MikroTik App

eichpa91
just joined
Topic Author

wAP LTE kit in "Bridge-Mode"

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Hello.

I have the following two devices:

(A) MikroTik wAP LTE kit (with LTE interface) -> one static IP from Provider automatic on LTE Interface -> just should be a modem with "bridge-mode"
(B) MikroTik CCR (with NAT, IPSec, ...) -> should be the whole gateway

(A) + (B) are connected over ethernet, each on ETHER1

(B) should get the public IP on ETHER1, so (A) needs a "bridge-mode" and output the public IP on it's ETHER1.

Are there working solutions out there that (B) gets on ETHER1 the public IP, without setting up a NAT on (A)???

Thanks!

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: wAP LTE kit in "Bridge-Mode"

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 am

it is possible do using the passthrough option:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... assthrough

matiaszon

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Why it is not possible when using RB951G with Huawei E3372 modem?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 am

We tested and it worked - the passthrough client got the 192.168.8.100 IP address.

matiaszon

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:05 pm

We tested and it worked - the passthrough client got the 192.168.8.100 IP address.
uldis, don't you think it doesn't make sense? What is the reason to put another MikroTik device in the middle? It is better to attach LTE to the router/gateway and control the network there. The result in both cases is the same - double NAT. To get the IP privded by ISP, you need to have a modem without NAT (no HiLink in this case), right? So it is unlike Dovado routers. On the other haned, if I change the firmware on E3372 to make it as a regular modem (no NAT), I will have to set up PPP client, which will actually limit my LTE bandwidth to 20-25 Mbps. Correct me if I'm wrong...

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm

This IP address NOT is passthrough from ISP...got IP configuration from the modem
I have 500 Huawei E3372 Hilink installed in buses hotspot and confirm this.

Or maybe my concept of passthroug is different from the concept of mikrotik.
[]´s

Setneuf

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:10 am

This IP address NOT is passthrough from ISP...got IP configuration from the modem

[]´s
The LTE modem's network is being passthrough/bridged to the selected interface, and that is what's suposed to happen.

If I understand, what you want is some sort of bridge mode (like we use in adsl) from the huawei to the mtik so you could use ppp to amke the connection and have the public IP in the mtik, allowing access from the outside, am i right?

matiaszon

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:21 am

[]´s
The LTE modem's network is being passthrough/bridged to the selected interface, and that is what's suposed to happen.

If I understand, what you want is some sort of bridge mode (like we use in adsl) from the huawei to the mtik so you could use ppp to amke the connection and have the public IP in the mtik, allowing access from the outside, am i right?
Yes, you are right. If you have a chance to use dovado router, this is what it exactly do.

The way MikroTik "passes through" now, doesn't make sense (from my point of view of course), because:
1) if the modem has NAT, it will pass only the private IP from modem; what do I need that for? I can easily have the same IP directly on MikroTik without passing through, and manage the traffic on it. Of course, it will be double NATed;
2) if the modem is without any NAT, you have to configure PPP connection, which will limit your LTE to 25 Mbps; however, it still doesn't make sense, because once you do it, you will already have public IP directly on PPP interface.

Setneuf

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:47 am

But that is for sure a limitation from the usb modem, not the mtik, if you can configure the usb to work as a bridge (that I doubt it in LTE modems) the passthrough will let you configure the ppp-client in the mtik itself (having the 25mb top)..

matiaszon

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:51 pm

But that is for sure a limitation from the usb modem, not the mtik, if you can configure the usb to work as a bridge (that I doubt it in LTE modems) the passthrough will let you configure the ppp-client in the mtik itself (having the 25mb top)..
Sorry, but what exactly you mean it is a limitation from the usb modem? PPP-connection created on MikroTik? There was a lot about it and as I understand it is a protocol limitation. You just can't use the whole LTE/4G bandwidth using ppp-connection.

Setneuf

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Sorry, but what exactly you mean it is a limitation from the usb modem? PPP-connection created on MikroTik? There was a lot about it and as I understand it is a protocol limitation. You just can't use the whole LTE/4G bandwidth using ppp-connection.
I was talking about the usb modem not have de possibility to bypass/bridge the public IP to the mikrotik as we do in xDSL.

matiaszon

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:41 pm

I was talking about the usb modem not have de possibility to bypass/bridge the public IP to the mikrotik as we do in xDSL.
And I was already telling, that this modem bypass/bridge the public IP when used with dovado router. So it definitely can.

AkaZLOY
just joined

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Will it work with Cisco and SXT LTE kit?

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:17 pm

Because the Huawei modems "suck".. I tried to get this to work originally with the E3372 USB modems too.. They don't have the advanced configurations to make this work (there are some AT commands, the mode needed doesn't exist), and I talked to Huawei engineers about it..

IMO, the best option, and the only thing I do now is get Sierra Wireless/Netgear modems.. Zero issues.. lol

For the OP, what is the purpose of router A?