MikroTik App

kitter
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP client - wlan as WAN not getting address

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:07 am

Hello,

My Mikrotik device: RB952Ui-5ac2nD
My network: (everything IPv4) DOCSIS modem -> Router (Ovislink IP-1000R) -> Ethernet connected computers AND 2.4Ghz wireless AP in bridge mode (Netis WF2419E)(Eth cable in LAN1 port)
My scenario: For my friend living floor under me, I want to create isolated network on Mikrotik (so his and my computers don't impliticly talk to each other - separated network segments) and use Wifi as WAN to make Internet available in that isolated network. (For testing and configuring, I have Mikrotik in my flat, about 2 meters from my Netis AP)

What I have done: Got Mikrotik in my hand, have it reset to factory setting, and without any initial config; connecting with Winbox through MAC. Then I set up security profile with correct password, set up wlan0 interface with correct network SSID. In status tab, I can see the wireless connection successfully established.

My problem: Next, I added dhcp-client for interface wlan0. But, it never gets the IP address. If I assign an IP address to interface wlan0 manually, everything works, I am able to ping my Ovislink Router and when I set up the default route, I can ping Internet as well. But I don't want to use fixed IP address here for obvious reasons.

The Netis Wifi network works correctly-flawlessly with (my) laptops or android phones, they all get IP address from DHCP server on Ovislink as soon as they connect. When I run Wireshark on my laptop (connected with Eth cable into Ovislink) I can actually see Mikrotik requesting for an IP address and I can see Ovislink replying and offering some IP address. But it seems to me the DHCP Offer isn't delivered to Mikrotik (or it doesn't accept it, I don't know).
When I set up the Mikrotik to connect to my other neighbour's Wifi network, it works - it gets the IP address instantly. The neighbour has DOCSIS wifi router (all in one).

I've tried many things including setting up various wireless modes (station, station bridge, etc.), but nothing makes any difference. I believe the problem is DHCP server not being on Wifi AP device. BUT it works for all devices like this besides Mikrotik. That is why I wouldn't like to change any DHCP settings or run the DHCP server on Netis AP.

I will appreciate any help.
Nice Christmas ;-)

haik01

Re: DHCP client - wlan as WAN not getting address

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:13 pm

What version of Router OS are you running? Is the wlan0 in bridge or not? If it is in bridge, set the DHCP client on the bridge. And another (not so professional advice): Try Quickset. Usually it works flawlessly. Of course, later you can tweak whatever you need, but for the start, you can use Quickset.

kitter
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello, I would like to revive this thread as I need Wifi for our holiday cottage.
What version of Router OS are you running? (...) set the DHCP client on the bridge. (...) Try Quickset.
Version is upgraded just today, 6.41.3. Unfortunately, nothing of this helps. I tried to make the bridge and I tried Quickset too, but I still don't get an IP address from the router. (I do default settings reset after each try)

From packet sniffer on Mikrotik and Wireshark on my wire-connected PC I can see - on PC I see DHCP requests from mikrotik and DHCP replies from router. On Mikrotik, I see DHCP requests (only).

I tried to tweak other options like ARP and so on, but nothing helps. Anyone some advise please?
Windows laptops and Android phones do not have any problems with this Wifi.
Thanks.

yhfung
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:12 am

I have done this exercise without any problems encountered. In order to get the IP address from the remote AP, you have to do the following tasks:

1. Detach wlan1 (if you want it to be your wireless WAN) from the bridge
2. Click wlan1 and scan the remote AP that you want
3. Select the remote AP that you want. If note that you have to set the correct profile with the password of the remote AP.
4. Once the wireless lan (wlan1) is connected and then you have to set up a DHCP client from that interface.
5. If the above steps are done correctly, you are able to see that wlan1 is able to get IP address from the remote AP's DHCP server.

In order to get access to the Internet via the wlan1 WAN, you have to do some more steps such as masquerade NAT.

I hope that above steps can help you.

YH

kitter
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 am

you have to do the following tasks:
Yes, I have done that, but no luck. When I assign IP address manually (and default route and DNS), I can ping Internet, but I better don't want to use manual IP.
I think the problem is that the Netis Wifi AP it is connecting to acts as a (L2) bridge between existing network with main Ovislink Internet router (where is the DHCP) - and Mikro doesn't accept DHCP UDP traffic from the network.

When I set up Wifi hotspot on my LTE Phone and let Mikrotik connect to it, it works (IP address is get from DHCP and so on...).

biatche
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 pm

I too am facing this same issue, its really annoying.