Community discussions

MikroTik App

steen
Topic Author

The dude devices snmp does not recognize snmp -> interfaces,ip,routing,storage

Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Is this correct place to put discovered problems with "the dude" ?

There is a problem with the dude if you add a Linux (here Centos) or cisco device (here asa5510).
I am having a parallel run with older dude (3.x, 4.x) and the new generation 6.x, where snmp has some issues.

Dude 3.x, 4.x is running in Server 2008r2 on a physical hpdl120G8 box with 8GB RAM and 2CPU and 2 * 250GB mirrored SSD disks.
Dude 6.x running on CHR with 4CPU and 4GB ram with 1GB disk, in a hpdl380g8p with also SSD disks in a raid10 system
CHR is licensed and registered (but not yet payed), to overcome the bandwidth limitations.

SNMP walking them works and show all values, also older versions of the dude (3.x, 4.x) and also other monitoring like mrtg and nagios.

On Cisco ASA devices you are not able to see any of those SNMP values
SNMP -> INTERFACES

On Linux devices you are not able to see any of those SNMP values
SNMP-> IP
SNMP -> ROUTING
SNMP -> STORAGE

It seems like the new dude v6.x map devices does not recognize the oid:s related to them.
It results in you can not have speed on links, neither you can set interfaces to links and so on.

Unfortunately we discovered now more problems with dude and snmp...
Our AIX servers which was perfectly dealt with by dude snmp, now it turned out they lost the ability to see interfaces by snmp, they same way as cisco devices.
Yesterday they all had lo0, en0 and en1, now they have only lo0 left, they have lost en0 and en1 by some reason.
Another oddity is that snmpwalking is very very slow, in the historic 3.x and 4.x it is blistering fast, could it be that snmp simply times out before the interfaces is found (long down in the list so to say) ?

In dude map devices beneath SERVICES, it recognize for linux cpu, disk, memory, ping, ssh, virtual memory.

Anyone who faced this as well, how did you solve it, or is it a bug ?
Last edited by steen on Tue May 01, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxsaf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: The dude devices snmp does not recognize snmp -> interfaces,ip,routing,storage

Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 pm

We have a lots of SNMP issues on The Dude V6, there are some posts about missing interfaces, ??? on labels, gaps on graphs, but Mikrotik just ignoring them. Welcome to V6 Haters Club
Last edited by maxsaf on Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steen
Topic Author

Re: The dude devices snmp does not recognize snmp -> interfaces,ip,routing,storage

Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Hello Folks!

I sorted it out and it was easy.

The dude default is snmp v1, it seems to have problem discovering all devices and system properties, as written above.

By setting snmp v2 on all the dude map devices that did not discover all devices and system properties with snmp v1 it started to work.

But, snmp is slow, it took some time on some devices.

However, the legacy dude does the same job in seconds, but legacy dude has a problem with snmp to, it actually can load a client till the point it crashes and have to be restarted via a power cycle, on in principle all mikrotik devices above rb411 and rb-family we had to disable snmp, devices like sextant, sxt, net metal and other more modern mikrotik devices.

marekf5
just joined

Fri May 04, 2018 12:22 pm

By setting snmp v2 on all the dude map devices that did not discover all devices and system properties with snmp v1 it started to work.

Thank you thank you thank you!

What is happening in snmpV1, though? I've manually checked the snmp dump of the devices which stopped working (for me these were Cisco switches), and everything seems to be exactly the way it is in other devices which work.

SergeyKo
just joined

Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Hello there,
I'm facing simillar SNMP issue, but in my case adittional problem is even worst - I can not get SNMP services read by Dude at all.
Could anyone help me understanding all this thing, please.
I'm not a big expert on networks, however can read some English and already read dude wikis, manuals, tutorials, etc, nothing helped.

So to be clear, I enabled SNMP, created a comunity (many, tried different options, versions), added devices to the map of my network (manual and automatic discovery). only ping service works ok and is up for the devices, and netbios for just 2 devices (mikrotik and xiaomi-wifi repeater). All other services are not discovered in auto discovery, and are down if manualy added.
Will be happy if anyone of you got any idea how to fix my snmp issue.

By the way, one more thing, I also can not get my mikrotic routerOS connected in Dude. appreciate any help on this as well.
Last edited by SergeyKo on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.