Community discussions

MikroTik App

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

[BUG] Images and icons disapearing

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm

Since i migrated from old 3.6 to newer dude version 6.x every week my custom images (.png) and backgrounds disapper from nothing once in a while. This is clearly a bug that appeared on the new 6.x codebase. Anyone else has the same problem ? Mikrotik help us please !

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: [BUG] Images and icons disapearing

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello, benjamimgois!

As you already discussed on the forum some people may experience similar issue.

May you please provide more details how it may be reproduced? For example:
1. Install Dude server 6.41 x86.
2. Upload image to the ROS and place it into the folder 'xxx'.
3. Create a map and select uploaded image as a background.
4. Wait one week and login again into Dude - background image disappeared from the map and 'xxx' folder.

Thank you!

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:51 am

Hello. We have the same problem.
We run dude 6.40.5 on rb1100AHx4 dude edition and after 1day runnning dude is backround image lost.
Only the start page lost him. Other Nested maps still have the image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eriitguy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 am

Hello, honzam!

May you show what is shown inside Map settings after disappearance?

Thank you!

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Hello, honzam! May you show what is shown inside Map settings after disappearance?
You have the same problem? Backround = none
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eriitguy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 am

horzam, no. We don't have similar issue - we use Dude on CHR without data lost.
Hello, honzam! May you show what is shown inside Map settings after disappearance?
I just want to identify the issue more precise in order to address it to support.
In the topic Dude lost data, are described similar issue with Dude on x86 platform. But some of the users reports that image disappeared from storage too.
Do you use existing or your custom (uploaded to the ROS) image?

Thank you!

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 pm

I just want to identify the issue more precise in order to address it to support.
In the topic Dude lost data, are described similar issue with Dude on x86 platform. But some of the users reports that image disappeared from storage too.

Thank you!

That´s exactly what´s happening here, the image disapeared from the storage. On the item properties, the image field display a "none" sign as in the image attached.

Hello, benjamimgois!

As you already discussed on the forum some people may experience similar issue.

May you please provide more details how it may be reproduced? For example:
1. Install Dude server 6.41 x86.
2. Upload image to the ROS and place it into the folder 'xxx'.
3. Create a map and select uploaded image as a background.
4. Wait one week and login again into Dude - background image disappeared from the map and 'xxx' folder.

Thank you!
Sorry for not describe it correctly slech. You describe it almost perfectly, i´ll make only one observation, the image can be used as background or as an object icon. Another interesting point is that not every image vanishes, a few ones reside.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I have custom image. Image was saved on SSD disk (rb1100AHx4 dude edition). When the image disappears from the background, it will disappear from files :-(

eriitguy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:43 am

Hello benjamimgois, horzam!

I just tried to reproduce the issue but currently it is not reproducible:
1. Download ROS 6.41 x86 - https://mikrotik.com/download
2. Install it inside VirtualBox - Linux, Other Linux (64-bit), VDI - 128 MB, dude package is selected in process of installation - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CD_Install
3. Enable dude in 'dude' directory.
4. Copy 2 PNG files to the ROS via Winbox to the 'dude/files' directory - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude_v6/Files
5. Assign a custom image to the map - Local.
6. Add a device - ROS.
7. Assign a custom image to ROS device type.
8. Reboot ROS x86 with running Dude server.

After reboot all remain untouched: map background, ROS device image, images on the 'dude/files' folder.

Thank you!

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Hello benjamimgois, horzam!

I just tried to reproduce the issue but currently it is not reproducible:
1. Download ROS 6.41 x86 - https://mikrotik.com/download
2. Install it inside VirtualBox - Linux, Other Linux (64-bit), VDI - 128 MB, dude package is selected in process of installation - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CD_Install
3. Enable dude in 'dude' directory.
4. Copy 2 PNG files to the ROS via Winbox to the 'dude/files' directory - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude_v6/Files
5. Assign a custom image to the map - Local.
6. Add a device - ROS.
7. Assign a custom image to ROS device type.
8. Reboot ROS x86 with running Dude server.

After reboot all remain untouched: map background, ROS device image, images on the 'dude/files' folder.

Thank you!

Hi eriitguy,

The problem apeers after a week of continuous use.

eriitguy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 pm

benjamimgois, thank you for refinement!

May you please specify your custom files location?

Thank you!

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm

benjamimgois, thank you for refinement!

May you please specify your custom files location?

Thank you!
Sure, they all stored at "/dude/files/" folder, take a look at the image below. The default *.svg files are also stored the same folder and they are not affected.

eriitguy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:25 pm

benjamimgois, in my case custom files also stored in the 'dude/files' directory - but default images stored in different one:
Dude-v6-ROS-x86-Dude-custom-images-location.png
As described in the Wiki:
2. File that were previously generated by server like default mibs/images/etc on first server startup are now shown in "(data-path)/files/default" directory as symlinks and are usable in read-only mode. In order to avoid deletion or corruption of these default resources.

Thank you!

Ciambot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 am

Any news? Images disappear every days!
Does dude's development stop again?

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Any news? Images disappear every days!
Does dude's development stop again?
Same here.... it seems mikrotik stopped developing it again.

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Guys,
I think I solved it in the past:
Make sure the user you use for Dude access has FTP rights (the group the user belongs to)!
You don't need the FTP protocol to be enabled (in IP services), but still seems like this policy is needed for the user to read the files from MikroTik filesystem - so your Dude can show the images, maps, etc.

edit: Just confirmed (in 6.42.3).
In /ip service - ftp is disabled all the time, this is OK.
In /user group - dude has ftp disabled in Policy => maps and images are not accessible from Dude Windows client, dude has ftp enabled in Policy list => maps/images are back :).

benjamimgois - please, check if it solves it for you :).

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Guys,
Make sure the user you use for Dude access has FTP rights (the group the user belongs to)!
You don't need the FTP protocol to be enabled (in IP services), but still seems like this policy is needed for the user to read the files from MikroTik filesystem - so your Dude can show the images, maps, etc.

In /user group - dude has ftp disabled in Policy => maps and images are not accessible from Dude Windows client, dude has ftp enabled in Policy list => maps/images are back :).

Dasiu,

I don't think this is the problem, all my users have ftp access... i stopped update dude and routeros in 6.41.3 since there's no dude updates.

andreiroos
just joined

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:13 pm

I have exactly the same issue with my RB1100AHx4 Dude edition switch. I load the image files as on the SSD as the examples above, then on the map I change the icon via the picture drop down, and it is changed as expected (any other place that I load the images I can not use them as pictures in Dude). I can restart the switch and all is in order, I can run the switch for anything from 1 day to about a week or so with no issues, then one day just suddenly the files that was used on the map as images is deleted on the drive and those images are reset to none, but the unused files are still there on the SSD. If I choose one of them as the new icon the same happens width the exact result.

I have also noticed another issue that if I copy files into the SSD drive, it stops displaying more that about 300 files in windows, if I check on the switch via winbox the files are there. As I delete files on the windows machine, it just populates the files still on the drive but just show about 300 files until there is less than that then it will display all files with no issue. I have upgraded the router firmware as well as ROS and is now on the latest release, and this issues still accrues. On my VPC ROS have no issues like this in any way.

Ciambot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Guys,

My user belong to group "full" (ftp is enable)...

Ciambot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:48 am

Any chance to see it resolved? :)

dpwii
just joined

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Same thing is happening here.

I was running the old Beta version from 2010 on a windows box without any real issues.
I decided to update things by using to a RB1100AHx4 Dude edition for the new server.
The transition went just fine, but now I have the disappearing Image problem mentions here by others.
I am currently running version 6.43.12

If anyone figures this out I would like to know what the fix is.

I wish I had never upgraded, AKA if it aint broke, don't fix it.

It looks like Mikrotik has abandoned the Dude again. It would be nice to hear from them to let us know where it stands in the scheme of things.

robertoprovenet
just joined

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:48 am

Dear,

Any news on this problem?

floaty

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm

adding ftp-rights to the user-group solved the issue for me - just like dasiu wrote

dude-read.PNG

raytaylor
just joined

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:17 pm

Bumping as there still doesnt seem to be a fix.

andreiroos
just joined

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:09 pm

Well, This have been going on for years now, I have previously also complained about the exact same issue. Copy icons under dude/images folder, it display on dude and randomly just disappear. Sometimes a few days, and sometimes after a month or more. When you right click icon and choose appearance, go to image tab, then it will just be on none. search for the icon on the drop-down box, its gone. Search for the file on the images folder, file just gone. Re copy the file back to the folder, then set icon again, it will work again for a day, week, month or so. I have tried different file formats, resize the icons, rename to short filename, you name it, the problem just keep on creeping back. This has been going since V6, up to today (July 2020). Looks as if dude, ROSv6 and ROSv7 have the same issues with development. Lots of features requested, that is mostly present with contending devices, and still lacking today, years and years of development resulting in only baby steps for a product that is widely used around the world.

I have also tried different products with the dude, x86, RB1100x4 Dude edition, RB-M33, CCR1036 router, all with the exact same issue as above. Including adding FTP. Nothing changes for me.

andreiroos
just joined

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:49 am

Response from mikrotik:

Hello,
Sorry for late answer.
Thank you very much for this report. We are aware of this problem and will take a look when we will get back to an active Dude development, currently it's delayed because of other priorities.
Best regards,
Elans Lācis

mitzone

Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:28 am

EXACT same issue on 6.47.4.

mph1
just joined

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:50 am

Same with current stable 6.47.7 (not surprising). My images disappeared today - 6 days after uploading them to MikroTik/Dude.
BUT - some are still here (3 of 50). So there may be some special conditions for manipulating the images.

It is really frustrating, if you spent hours creating, uploading and setting tens of pictures for your network monitoring, and they just went away.
I am using the full access user only (home network), so "ftp permission advice" is completely out.

Seems the MikroTik is doing at some moment a system cleaning or maybe purging "obsolete" files (I noticed e.g. freeing some RAM overnight), and the user/Dude images are the victims.
I've restored my images and changed the file permissions to read only. Maybe I will try some file-time manipulations and will look what will happen. My hopes are not very high.

Please give some effort to this issue, because such "feature" makes people really unhappy with - in other aspects - such a great device.

Thank you

mitzone

Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:36 am

Frustrating isn't it? I think The Dude is dead (again) from Mikrotik's perspective.

mph1
just joined

Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:49 am

Hello,

I've prepared a workaround for this issue, may be it will help (and maybe not).
Manipulating file permissions or file-timestamps is not working. These are not changeable.
So I decided to keep the files live via repeat copy the images to the Dude every day again and again using FTP/fetch, script and scheduler.

Here's my howto:
  1. create a source folder for dude images on your MikroTik SD card outside the /dude-data folder
  2. go System->User and create a new user group "ftpcopy" with at least local,ftp,read,write permissions, then create a new user "ftpcopy" within the group "ftpcopy"
  3. if not enabled, enable ftp on your router (IP->Services->ftp). You can make the ftp "Available from" your local network only to be more secure
  4. now it's time to try our fetch command:
    1. upload one image e.g. "_copytest.gif" to your source folder "disk1/custom-images"
    2. open "New Terminal" and type/copy your modified command:
    • /tool fetch address=<IP_OF_YOUR_MIKROTIK> user=ftpcopy password=<ftpcopy_USER_PASSWORD> src-path=disk1/custom-images/_copytest.gif mode=ftp keep-result=yes dst-path=disk1/dude-data/files/_copytest.gif
    • press Enter, see the progress and check the "disk1/dude-data/files" for the new image. If it's not here, then check twice the steps above and try again, then continue
  5. copy all your Dude images into the "disk1/custom-images"
  6. create a copy script:
    1. create a text file "copyscript.txt" on your computer and copy/paste/modify the "fetch command" for every file of your Dude images, one line per image for all of your images
    2. it may be helpful to output the dir or ls command to a text file and use your favorite text editor (e.g. "PS Pad") to modify it easily
    3. go "System->Scripts" and create a new script named "dude_copy_images" with at least ftp,read,write,test policies
    4. copy the whole content of your copyscript.txt file into the "Source" field of the script
    5. check twice, click "Apply" and then "Run Script". You can see the progress in system log. When the script finishes, check "disk1/dude-data/files". All your images should be here with current date and time, Copying of one image may take about 1 sec, so time will be set according this. If there's any error, check twice steps above and retry
  7. finally we need to setup our scheduler to refresh our images every day:
    • open "System->Scheduler" and create new scheduler task "+", name it at your will
    • set start date (tomorrow), start time (04:00:00), interval (1d 00:00:00), policies ftp,read,write,test and "On Event" fill in the copy script name "dude_copy_images', click "OK"
    • for testing purposes you may set the current date and the time just minute or two after current time and wait for script run. You may check the progress in system log and the image files in Dude folder. All the image files should have the timestamp modified. Modify the scheduler task back to desired start date and time, click "OK"
  8. Do not forget to make necessary steps for all your newly added Dude images (copy image to source folder, add the fetch line to your copy script, try "Run Script" and check result)

For me it is working for a week now, my custom Dude images are still here. Hope it will work forever.