Full disclosure; moving from Meraki AP's to what I have already realized is a far superior product - though im still new to this and ask for patience with some of my questions. This is a home installation which I am hoping to build upon over time.
My desired end state;
- 2 Managed AP's (already have purchased 2 hAP ac lite tower's). Home is quite long with both 2.4 & 5Ghz networks required to run home automation devices on the legacy frequency. Ethernet available through the home and the AP's are cabled onto the LAN.
- tbc device to extend my LAN to a home 60m away (2 homes over) to share network services across (NAS access, potentially internet access). Wireless Wire looks good but open to alternate suggestions
- Eventually swap current 'dumb' 24 port switch to a Mikrotik switch for greater monitoring and control
Questions/clarifications I would love to get assistance with;
- If I want to manage all configurations through a single RouterOS instance, say via a VM (available on the network), do I need to purchase an L6 licence to have full capabilities (SSID & wireless management included)?
- I want (NEED) to have a single SSID across all APs; I assume CAPsMAN is the way to go to achieve this or is there an alternative?
- Are there any alternatives available to the wireless wire to achieve sharing the between 2 homes wireless-ly? Line of sight is available and I have cabling running at both ends to where the termination points will be installed. Assume a simple switch will be plugged in at the other end and DHCP will be managed by the 'source' network.
Thank you all in advance