Community discussions

MikroTik App

csohns
just joined
Topic Author

mAP Lite won't netinstall - no BOOTP pkts

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm toying around with a single mAP Lite, it came with 6.36.4 and won't self-update due to lack of internal capacity. I'm experiencing challenges getting the device to PXE boot to upgrade. I have a known good config on my laptop, I netinstalled several devices earlier today, but this mAP Lite simply won't do it. Holding down the reset button while powering on, does make the LEDs do different things, contrast from simply powering the device on. Packet captures show the device never sends BOOTP packets, like my other MikroTik devices do. After holding down the reset button for around 15-20 seconds, the device begins asking for DHCP, exactly like it does when I don't touch the reset button.

I've been unsuccessful in locating other posts on the forums about my issue. I've already ordered a second mAP Lite, thinking perhaps mine is defective

Does anyone have suggestions?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: mAP Lite won't netinstall - no BOOTP pkts

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am

it came with 6.36.4 and won't self-update due to lack of internal capacity
The capacity is enough for self-upgrade, unless you uploaded or created some files. Connect to it, check the Files menu. You can delete anything you see there.
I'm experiencing challenges getting the device to PXE boot to upgrade.
Basically all you need to do, is connect the mAP lite directly to your laptop, hold the button, turn it on, and wait until the device shows up in the Netinstall tool. Make sure you launch Netinstall with Administrative privileges, and your firewall/antivirus is off. Launch it before you power on the mAP.

csohns
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:49 am

Thank you for the reply normis. Through enough reading, I did discover two weeks ago that upgrades now occur in memory. I updated it to 6.40.3, but was never able to pop it into Netinstall mode. I held that button for more than 2 minutes. I have other MikroTik devices that will Netinstall without issue, but this mAP lite simply won't. Holding the button does delay the normal boot process, but it never asks for PXE boot the other devices to. I have a second mAP lite on order, perhaps that one will work.

csohns
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:01 am

The replacement arrived and Netinstalls as expected. Re-testing the older one exhibits the same issue, no PXE. Rouderboard boot settings looks correct, bootp is set. I'm going to presume this one device is simply broken, as far as PXE is involved.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:50 am

I have the same issue with a mAP Lite...
Successfully netinstalled mAP 2nD, hAP ac2 and wAP-R - can not make this single device enter netinstall mode.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 am

Same. I'm guessing the ethernet port is bust on mine since factory reset and wifi still works. Ethernet does not.

Managed to configure it using wifi only (challenging !!) as road warrior vpn device. Not touching the config on that thing anymore apart from Routeros upgrades to test and adding Wifi ssids to the connect list.
I have another mAP lite which I could netinstall (not sure anymore if I did... will test again this weekend)

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:30 am

My ethernet port works for usual operation, just netinstall is non-functional.
Wanted to upgrade to RouterOS 7.1rc5, but it reports "not enough space for upgrade", thus wanted to netinstall.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:00 pm

My ethernet port works for usual operation, just netinstall is non-functional.
Wanted to upgrade to RouterOS 7.1rc5, but it reports "not enough space for upgrade", thus wanted to netinstall.
Odd.
Even with a bust eth port I was able to perform the upgrade to 7.1rc3, 4 and 5 over WiFi.
Sure you have enough space ?

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 pm

Obviously I do not. 😆
Currently I do have split packages installed on the device, possibly that is part of the issue? But even uninstalling some packages does not help, had more than 4MB free on storage. Well, that's another issue.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:22 pm

I have another mAP lite which I could netinstall (not sure anymore if I did... will test again this weekend)
Finished some testing using mAP and mAP Lite, monitored the interface with Wireshark.
With mAP I saw BOOTP packets being send over the ethernet interface. Netinstall however was not picking them up so the device did not show up. Could be something else since I know netinstall can be finicky.
With mAP Lite I DID NOT see those BOOTP packets.
Strange ...