MikroTik App

Askey307
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wireless eC, Ce or XX

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 am

Good Morning

What is the difference between the eC, Ce, eeeC, eCee and XX? When would I use which and how can I advice clients which is the best to make use of.

Kind Regards

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Wireless eC, Ce or XX

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 am

Do some simple research you will find your answers - especially in the Mikrotik wiki/Manual

From https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... e/Wireless
Use of extension channels (e.g. Ce, eC etc) allows additional 20MHz extension channels and if it should be located below or above the control (main) channel. Extension channel allows 802.11n devices to use up to 40MHz (802.11ac up to 80MHz) of spectrum in total thus increasing max throughput. Channel widths with XX and XXXX extensions automatically scan for a less crowded frequency based on the number of concurrent devices running in every frequency and chooses the “C” - Control frequency automatically.

Askey307
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Do some simple research you will find your answers - especially in the Mikrotik wiki/Manual

From https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... e/Wireless
Use of extension channels (e.g. Ce, eC etc) allows additional 20MHz extension channels and if it should be located below or above the control (main) channel. Extension channel allows 802.11n devices to use up to 40MHz (802.11ac up to 80MHz) of spectrum in total thus increasing max throughput. Channel widths with XX and XXXX extensions automatically scan for a less crowded frequency based on the number of concurrent devices running in every frequency and chooses the “C” - Control frequency automatically.
That I have done, however, it provides theoretical input. Thus the reason I'm turning to forums for more practical and experienced input. Theoretical knowledge can only help so much in the field.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:09 am

It's still a fairly simple concept that the blurb explains... You choose your control (main) frequency and decide if you want extension to go above/below it. XX for auto-selection so it actively avoids noisy neighbours.

XX is probably better for noisy/changing environments, eC vs Ce is purely based on your own site scan and deciding which part of the spectrum you want to fill up, and using the options to fill in the way you want it filled.

Askey307
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 am

It's still a fairly simple concept that the blurb explains... You choose your control (main) frequency and decide if you want extension to go above/below it. XX for auto-selection so it actively avoids noisy neighbours.

XX is probably better for noisy/changing environments, eC vs Ce is purely based on your own site scan and deciding which part of the spectrum you want to fill up, and using the options to fill in the way you want it filled.
Hmmm that makes sense. Per your suggestion in a AP filled building with let's say 3rd party AP's, would you recommend XX?

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:01 pm

So when i'll play with XX i have to set up frequency=auto?

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:09 pm

No you can specify frequency, and XX will decide which should be control and which should be extension (And adapt). This works better probably for 80mhz extension (XXXX or whatever) where you specify frequency and it will pick where it should push the extension channels.

But if you set to Auto, and XX, it should try and pick the least busiest channel AND pick the best control/extension. I do not believe that frequency = auto automatically adjusts based on noise though, only at first selection.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:51 pm

if i choose one of the frequency and also on Scan-List. What's the point of XX?
My question is how correct do i need to set up frequency and Scan-List to get better result, with XX?

Kiste
just joined

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:11 pm

No you can specify frequency, and XX will decide which should be control and which should be extension (And adapt). This works better probably for 80mhz extension (XXXX or whatever) where you specify frequency and it will pick where it should push the extension channels.

But if you set to Auto, and XX, it should try and pick the least busiest channel AND pick the best control/extension. I do not believe that frequency = auto automatically adjusts based on noise though, only at first selection.
Is the main Bandwith on the control channel? And is it necessary to avoid overlapping control channels?
I think about the concept of multiple Access Point coverage with CapsMan and XX or XXXX, and if one can use 802.11n features without interfering to much into other APs.
I know this post is from 2018 but i search for answers regarding control and extension channels. For me it is not clear where the main communication or bandwith goes.
Thank you very much in advance!

BR Michele

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:23 pm

I know this post is from 2018 but i search for answers regarding control and extension channels. For me it is not clear where the main communication or bandwith goes.
may that helps you: 20/40 Mhz eC and Ce (5Ghz) | MyBroadband Forum

dave864
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:47 am

Hi kiste,
I've not found the examples given to sufficiently explain setting up 40/80MHz. It's an easy pointer to understand what they are and I'm sure you and this thread Op from 2018 understood too.

I'm my case, I've always used 20MHz channel until recently.

Basically, you don't have to set anything and the default is the maximum the hardware can provide. Or should be.

If you want to set things then the control channel should be 20MHz and then use XX or XXXX for 40/80 MHz channel usage. The device with then decide within your chosen frequency channels for the best Ce eC config from Ch 36, 40, 44 or whatever you have programmed in (assume you set 40 with XX).

Personally, I've just plugged 4 frequencies in, then set XX and it chooses something like eC 44 and 48. Something like that. My caps didn't like XXXX but that might have been because it's the frequencies are a bit busy.