Community discussions

MikroTik App

TheRock123
just joined
Topic Author

Product Request: Coax SFP

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi all,
recently i had some trouble with my German ISP, that they are uncooperative when allowing changes in their modems they send with every contract for free.
I do have an contract with Unitymedia and they deliver their service (Internet & VoiP) with the coax wire used for TV as well. Until last summer in Germany the law told, that the ISPs responsibility end within the modem, this change recently to the wall socket and the modem can be chosen by the customer.
So i tried to get the router they gave me configured only as a modem (bridge-mode), but as there are very rare settings and the support is unhelpful. So this let me to the following Idea:
Is it possible to have an Coax SFP (physical adoption to the signal) and the DOCSIS 3.0 (only software ?) implementation done in RouterOS? I used some minutes of google and came to this:
http://www.microchip.com/design-centers ... over-coax2
This means, it seems to be possible. at least theoretically and only the coax adoption.
As i got Mikrotik known as a very great brand, with handy solutions I'd like to ask whether it would be possible to use a Mikrotik router as a cable modem as well. This would make a lot (private) people in Germany very happy, as currently only the AVM FritzBox is available as alternative to the (shitty) UPC Modems.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Product Request: Coax SFP

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:48 am

You're not going to see Mikrotik support DOCSIS directly in RouterOS. The best you can hope for is a DOCSIS modem in SFP form factor, which would be fairly doable if the SOC can be scaled down that far and still have the ability to transmit with enough power and be able to dissipate the heat generated. Given the size of the RF modulator/demodulator in modern cable modems, I don't think this is going to be happening any time soon, though.

I'm hoping for a MOCA standard SFP to be developed, but MOCA seems to be pretty sparse in the consumer hardware market - even though it's used a good bit by whole-home-dvr manufacturers in partnership with Dish TV.... but I think I'll never see a MOCA SFP for the same reasons why a DOCSIS SFP is also unlikely, plus the added bonus that MOCA is nowhere near DOCSIS in market penetration.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:59 am

Is anybody making such hardware?

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:41 am

MOCA SFP would be cool, often you have coax wires already installed in the buildings and being able to use them for gigabit LAN could save a lot of money, if price would be right.
The DISH adapters are super cheap, but only 100Mbit/s. But existing gigabit MOCA hardware is quite expensive, it's still a specialty...

As for the original question, don't expect DOCSIS modem from Mikrotik. Your best bet is to find some modem that can be used in bridge like you want it or at least in DMZ mode.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:57 am

MoCA is capable of 2.5 Gbps already.

I don't care who makes a DOCSIS SFP.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:00 am

As ZeroByte says, I think It will be hard to build in all that RF-stuff in a SFP form factor.

Some Cable ISPs only accept their own equipment as well.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:25 pm

I imagine that if they can make G.fast SFPs they might also succeed with DOCSIS.

In the US for example, the cable operators allow you to use your own modem. You could also use your own TV box.

swits1109
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:59 am

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:56 am

MoCA is strange, why not just replace the Coax with Cat6 or fiber? However, I can agree that it's quite impressive that they managed to squize that into a SFP module, but I'm sure it runs terribly hot.

I wish Cable ISPs provided two alternatives - one all-in-one-wifi-box for the consumers, and one more media-converter-like box.

swits1109
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:58 am

Because in a lot of buildings, such as hotels or apartments, replacing the cabling is not an option. The cost of removing the walls is the cost that you might as well spend on building an entirely new structure.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:07 pm

MoCA and DOCSIS are two different things. DOCSIS is what is used by cable ISPs to deliver internet to your home over existing cable TV wiring.
MoCA is for in-house use e.g. to bring internet to another floor over an existing Coax installed for TV. The ISP is not involved in that, just like they are not involved in usage of ethernet-over-powerline and similar alternatives to MoCA.

In the past we used MoCA over a coax run that would have been too long to use UTP. But it has since been replaced by fiber. It was a major job to install, and the MoCA solution worked surprisingly well. The only time it failed on us was when the powersupply (plug-pack) failed, as they usually do.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:31 am

Because in a lot of buildings, such as hotels or apartments, replacing the cabling is not an option. The cost of removing the walls is the cost that you might as well spend on building an entirely new structure.
Are they molded into the concrete? DOCSiS I can understand since it's buried into the ground and outside cabinets and so on.

I've seen many buildnings where old POTS and Coax holes/conduits was used to run Cat6 instead.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:47 am

In something like a hotel or apartment building, you might still need the coax for traditional TV, but you want to add ethernet.
In this case MoCA can be used, as it can transport a traditional VHF/UHF cable signal and add a 1Gbps ethernet link on top of that (on the same cable).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm

Are they molded into the concrete?
Yes, there are cases like this. E.g. my parents' house, I had to use MoCa adapters to deliver IPTV to the right spot. Works great as long as one removes any legacy crap (like splitters or outlets which feature RF filters) because those were made to pass frequencies up to 1GHz while MoCa goes up to (almost) 1.6GHz.