default/wireless-default
with sfq you will have more a flow based bandwidth distribution than device distribution

with pcq you can have a flow based distribution when classifier use address and port by default uses only address with address classifier you will see device based distribution

always set max-limit at least 5% below your real bandwidth, in this way queue limit will act before your provider limit act queues only act when limit (congestion) is reached

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 28, 2022 11:23 pm

hey,
thx for the quick reply, haven't expected that :)

May I ask some quick questions (some might be silly but it got a bit late here ;) )
a flow based bandwidth distribution than device distribution
a flow is a connection? A device can own multipole flows, e.g. these three ones simultaneously: browsing, downloading and video call.
Could it even be multiple ones using the same port?
As you say:
with pcq you can have a flow based distribution when classifier use address and port by default uses only address with address classifier you will see device based distribution
that means PCQ - Queues - RouterOS - MikroTik Documentation:
PCQ parameters:
pcq-classifier (dst-address | dst-port | src-address | src-port; default: "") : selection of sub-stream identifiers
always set max-limit at least 5% below your real bandwidth, in this way queue limit will act before your provider limit act queues only act when limit (congestion) is reached
Do you mean the sum of all queues' bandwidth limits?