Community discussions

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Options for hosting Dude Server

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi All

I have a few customers and would like to monitor them using the dude.

My question is what is the best option for hosting the application ?

I have a fairly big server that supports KVM and I run SolusVM on there ... so i can spin up a VM of most flavor of operating systems.

Should i just build a Windows VM and run it on there or could I even run a KVM machine that directly runs CHR ?

Thanks

Nik

vecernik87

Re: Options for hosting Dude Server

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 pm

I don't think you can run Dude server directly on windows anymore. Now it is only as a RouterOS Package. Therefore you will most probably end up with CHR on KVM or on another hypervisor.

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Really struggling to find any sort of guide out there on how to get CHR up and running on a Centos KVM box :(

vecernik87

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:10 am

I personally needed to run it in Hyper-V so I downloaded VHDX image and created virtual machine with that image. It worked straight away.
I have no experience with KVM but based on https://serverfault.com/questions/57141 ... ortability I understand that suggested format of virtual drive is RAW. Try to download it from here: https://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros ... .3.img.zip (you can see all links at https://mikrotik.com/download ), create your CHR machine, add this drive and run it. Hopefully will be okay. If not, send more details on what you tried and what happened when it did not work. Maybe someone with KVM knowledge will answer.

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Thank you !

To get this up and running I just went with an AWS CHR image - will figure out the KVM route once I've figured out if what I am trying to achieve is possible :)

Nik

macsrwe
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Maybe it’s just me, but for 55 bucks I would just buy a dedicated MikroTik hEX to run Dude on, and avoid all the invented-here hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:39 am

Maybe it’s just me, but for 55 bucks I would just buy a dedicated MikroTik hEX to run Dude on, and avoid all the invented-here hassle.
Thanks for the feedback, tell me where would you place the dedicated MikroTik hEX to run Dude on to avoid all the invented here hassle ?

Nik