Community discussions

MikroTik App

upower3
Topic Author

System -> Auto Upgrade howto?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Curious in System -> Auto Upgrade feature, but can not see any docs for it. On https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:System there is no 'Auto Upgrade' link, nor any docs is searchable by Google. What I can find is scripts on cron to do /system package update install , which is now what I would like to do.

I try to deploy my own update system so I can keep all of my internal ROS devices (yes, within my own LAN, with no internet access) from the central router, to the same version (not the recent one, most of the time). Looks like the feature of Auto Upgrade is made exactly for this, isn't it?

I can recall one day I was able to find docs on it (but not now), so maybe someone can tell me how to have it worked?

Thank you in advance!

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: System -> Auto Upgrade howto?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:01 pm

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:U ... g_RouterOS
Have a look at “Older Option:”.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Upgradin ... _with_Dude
To me this would be the better option. You can also monitor your network using The Dude.

beeyev
just joined

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:02 am

I do not recommend 100% automatically upgrade with new firmware.
There have over the last years been bug or changes in the firmware that has broken some stuff.
Make sure you could delay it until you are 100% sure it does not brakes your device(s).

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:47 pm

Here you see a good example on how wrong it can go on auto upgrade:
viewtopic.php?t=184318

7.1.5 was just releases some hour after 7.1.4 that did delete the routing table when upgrade.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:12 am

actually that's not correct, Jotne. this bug was there before, we just forgot to push the fix into the 7.1.4 version. We added one more fix and then released 7.1.5

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:25 am

Nobody said anything about when the bug with routes was introduced. @Jotne argued that having router auto-upgrade can be extermely hazardous because clearly v7, being under active development, has numerous bugs (and new are being introduced some times) and one can easily get locked out of device ... without being ready for it (if one upgrades on purpose, one can prepare for plan B).

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:38 pm

True MKX.

*) dot1x - fixed "reject-vlan-id" for MAC authentication (introduced in v6.48);
*) dot1x - fixed MAC authentication fallback (introduced in v6.48);
*) tile - fixed bridge performance degradation (introduced in v6.47);
*) webfig - fixed "PortMapping" button (introduced in v6.48.2);
*) crs3xx - fixed switch rules for CRS309 and CRS317 devices (introduced in v6.46.7);
*) bridge - fixed dynamic VLAN assignment when changing port "frame-type" property (introduced in v6.46);
*) dhcpv6-server - allow loose static binding "pool" parameter (introduced in v6.46.8);
*) dns - fixed listening for DNS queries when only dynamic static entries exist (introduced in v6.47);
*) interface - fixed pwr-line running state (introduced in v6.45);
This is just some I did found. There are many more introduced errors, some critical and some cosmetical.
I do remember there was a change in Wifi settings som years back that broke the communication, only way to fix was to change some on both side. Not easy when you have many clients.

So again, do not auto upgrade. Wait to see if no big issue aries. Test on local equipment, then upgrade.
Do your really need to upgrade? Are there a bug fix for a problem, new feature you need etc, upgrade. If not, no need to upgrade.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 25, 2022 12:49 pm

that simply doesn't work on v6 & v7