Community discussions

MikroTik App

LEA
Topic Author

RB3011UiAS-RM does not detect devices connected to the USB port

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi, I need help in solving the problem I have with RB3011UiAS-RM.
I have been using this model RB3011UiAS-RM for almost a year and a half.
Recently, I decided to finally transfer The Dude Server from PC version to RB3011UiAS-RM. Pre-connect the USB flash drive to your RB3011UiAS-RM.
I created the ext3 file system on the flash disk by formatting the disk on the RB3011UiAS-RM device
After the transfer, everything worked perfectly on RB3011UiAS-RM, until one day there was a problem connecting to the database from the size of 64 MB dude stored on the flash drive.
I immediately realized that the problem is in the flash disk.
Before removing the flash disk from the device, a procedure was performed:
winbox
System ---> Disk List ---> Eject Drive
The diagnostics of the flash drive via a personal computer gave the following results that some of the memory cells of the flash disk are read with errors.

When connecting a new and working flash drive to the USB port on the RB3011UiAS-RM device, it does not give any results for its definition.

The execution of the command in the device terminal produces the following result:

/system resource usb print

# DEVICE VENDOR NAME SPEED
0 1-0 Linux 3.3.5 xhci-hcd xHCI Host Controller 480
1 2-0 Linux 3.3.5 xhci-hcd xHCI Host Controller 5000
2 3-0 Linux 3.3.5 xhci-hcd xHCI Host Controller 480
3 4-0 Linux 3.3.5 xhci-hcd xHCI Host Controller 5000

The power supply of the USB port is working properly. The constant current of + 5V is present.
I tried to connect various USB (standard 2.0 and 3.0) devices. The result is the same, connected to USB devices are not defined in RB3011UiAS-RM.

In this situation there can be two versions:
1.The problem is at the logical level in RouterOS;
2.The problem is at the hardware level, a malfunction of the USB interface.

Technical data of the device status

RouterOS v6.43;
System Health----> Voltage 23.9V (together with the flash drive (16Gb USB 2.0 Qumo nanoDrive (QM16GUD-NANO-B)) connected to the usb port);

What could be the reason? help me please.

LEA
Topic Author

Re: RB3011UiAS-RM does not detect devices connected to the USB port

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Today, I made the device diagnostics.

Step one, I tried to reset the settings on the device - the result remained unchanged.

Step two, replacing the power supply with a similar one - the result is unchanged.

Step three, measurement of temperature on the radio components inside the device - the temperature is within the limits of the norm.

Step Four, diagnostics of the logical state of the logical signals of the USB at the time of reboot of the device.
The result turned out to be quite interesting.

During the verification it was found out. If you use flash drive USB 2.0, after connecting it to the device. Then we get the following result.
- Reboot - reset all controllers and start the kernel load RouterOS, there is a power failure of the usb port, then power on.

After loading the router, the flash disk is recognized by the operating system. And also the stored files on the disk are displayed.
This works all until the physical removal of the flash drive from the USB port jack.
When reconnecting the flash drive to the USB port, it can no longer detect the flash drive.
This procedure with the definition of a flash drive only works by rebooting the device.

Works only with the version of USB 2.0. The version of USB 3.0 flash drive is not recognized!

I made a simple diagnosis using the passive USB of the hub (USB 2.0) which has a light indication of the connection status of the device.
The status of the power supply + 5V is always OK. Except for the reboot mode of the RB3011UiAS-RM device, when the power supply to the USB port is interrupted, the reset and loading of the device is required.
The LED indicator of the connection mode of the USB port of the communication port can display the following modes:
Step 1
- lit constantly - this is the normal operating mode, when the USB port RB3011UiAS-RM is in working order. You can connect and change flash drives. And everything will work.

Step 2
We pull out the connector of the USB-hub from the USB of the port 3011UiAS-RM, then reconnect it
If the LED indicator on the USB hub starts impulsively with the subsequent dimming in brightness - this means that the work of the USB port will become inaccessible.
If the hub is connected to the RB3011UiAS-RM USB port, the connection status LED will not light up.
Operation is possible only provided after restarting device RB3011UiAS-RM.

In this case, the reason for the strange operation of the USB port is not quite clear:
Logical error?
Hardware error?

wanton
just joined

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:10 am

Bumping this !

I have the same problem.

RB3011UiAS-RM does not detect USB device.

USB 3.0
32 Gb pendrive.

How can I test the USB ports health ? Apart from connecting a simple LED powered USB ???

GreySer
just joined

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Same trouble!
Works only usb 2.0 mode.
Malfunction of the first batch of devices.
Maybe the mikrotik will tell us, how to fix it.
Will the soldering of the connector help?

Yanncd
just joined

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:22 pm

Hello all,
I have the same problem in v6.48.

Chatterstatic
just joined

Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:52 pm

I have the same issue none of the usb drive im inserting are being recognised

tony451
just joined

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 pm

Hi all,

I too have this issue on 6.49.1 and a USB3 stick that has been running The Dude for more than a year. It stopped in mid-November and disappeared. I have tried a number of USB3 devices and they are simply not seen by the OS.
Having just seen the earlier posts in this thread, I connected the same USB3 devices and the original USB3 stick via a short USB2 extension and all were seen by the OS immediately. The Dude is running fine again on the original USB stick.

JavierTF
just joined

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:45 pm

Hi all..

I am experiencing the same issue. In my case, the router (RB3011 RouterOS v6.49.2) appears to detect the USB disk ("/system resourse print", shows the line "4 1-1 SanDisk Cruze Blade 480"), but in "/disk print", no device is displayed. I have tried to restart the computer with the disk connected and nothing...

Any suggestion?

toffifee
just joined

Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:30 pm

Update with ROS 7.14rc1: Same here with my RB3011:
* Got 500GB NVMe in a USB3-case >> not recongnized at all
* With use of a (passiv) USB2-hub in between >> works OK: mounted, formated, used for container. Not nice with USB2, but a solution

BUT: Freuquently the disk ist unmounted. I've no idea what the trigger could be.
* disk-Flag switches from "MB" (=mounted block-dvice) to "E" (=empty)
* re-enabled successfully with
/system routerboard usb power-reset duration=1s
Questions:
* Any idea why the running USB-Device suddenly is unmounted?
* Any idea how to get the mount status = disk-flag in a script? Aiming for a script checking frequently (or if a container is gone) the flag and if not mounted anymore use the power-reset automatically. What is the right command to check the mount-status in a script?

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:39 pm

Not necessarily with Mikrotik hardware/software, but USB3 devices are often tricky, and USB hubs (even if in your case represent a woekaround for he "main" issue) are often a complication.

Everything is possible in these cases, as an example there are several reports of issues with some SanDIsk USB sticks:
viewtopic.php?t=196829
viewtopic.php?t=203217

it could be the same or a similar (but different) issue with the specific controller in your NvMe case/converter.

Since the USB3 speed is unavailable anyway, due to the hub, it would make sense IMHO to try an older (slower) device or another case/converter/device.

About the flag value, you can try something *like*:
:put "$[:tostr [/disk print as-value]]
see:
viewtopic.php?t=179048

toffifee
just joined

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:43 pm

Thank you,

Tried, got all fields, but I didn't get the flag with
"$[:tostr [/disk print as-value]]"
.id=*1;comment=;free=495703195648;fs=ext4;interface=USB 2.10 480Mbps;model=AMicro AM8180;raid-master=none;serial=012345684947;size=500107862016;slot=usb1

will try it now with this check - now waiting for the next incident with the unmounted USB
  :if ([/disk print count-only where slot~"usb1" mounted] = 0) do={

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:00 pm

Yep, but you have to try when you have the missing/unmounted device, its size will be 0 or the serial will be empty or however some field will be different from when the device is correctly mounted

toffifee
just joined

Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:55 pm

yes, that's true. I hadn't this in mind.
Anyway, there are always many roads to Rome :)

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:37 am

Proverbially ALL roads lead to Rome, maybe you are trying to skin a cat, and there is more than one way for that :wink: (cat won't be happy anyway :shock: ).
On the given thread rextended provided also a way to actually save the results of the print command to a file, which surely will result in the flags (just like on console/terminal), but then I believe that it is difficult to parse the result.

toffifee
just joined

Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 am

Just had again a USB incident and it worked :) My solution:
As Trigger I use Netwatch on pi-hole container (port 80, HTTP-Code 200). On Status down I send a mail to myself and start the restart script with
/system script run Container_RESTART_pihole
:local containerToUpdate
:set $containerToUpdate "pihole"

# ########

# if Container exists: STOP + START
:if ([/container/print count-only where comment~$containerToUpdate] > 0) do={

/ log info "[RESTART SCRIPT] $containerToUpdate"

# DISABLE NETWATCH
  /tool/netwatch/disable [find name~"pihole"]

# Stop Container 
  /container/stop [find where comment~$containerToUpdate]

# Wait for container(s) to stop 
  :while ( [/container print count-only where comment~$containerToUpdate status=stopping] > 0) do={ :delay 1 }

# short delay 
  :delay 1

# check: usb 1 unmounted?
  :if ([/disk print count-only where slot~"usb1" mounted] = 0) do={

/ log info "[RESTART SCRIPT] USB was unmounted... power-reset to re-mount and wait for file system..."

/system routerboard usb power-reset duration=1s

/ log info "[RESTART SCRIPT] power-reset DONE"

# Wait for USB drive beeing mounted
  :while ( [/disk print count-only where slot~"usb1" mounted] = 0) do={ :delay 1 }

/ log info "[RESTART SCRIPT] usb1 BACK"

# Wait for file system beeing available
  :while ( [/file/print count-only where name="usb1/mounts"] = 0) do={ :delay 1 }
    / log info "[RESTART SCRIPT] USB was re-mounted again and file system is available. Ready to re-start the container..."

}

# Start the new container
  /container/start [find where comment~$containerToUpdate]

# short delay 
  :delay 10

# ENABLE NETWATCH
  /tool/netwatch/enable [find name~"pihole"]
}
of course it could be triggered without Netwatch or a container (e.g. Watchdog) just to ensure the USB-SSD availability

Frustrating: It just heals the symptom, it doesn't solve the root cause. RB3011 still (ROS 7.14rc1) doesn't run with USB3-devices and even with a downgrad to USB2 it is not stable with my USB-SDD (of course in the chain of RB3011 - USB-Port - USB-Hub - USB/NVME-Adapter NVME-SSD it may be caused by an interference of any component of the chain).
I will try different USB-Hubs and maybe even a USB2-cable would lead to a downgrad to USB2 but without the sudden unmounts?
At least the downgrad of a device to USB2 works for the RB3011 and maybe with different devices more stable as my one
Last edited by toffifee on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:25 pm

Very nice script :), though personally I am not fond of the :while-do-delay approach in general and in this case I find that checking by this method two conditions (of which one is dependent on the other) is superfluous (though nice granularity for testing).

The USB 2 cable should work and it helps avoiding (not applicable to your case) 2.4 GHz interferences, JFYI:
viewtopic.php?t=203470

toffifee
just joined

Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:18 pm

valuable link, thank you. Good point for me: I use some MT APs for my WLAN, the RB3011 is far away in the basement. So, interferences with 2.4GHz shouldn't be an issue in my case. But may be important for others here in the forum.

Still looking for my USB2-cables.. had some in the past... Must be somewhere in my house... but where? :? Probably nothing the forum can help with :lol:

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:18 pm

Must be somewhere in my house... but where? :? Probably nothing the forum can help with :lol:
Well, you can have general advice:
DO NOT look for a USB 2.0 cable!

Go looking instead for a fruit of the ratchet screwdriver tree:
https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Rat ... iver_fruit

You won't find it, but right where you believed it was, you will find a USB 2.0 cable (or a male/female adapter, or something else of which you have forgotten the existence ) :wink:

toffifee
just joined

Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:43 am

:lol:

toffifee
just joined

Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:52 am

Note: Added into Script above: disable/enable Netwatch (if used)

Update USB and sudden unmounts: Replaced yesterday the USB2-Hub (came with a long USB cable ~ 50cm) with another USB2 Hub with a short cable (~5cm). Since this... no unmount anymore. Following the information of the link jaclaz provided earlier... the long cable was probably badly shielded and worked probably as a WLAN-Antenna injecting bad bytes into the USB-connection.

Hence: USB2-Hub with a short cable is the solution to connect any USB3-device to RB3011

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:51 am

I don't know, it could be that or *something else*.

A USB 2.0 cable has 4 wires, of which 2 are for the 5 V +/-.
A USB 3.0 cable has 9 wires, of which 2 are for the 5V (or 9/12/20V) :shock: +/-.

The wires that may operate near 2.4 GHz are the ones that are simply not there on a USB 2.0 cable, but of course nothing prevents that in the cable, or hub or even in the Mikrotik board around the USB connector there can be some (improper) radio signals interference.

I would suspect more the actual USB hub, but really you never know, when it comes to radio (or more generally electronic) interferences it can be anything (and the opposite of it).

Still, I would try to remove the hub and use a male/female connector *like*:
https://etronixcenter.com/it/8166209-al ... 32098.html

Anecdotally when I was a kid I had an electronic piano keyboard that had two 6.35 mm jacks, one near the other, one for the headphones and one for a foot pedal, when I wrongly inserted the headphones in the foot pedal socket I would have (perfectly tuned) the second national channel (AM) on the keyboard loudspeaker.

And there is still the famous/classic magic/more magic switch story :wink: :
http://catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html