Community discussions

tapir
just joined
Topic Author

Remote management of SXT LTEs

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:29 pm

Is there an effective/simple way of managing a group of SXT LTEs? The 4G connections will obviously be lacking a fixed IP and be behind NAT so direct connection with Winbox etc won't be possible. I could get all the devices to log into a VPN but I'd prefer to not have to manage a VPN server just for this.
I have toyed with a regular email with status information just to keep tabs on them, but just wondering if there's another way that I may have missed.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Remote management of SXT LTEs

Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:21 am

I would set up a VPN "hub" for those SXT LTE to call home possibly using SSTP; you can dial into the hub and by RoMON or L3 manage any of the SXT LTEs.

This also opens the possibility of running a dude server on the hub, to (mass) monitor and manage the SXT LTEs.
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum

tapir
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks pukkita.. Too used to traditional setups..
I hadn't thought of using another Mikrotik device (or possibly something with RouterOSx86 so I can use the disk for Dude) to manage the fleet.

Looks like the new Hex S is just what I need.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:09 am

Yes, you could go VPS and use CHR; if you prefer having your own on a NOC or Office, couldn't agree more: an hEX or hEX S are ideal, seem to be conceived with this duty in mind: generous RAM, powerful dual core processor, MicroSD... while drawing very little power, taking little space and generating nill heat.
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum