Community discussions

sterling
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PPP connection assigned to VLAN or Bridge?

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:10 pm

I've got a l2tp interface set up to VPN in to the router.

I have it set up to hand out on the management IP subnet, which is on a DHCP assigned block on a VLAN.

Is there any way to get it to bridge with the VLAN so when I VPN in I am native layer 2 on that VLAN?

Or should I be using a different sort of VPN connection setup?

What I want is to connect with my computer over VPN and be layer 2 on that management VLAN.

Thanks!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPP connection assigned to VLAN or Bridge?

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 pm

If the VPN client you use runs on a Windows PC, it sets up an L3 tunnel even though the protocol name is L2TP. Interfaces of L3 tunnels cannot be member ports of bridges. L2TP as such does support bridging, so you can set up an L2 VPN between two Mikrotiks using L2TP, but the PC client doesn't.

To my knowledge, out of all VPN types supported by Mikrotik, only the OpenVPN client on Windows PC suppports bridge mode, but OpenVPN implementation on Mikrotik only supports TCP as transport which means some headache where packets get lost on the path between the client and the server.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.