Community discussions

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Forced routing with UTM connected both ends to Mikrotik

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 am

Hello everyone.

I need to force routing over a specific interfaces - as in the following (simplified) picture. Assume that between ether2 and ether3 there's just a cable, and no addresses have been assigned so far. The goal is to have a UTM in bridge mode plugged in with WAN interface connected to ether2 and LAN to ether3.

I cannot just daisy-chain these devices, because real configuration is quite complicated with multiple VLANs (e.g. both Internet and LAN are tagged VLANs on the same wire). I can cope with that, it's just I have no idea how to configure the router so that it push packets using non-quite-optimal path :)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
routing with UTM connected.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Forced routing with UTM connected both ends to Mikrotik

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 am

Anyone, please?

tippenring
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 am

If the UTM is in bridge mode, why not simply connect it in-line with one of the ethernet ports?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:38 am

Maybe you should just make bridge for ETH1+ETH2 and the second for ETH3+ETH4 and connect it with this UTM?
Real admins use real keyboards.

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:21 am

If the UTM is in bridge mode, why not simply connect it in-line with one of the ethernet ports?
Thanks, the traffic inside the wire that would be connected to the UTM is tagged VLANs and from what I know it doesn't support VLANs (Sophos). And in real config there will be two UTMs daisy chained (client request), and I don't even know what the second one is. So I assume it will not work. Or am I wrong?

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:23 am

Maybe you should just make bridge for ETH1+ETH2 and the second for ETH3+ETH4 and connect it with this UTM?
Thanks. Sounds interesting. I assume some policy routing will still be required? I'll check that and get back to you.

tippenring
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 am

Thanks, the traffic inside the wire that would be connected to the UTM is tagged VLANs and from what I know it doesn't support VLANs (Sophos). And in real config there will be two UTMs daisy chained (client request), and I don't even know what the second one is. So I assume it will not work. Or am I wrong?
I configured up a pair of Sophos UTM 430s a couple of years ago. I configured VLANs. It wasn't in transparent mode though. I don't know if that makes a difference (I wouldn't think so, but maybe).

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:28 pm

To whoever may be interested - I just gave up and added another Mikrotik to the network. So the UTMs are in between two Mikrotik routers and it works like a charm.
The planned config would be just too problematic (even if it's doable). With the second device it's easy as 1, 2, 3.
Thanks to all who responded.